Posts by SliderJeff

Yikes! Thanks for that, Michael.

Well, I guess everyone but those on Mojave should be OK then. Still undecided about moving to 10.14 here; it'll require a new graphics card for my trusty 2012 Mac, and apparently one loses the "splash" / startup screen and option-boot "options"...

Nicky,

My wife has the late 2011 Macbook which requires a different video card vs. my mid-2012 which does not, in order to update to Mojave. From everything I've read, there is NO way to obtain a video card or other hardware to pop inside the 2011/early 2012 versions to allow Mojave to work. Please let me know if you find out differently, as I'd love to get her moved over to the latest OS.

Later,

Jeff

Thanks, Nicky! I'm running Yorkville YSM-1p powered monitors and use a couple different Sennheiser cans depending on if I'm tracking or monitoring playback or just critically listening. I'll start digging into looking at the current gen MOTU stuff. Thanks again!

Regs,
    Jeff

Ouch. As they say in the classics, "That's gotta hurt."

At least when it comes to things like audio interfaces, you should be able to pretend you don't know which chips are used...

LOL! #truth

For reference, here are my RME's specs:

Technical Specifications

Input AD: 6 x 1/4" TRS (4 x Line, 2 x Line/Instrument), 2 x XLR/TRS Combo connector (2 x Mic/Line), all servo-balanced.

Output DA: 6 x 1/4" TRS, servo-balanced, DC-coupled signal path. 1 x 1/4" TRS unbalanced

Input Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial (AES/EBU compatible)

Output Digital: 1 x ADAT optical or SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial (AES/EBU compatible)

MIDI: 2 x MIDI I/O via breakout cable (4 x 5-pin DIN jacks), for 32 channels low jitter hi-speed MIDI

Dynamic range AD: 110 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA

THD AD: < -100 dB (< 0.001 %)

THD+N AD: < -98 dB (< 0.0012 %)

Crosstalk AD: > 110 dB

Dynamic range DA: 110 dB RMS unweighted, 113 dBA (unmuted)

THD DA: -100 dB (0.001 %)

THD+N DA: -96 dB (0.0015 %)

Crosstalk DA: > 110 dB

Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu

Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu

Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

Sample rate internally: 32, 44.1, 48, 64, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 128, 176.4, 192 kHz

Sample rate externally: 28 kHz - 200 kHz

Frequency response AD/DA, -0.1 dB: 5 Hz - 20.4 kHz (sf 44.1 kHz)

Frequency response AD/DA, -0.5 dB: 1 Hz - 43.3 kHz (sf 96 kHz)

Frequency response AD/DA, -1 dB: 1 Hz - 80 kHz (sf 192 kHz)

Thanks again,

Jeff

Thanks, Nicky. I'm actually an ex-Texas Instruments employee and ran one of the Applications and Systems teams for the ARM+DSP product line. I'm not sure if that means I'm FOR using products with TI inside of AGAINST it. :D It's been 4+ years since they gave me the "move to Dallas, or else you have no job" shenanigans... but I'm still a tad bitter.

Jeffro

Yes, I do! Thank you. I will come back to you in a few days. Although I have my JCM 800 for 20+ years, I haven't played it much because I also had a 30th Anniversary head at the same time. So a set of ears that is familiar with that 800 tone can be very helpful to get on the right track with my profiles that I am currently working on.

If you could listen to some audio and give honest (as in: not being friendly if the tone actually sucks) feedback, that would be great.

LOL! I can absolutely do that. And, if need be, I can provide critical feedback without being a total douchetard, too. ;)

Regs,

Jeff

Best bang-for-buck convertor quality too; borderline-esoteric.

I've got an older MOTU Traveler Firewire interface that is just sitting on top of my old rack of unused gear. I am currently using my RME Fireface 400 connected up to my Mac for when I record. I was under the impression that the RME was better overall from a quality of components standpoint, but if you know otherwise, please let me know. I haven't actually spent any time comparing the spec sheets from each to see what's what. You'd think a EE would have done that, no? :)

Regs,

Jeff

808illest,

Sorry, I actually was talking about MODELED pedals inside the Kemper, not external to it, when I mentioned that part of the tone stack. Thank being said, it's good to hear that those tones are in the Kemper somewhere. Are there specific commercial or free profiles you'd suggest I check out once I get a KPA? I'm creating a not-so-short list of the commercial ones I plan to buy. I know for certain I'll be snagging that TopJimi profile of the Paul Gilbert's old Racer X amp and all of Josh from Sylosis' stuff. :)

Regs,

Jeff

Hey gang,

I'm still sacking away the dollars to bite the bullet and snag a Kemper rack model, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone had successfully obtained an old school Savatage guitar tone ala "Hall of the Mountain King", "Gutter Ballet", "Streets", or "Edge of Thorns" era? I've read numerous things online about how Criss ran dual Boss SD-1 pedals into the low input of Marshall JSM800 and other amps, but I wasn't sure doing a multiple of any pedal or anything like that was even possible in the Kemper. Anyway... just an idle mind curiosity this day. If anyone has thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

For reference... these are some examples of the tone I was referencing:

HOTMK:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

GB:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Streets:

EoT:

Thanks,

Jeff

Kick ass! Thanks, MM! I already got my mom to order me the upgrade for Christmas! I realize I sound like I am 13, but I'm 46. :) She's not happy that it's a digital download and I won't be able to actually OPEN something underneath the tree, but I told her that's what I really wanted for a gift. Hopefully the wifey isn't P.O.'d that she got me that. Maybe I can convince her to give me $$ towards getting the damn Kemper already! LOL

Later,

Jeff

I tend to use the metaphor "apples and lawnmowers" when I'm trying to get a Rock-of-Gibraltar to the skull kind of point across, MM. ;)

Anyone who confuses THOSE two things as being similar, probably has bigger problems than figuring out if the KPA can do tone matching to their favorite Zamphir, Master of the Pan-flute shred session. :D

Regs,
    Jeff in Houston