Posts by Bke

Tried some of these this morning, I like them! Now don't stone me for this... Axe fx 2 released a new firmware with what they call ultra res ir, used these monitor out, cab off into the axe fx using an own hammer ultra res pre rola 412 IR, kemper for amp and lead boost, axe for cab, delay and reverb. had a blast using the axe looper and using rig manager to flick through profiles. Going to experiment more over the weekend when I get time. But merging these two technologies could be fun for those with both.

When you plug in the USB from the kemper for the first time after installing the new OS beta, is it meant to install a driver or something on your pc? I didn't notice anything, but when I plug in the USB the kemper hangs shortly after. (Not sure how long as the active rig still works and wasn't paying enough attention). Happened a couple of times ended up resulting in all my rigs getting wiped (glad I had a backup)

If there is a driver can it be installed annually?

System is win 8 64bit. USB 3 if that's relevant.

Hi,

Have had a Kemper for a short while now, and think its great - saw a comment on a board recently that got me thinking what where the evolution of this could lead to. The greatest strenght is in many ways the greatest weakness in my opinion, profiling an amp takes the sonic imprint of the amp at those settings, so requires multiple profiles to get the bases covered for a particular amp - but what if, as part of the profiling process you swept through the bass\tone\mid\gain etc for those ranges to be accurately captured in a profile giving potentially one profile as a digital model of the amp...

Not sure if his has come up anywhere before, just a random lunch time thought;-)

This is a no brainer - go for the AXE FX2.. PM me ive got one on sale :P

Being serious for a moment - they are both excellent! i still have both, play Kemper pretty much exclusively but am really in the honeymoon period still.. have been trying to figure out if i keep both, or just the Kemper (the Kemper is going nowhere)

One of the thoughts ive been having (and this could just be a load of BS, so just humour me) AXE has lots of Amp models, and lots of things you can tweak to your taste... All AMP's aren't the same (i believe) some have a certain mojo, some do not (between same brand\model\year etc..) With the Kemper you get a little of that mojo, from that one amp that was a little special.. sometimes hard to know what your looking for until you find it... and thats why i really like the Kemper - i like Marhsalls, i can quickly do a search on the Exchange for JMP's - stick them onto the kemper and quickly identifiy those one's that i connect with, delete the others and off i go.. AXE FX is great if you know what your looking for and how to dial it in... me... often i only have a rough idea what im looking for, say a JMP type sound, but when i hit the right profile, i know ive found it.. takes little time to find it, and so far the experience is superior for me... (this is all just my opinion, which means pretty much nothing) 8|

Well i hadnt seen a good Kemper vs Axe thread in a couple of days so seemed about right time get at it again :D V7 Axe is in my opinion the biggest improvement via firmware there has been, and ive had Fractal since Standard v4. something or other.. its a really (REALLY) good bit of kit.. im at most a hobbyist with a day job that keeps me far too busy, so for me, for the relatively small amount of time i get to spend pretending ill someday be a guitaris :thumbup: Kemper fits the bill...

Ive had my Kemper for about a month too, love the tones out of it - AFD100 profile is one of my favorites using the Sigi CAB - when AXE2 v7 came out with an AFD100 model i was excited to check it out.. went back to the AXE2 when v7 came out, created a simple patch with the AFD100 was imediately impressed with the tones vs what i was getting on v6 for Slash and other similar types of Marshall tone.. started tweaking this to improve that, started tweaking that to improve this and so on, then stopped, as i realised i was going right down the rabbit hole again.. turned on the kemper, put on my AFD100 profile and straight away i was 'there it is' - realised i was spending time tweaking my AXE patch to sound as good as the Kemper, (I) couldnt get there, back on the Kemper now - above is not a reflection on AXE potential, more a statement of my inability to use it to that potentialy - but then, F it - i just turn on my Kemper and its there so for me, think the Kemper suites me better. haven't decided whether to sell the AXE or not yet, still to early to determine that.. but really enjoying the Kemper experience so far

Very well stated. I guess what riles me up is that the Axe FX actually has a number or real benefits that the Kemper doesn't. Extensive effect selection including vocoder and synth. Since they're modeled instead of "profiled" the amps behave like the amps their modeled after when tweaking the controls. It's a USB audio interface. It's got a editor/librarian application. Etc. Why not lean on it's real strengths as selling points? Why spend the time making b.s. "tests" when your product actually has real strengths? You're right, it does seem like the rantings of a crazy person. Desperation is never pretty.

I think if you look at the famed regular updates from Fractal on both the II and the original Standard\Ultra - the vast majority have always been about improving the core Amp\Cab tone along with bug fixing, and very little focus on improving effects. There have been improvements to the effects, but not ever the main focus in my opinion. Even when the II came out, when asked, Cliff was saying that if your main use if effects there probably isnt much point in upgrading. So assuming that, i think its probably just a pride thing... Cliff and the legions believe they have the best, Kemper has rocked that boat and they don't like it much.. Bells and whistles are all well and good, and i miss USB\Librarian stuff from the AXE (still have a II just haven't turned it on since gettking the Kemper a few weeks ago) but id prefer to drive a Farari with no radio\air con\sat nav than a totally specked out Yaris if your looking for a great driving experience! Don't get me wrong, Kemper has ways to go - Its been Beta far too long (and doens't advertise that its Beta very well.. doesn't say it at retail, which is a little cheeky in my point of view, granted i did know before buying but still...) the aliasing thing does annoy me on some profiles sometimes but generally don't notice it... If AXE Firmware 7 gets the raw feeling of playing guitar through the AXE better than what im getting from the Kemper, no skin off my nose ill move back to the Axe and move on the Kemper, if it doesn't, the AXE will probably be up for sale soon..

Just started messing around with CAB's last night - what a difference!! - was messing around with one of the AFD100 profiles which wasn't really working for me - changed the CAB to one from a pushed JCM800 and bang, AFD100 profile is staying!

This is fun!!

Have an AXE FX2, Kemper arrived yesterday - only got a little time to check it out, but first impressions are pretty good - backed up so i have factory presets, updated firmware and put the Kemper profile pack on, all very easy.

Spent some time going through the stock presets, some very useable profiles already there.. i would say, that the guitar you play can have huge impact on the tone (like real rigs) some profiles that sounded terrible to me on my Strat, sounded pretty good with a Les Paul etc..

Anyway, very early days but enough of a 1st impression to keep me digging in. Will it replace my AXE FX 2? Don't know... will i keep both? don't know.. but so far very glad i took the plunge to check it out...

Wasn't sure about the look of the ol lunch box, got the black one and think it looks cool, very easy to navigate, but already a little frustrated with lack of an editor, or more importantly a decent browser for profiles..

Lol thanks all - ive been really impressed with how quickly this forum has got going, and seems like a great community here - to say i am at amatuer level would be a gross exageration of my ability :( but looking forward to contribute where i can!

Thansk for the reply Garrincha! -

have been listening to some more clips etc, and decided to go for it - order placed, should be here by the end of the week - looking forward to the begining of a new journey!