Posts by FenderTones

Running the Kemper into the power section of a tube amp with a guitar cab, (thereby using the Kemper as the preamp rather than the preamp of the tube amp), gives you "amp in the room."

Does your Peavey Triple XXX have an Effects Loop Return?

If so, run the Kemper Monitor Out into the Effects Loop Return (not Send) of your Peavey Triple XXX. Be sure in the Kemper to have Monitor Cab Off (Box checked.)

Use the Master Volume on the Peavey along with the Master Volume on the Kemper to control volume. Start off with zero volume on the Peavey.

Speakers make a huge difference. I'm sure you'll get great results.

I bought two Kemper Power Kabinets and the Kabinet is absolutely amazing, I love it. To my ears the Kabinet is so close to the point of sounding like "amp in the room" that it might as well be.

My question is, has anyone had success mic'ing the Kabinet? Christoph Kemper says, "Due to its special cone design, the Kemper Kone speaker not suitable for close mic'ing. Use it for personal monitoring only."

The reason I ask is because I bought the Kemper Power Kabinets with the intention of gigging the Kabinet at outdoor events where sound companies virtually always prefer to mic your cabinet. My experience with sound companies dealing with direct outs is not good. Also, I've gigged the Kemper for years and I know from personal experience that different powered PA speakers behave differently to the Main Outs EQ. In other words, I don't trust a sound company taking my Kemper direct.

The basic question is whether or not someone has successfully mic'ed the Kone, and if so what was the method?

Thanks!

I have two Kemper Stages and they have both worked flawlessly, I keep one Kemper Stage in my home studio and I gigged the other Stage prior to the pandemic.

My Kemper Stage in the studio and my Kemper Stage gigged live have both been totally solid.

To save the forum from my creating another thread, here's a follow up question:

I bought the Kemper Stage this morning and I'm picking it up this afternoon. I'll be copying everything in my current Kemper Rack to the Kemper Stage. Once I load the newest 7 operating system into the new Kemper Stage I'm planning on just doing a Backup on the Rack and doing a Restore to the Stage. I assume this will work perfectly, but my question is moving forward using Rig Manager with both the Rack and the Stage Kemper. Should I use two separate User Names in Rig Manager, one name for each Kemper? Or will Rig Manager know the difference between my Rack and the Stage? I also assume I'll have a different owner name in the Kemper Rack and the Kemper Stage?

Thanks!

Please pardon the rookie Kemper Stage question! Can one of the four Effect Buttons be used to toggle a Send/Return off and on? I'd like to use one external pedal (a Byrds JB2 compressor) that would always be turned on and connected to a Send/Return. I understand my current Kemper Rack can accomplish this using the floor controller, but I just want to make sure if I buy a 2nd Kemper, a Kemper Stage for gigging, that the Send/Return can be toggled on/off while leaving my JB2 always on.

Thanks!

I gigged my Kemper for about 6 months. I loved it, but for me it's easier to haul in a tube amp and mic to FOH. I now use the Kemper for recording and practice.

When I gigged the Kemper my backup was a Supersonic tube amp, I hauled the Supersonic in and it sat at the back of the stage in case I needed it, I believe you always need an immediate backup, I think it's very poor form to make a crowd wait if you have the backup locked up outside in your car or trailer,

I currently gig a Twin Reverb, For outdoor events my backup is my Supersonic and 2nd backup is a Joyo American Sound, For bar gigs I gig the Twin Reverb and my backup is the Joyo.

That indicates that your Rocktron MidiMate is working on that channel too, so it wasn't a problem of the Kemper.

3.0 evidently altered/changed the "MIDI Global Channel #" because I never touched the MidiMate.

If the MidiMate is on Channel 2 it's been there all the years I've owned it. IOW, one minute the Kemper is switching just fine and then I update to 3.0 and it instantly stops switching.

I installed 3.0 and I've lost the ability to switch rigs with my Rocktron MidiMate MIDI controller. Has this happened to anyone else? Advice?

Update: My issue solved. I set the MIDI Global Channel to Channel 2 and it's working again. System > Page 9/12 > Set to Channel 2 with soft knob.

Yeah, right now I run my Mesa Roadster combo which is more than loud enough for me on stage. I mic it for the FOH. So all I really need is something that'll be plenty loud enough on stage because I'll then be sending the signal for the audience to the FOH to be sent through the main PA speakers.

I'm also running a G-System right now. I was told I could use that as the footswitch to control the Kemper. But the problem is, I'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes to MIDI and I'd have NO clue how to set it up or program it so that it can control the Kemper and switch between rigs.

The only slightly tricky part of MIDI control of the Kemper is how you assign MIDI channels on the Kemper itself - and it's actually very simple. With a profile loaded press the System button - it will start flashing. The lower left control knob will now allow you to select MIDI PrgChg# - this is the MIDI channel number you want to match with your footswitch. Make the channel number change, 1-128 and then press the "assign" upper right button.

I'm not familiar with the G-System but evidently it will do basic bank mode switching. The good thing about the Rocktron Midimate is that it has a customizable 8 digit LED. I can name my rigs (profiles) in the Midimate which means I can look down at the floor and see the name of a rig as a song name, or an amp name. In other words, I don't have to memorize which numbers on the footswitch are which rigs in the Kemper.

I've been reading as much as I can about the Kemper and the Axe FX II over the last couple of months. I have concerns over both of them, but I think I'm learning toward the Kemper due to the fact that it APPEARS to be easier to use right out of the box.

About 99% of what I'd want to use this unit for is for live shows in a modern rock cover band (Shinedown, Papa Roach, Stone Temple Pilots, type of stuff). So with that in mind, knowing what you all know now about your Kemper, if you were in my situation, what would you buy to get the best possible sound out of this unit?

• Would you go with the powered or un-powered unit?
    • I don't think I can afford the $999 Atomic wedge, plus shipping to the United States, so what would you say is the next best thing to use for speakers to get the most true and transparent sound from the Kemper.
    • Would I need to get 2 monitors in order for it to be loud enough on stage? And be honest here. I'm playing with a drummer who hits VERY hard. I understand that the speakers may not push the air like a 4x12 cab would, but will I be able to crank this thing up loud and still not have it sound all harsh or brittle?
    • If I want to run the unit in stereo, what should I buy for that type of a setup (I find it COMPLETELY RETARDED that there is just a mono out on the back of the powered version).
    • What should I be looking at in terms of a footswitch? What do you all feel is the best one to use, that is also reasonably priced (the Mastermind GT stuff is stupidly expensive). I like the way the MFC controller for the Axe is set up so that you can have banks of presets, but then also be able to assign buttons to turn on and off effects within that preset.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Kemper. So I just want to make sure I'm buying the best rig possible from the beginning instead of buying a certain monitor for example, only to find that what I should have bought was an unpowered version of another monitor.
    Thanks for all the help guys!

I've owned my Kemper for nearly two months. It still totally blows me away every day. I'm only running three basic amps; I purchased two from The Amp Factory and I also use the AC 30 that was profiled by Kemper. I bought my Kemper to record an album but by the first weekend I knew I'd gig with it as well. I typically mic a tube combo to FOH. I've always used my 60 watt combo in a sidewash configuration as both my stage monitor and to run to FOH. I'd already gigged with 11R for a year and so making the transition to the Kemper has been super easy.

1. I bought the rack non-powered version. In retrospect I'd get the amp version because after buying and returning virtually every active solution (I never tried CLR) I finally settled on a QSC GX7 amp > passive JBL JRX 112M. I use the JBL as a wedge, sidewashed. Aimed up it hits my ears perfectly and the GX7 has enough power.

2. The GX7 and JRX 112M (now discontinued I believe) are a decent combination.

3. If you buy a powerful enough amp (assuming you're running your mains to FOH) one monitor is all you'd need. I formerly gigged with a K12 for about a year. I didn't care for it with the Kemper but it's certainly loud enough.

4. I run mine mono.

5. I use a Rocktron Midimate in bank mode. Very simple and works great although there is a volume dropout and lag switching between rigs.

Good luck and all the best!

Gainfreak, I see you're online now, probably writing stuff that'll lead to less money in my pocket! :) I could have demoed a Kemper today at a dealer near me. I literally fought off the urge and did yard work. I've got two Eleven Racks. Can I sell them for enough for a Kemper lol. Actually, I LOVE Eleven Rack. I play in a cover band and the 11R is a beautiful, fantastic tool.

OK, let's hear more about the Kemper that's in my future. 8o - that's me waiting lol.

Thanks!
    I just downloaded them and tried to instal them and I'm getting an error. I just used the search feature and it said to reformatt my USB drive. Did that twice and I'm still getting errors.
    Im going to have to stop now and start reading because so far every profile Ive tried sounded blatently direct and not to inspiring.Dont freak people...... I'm sure as of now it's pilot error on my part but Im hearing nothing even remotely close to some of the clips Ive heard hahahhaha! I'll run by some of my issues with some people in the know just to make sure I have eveything loaded correctly :D :thumbup:

Oh rats. "Oh rats" is all I could come up with. I'm sitting here trying to find the fitting words to express my emotions lol. Rats! Get that thing fired up lol. It has to sound like you're sitting in front of a tube amp cranked up like it's your last night on earth and to hell with your hearing.

But also seriously, (although everything in this message is serious) what are you using regarding monitors?

Thanks, I really am looking forward to getting home later, popping a beer and reading what you think. Hopefully you'll give us the rundown on the guitar and pickups you're using regarding your first impressions - as well of the style your playing and the type of tone you seek. I've been looking for a specific tone lately so as a sideline here's a question for you and anyone else that happens to have an idea. I was out at a bar last weekend listening to a very good band. The guitarist sounded great, absolutely fantastic tone. He was playing a Les Paul and I was fairly shocked when I went up closer and saw he was playing in the neck position. His tone was tube heaven, slightly distorted - clean, silky - distorted and clean at the same time, does that make sense? I remember seeing an old Led Zeppelin video with Jimmy Page getting amazing tones with the neck pickup. Anyway after the show I went up and talked to him. He was using a Luker amp (never had heard of it). It was a 20 watt amp but he had it running at 5 watts. He had it mic'd up and amplified (too many amps to see what they had going on) but the bottom line is that it was very impressive.

So, my first comment to Kemper owners is look and see if anyone has profiled a Luker amp. Secondly, I'd love to have that guy's tone and so the first thing I did was run to GC and bought a new pickup (SD Jazz) for my Epi Les Paul and of course with my 11R I can't get anywhere near it... So I ordered a Humbucker From Hell, maybe that'll get closer. But obviously all week I'm thinking "If I had a Kemper and that guitarists cooperation I could cop the tone with the Kemper." Anyway, that's the attraction to the Kemper...

Alright, my apologies if these ramblings wasted anyone's time - looking forward to your first impressions.