Posts by ae5d0ce250e6d117c00cf94e500a8cff9495d05a

Singing... well ... suboptimal monitoring conditions are kinda to be expected when there's 10 bands on the same bill...
    Luckily I did get enough guitar on my monitors. Here's another song where the guitar can be heard a bit better:

[YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

This was a happening with ten bands, each played a 20 minute set.
    I profiled my Ecstasy 100B rig and took just the KPA and a MIDI pedal to the gig.
    Minimum hassle, the PA guys loved it!
    [YOUTUBE]

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/YOUTUBE]

I searched for 'loop' in the latest wikpa and it appears that this tidbit about the loop level is not in there yet:

The KPA Loop send level is the original level of the guitar.
    The Return expects that same level to be unity gain.

From this thread: Loop Mono - Signal far too hot

I'd put it in the specifications section under FX loop level.

I got the fcb1010 today.
    I though i'll try it out a little before ordering the UNO chip, no problems with changing presets,
    but couldn't get the expression pedals working..
    Can I get them to work without the UNO chip or am I wasting my time?

The FCB1010 allows you to change what the expression pedals send per preset.
    Could be that the presets you were using had the expression pedals turned off.

If you have a Windows PC you can use this utility to program the stock FCB1010: http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

Just tried these with a VHT 2/50/2 (6L6) and a Mesa Thiele cab.
    Sounds great! Excellent work! :thumbup:

Some of the magic is still in the cab part of the profile, it sounds less real when the cab section is off.
    Bruno, have you tried this:

I read on TGP that if you turn off the cab on the comparison Kemper amp then your resulting DI profile will all end up in the amp slot and won't be split over the amp and cab slots. I have been doing this with my recent DI profilings.

I wonder if that works...

OK, learned something new...
    The clarity setting affects the tightness of the lows but it also changes the frequency balance when it is adjusted. I found that if I set the clarity where I want it (to match the reference) before refining, the KPA readjusts the frequency balance during refining and I can get closer to the reference.

Here's the profiles I've done so far:
    http://www.brutalupload.com/file/index.php?f=d7kQRWy7

I'll put the profiles on rig exchange when I've done a more complete set with all the modes of the amp and maybe with different speakers.

rdnzl M1000 - 2012-07-08 13-37-12.kipr

amp: Metaltronix M1000 (dirty + stage II on, mid shift at 3)
    cab: Mesa Thiele 1x12 EVM12L
    mic: AKG C414ULS
    micpre: Avedis MA5

rdMetaltrx808 - 2012-07-08 13-36-41.kipr
    rdMetaltrx809 - 2012-07-08 13-36-58.kipr
    - These two have the RetroSonic 808 before the amp cleaning up the bass.

Then with the new profile just refine for at least ten minutes of noodling around, don't forget to hit those strings pretty hard (and let them ring out), but do a variaty of styles, low notes, high notes, chugging, arpeggios, power chords, riffs.

This is exactly what I did except I didn't look at the clock so I don't know how long I was refining. Probably 5-10 minutes.
    I'll go to the studio now and experiment with longer refining times and doing the whole process several times.

Did you guys ever wonder if Christoph could have done also the refining with some kind of a test signal but decided that it's more fun to involve the user in the profiling process? ;)

Day 2, let's try profiling...

I already had a Mesa Thiele cabinet miked with a 414 and a Metaltronix M1000 head in the control room ready to go. Connected the speaker cable and set up the mic pre (no Kemper yet) - sounds usable, let's go with this.

Connected the Kemper for profiling. I did not find the usual connectivity info in the manual: input/output impedances, nominal levels, which ones are balanced and how (servo, etc.). I've seen some of this stuff in the forum but it really should be in the manual.
    Big thumbs up for the ground lifts! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I multed the mic pre output to the Kemper and the A/D-converter so that I could monitor the mic with or without the Kemper. First try listening to the reference amp through the KPA: WTF? The Kemper output sounds nothing like the mic pre output??? Found it, the levels set for my A/D were way too high for the KPA but it did not sound obviously wrong - just way different than the source. Sorted, got it sounding like the source. Note to self: remember to A/B with the direct source when setting up for profiling.

First profiling attempt:
    Playing high notes the sound was spot on but on the low strings the bass got too flabby. Tried to get it under control with pre&post EQ but could not get it anywhere near to what the amp sounds like.

Store profile - ouch, I get it. We definitely need a librarian to be able to do the tagging on a computer.

2nd try: during refining I avoided the lowest notes. I played only the low notes that are naturally really tight, like only going down to D and C and not playing the low E-string at all.

Result: ..... here it comes ...

... "holy crap, this is it!"... :D

Yes! Much tighter. This thing works! 8o

There's still a difference between the profile and the real amp but I kind of expected that given the caveat about multiple distorting stages in the manual. This amp is a bit unusual because it is based on the Marshall circuit but the extra gain stage is AFTER the tone stack.

What's awesome is that though the profile sounds different, it does not sound worse. I could easily be fooled into thinking the difference is because I'm listening to two real amps.

KPA arrived on wednesday. I've been reading the forum for a week
    so the expectations were pretty high. :D

Here's my random observations from the first day with the KPA:

Browsing through the factory sounds ...
    ... mmkay ... not bad ...
    ... well ... pretty good ...
    OK, this is different from the other "devices that think they're guitar amps".
    But is it better?

The touch sensitivity is there, excellent!

I guess clean really means clean and that ain't working for me. Somebody on the forum said to drop the gain on distortion profiles to get clean sounds and yes, that does it. Got a nice clean tone from "Goldie e906" with less gain and air chorus on it. Hey, that Air Chorus sounds really nice. :thumbup:

I like the reverb. Haven't A/B:d it against anything yet but I have a feeling that it might kill some TC boxes. ;)

Noise gate: I hate gates and don't use them. Usually adding a noise gate just makes the noise more obvious because it cuts in and out. And I like being able to have notes fade out naturally without a gate cutting them short. But the Kemper noise gate is a different animal! It works even when I drop the guitar volume and play softly. Fading notes don't get gated too early. I might actually use this!

Patch changes are fast and there is no dropout, excellent!

All in all I found half a dozen rigs that were promising but no "holy crap, this is it" yet. Of course at the end my ears were shot from browsing too many profiles in one session and I didn't get to try any user rigs.