Posts by b_ryan

I’ve never been able to apply this successfully to any of my guitars. It just sounds like a weird electric guitar. To me it’s completely useless. And the iPhone recording isn’t convincing me either. I do admit that sometimes your guitar sounds like a contrabass. The stuff that doesn’t sound like that just sounds like a bad electric guitar. Not to be a killjoy. But I don’t see the point of this effect.

Before the Kemper was announced, no one in the public had imagined such a thing would be invented, generally speaking. Mr. Kemper is likely to bring an even newer technology, that maybe is or isn't related to the KPA . The Virus synth series has also been unique, so I suspect there may be something coming that is also unique, once again.

I believe so as well.

And for this we don't need a Profiler 2 ... because all this can be done with software and the current Profiler. No new hardware required.

No....the hardware is ten years old. That’s what need a touch up to stay in the game for the next ten years. Plenty of cool stuff to be added, but cannot as long as the hardware is limited.

Nothing beats dedicated knobs and buttons for quick adjustments.

And yet I prefer RM over controlling the Kemper by physical knobs ;) And plenty prefer vst synths over the physical synths. It’s just way easier imho to noodle around on a big screen than doing it the old school way. I bought an expensive midi keyboard to control vst’s. I use Cubase and Reason. Always used Reason for midi, so I bought midi keyboard dedicated to Reason at that time. Did I ever use it? No. It was a romantic idea to sit down and use the knobs etc and feel “at one with the music”. I never play chords or anything on the keyboard. I draw everything in. It’s just more convenient to me. But the conclusion must be, that we are very much different ;)

Isn’t the difference in the small details when comparing Quad and Kempers approach to capture/profile and stating that it’s not the same? I mean....it’s kinda the exact same thing, they do. Put out various signals into the rig chain and digitally analyzing the return.

I think competitors will get around the patented rights of Kemper by not implementing the profiling/capturing to the customers. But if they privately get their sounds from the same approach, people will not care. They just see a plug-in, that sounds awesome.

ATT: dahla

I only speak of technology. Technology development is many things. It’s both hardware and software. So to dismiss the car argument is not correct, when I’ve never stated it being about software. Only newer technology. In cars and tv’s there are both. So that’s not a logical dismissal.

You would of course opt for the newer solution or you would demand a huge decrease in price. That’s pretty much how everything goes involving products. New and more advanced stuff arrives and the old drops in value instantaneously, because the newer is often better. The tv’s are better now than ten years ago. The cars are safer and better now than ten years ago.

b_ryan

First of all I would like to admit that I don't know anything about how things work in places I have never been or don't know anyone making music there.

I know ;) It’s just me exaggerating a bit to state that we all act and believe according to what we experience and the filter we meet the world. To a certain extent anyway.

I also think that one has to put into the equation, that the price, the PR and the general business strategy varies from company to company. It might be a huge factor how present the specific units are. You pretty much can’t get your hands on the Axe FX III. The same thing with Axe FX II prior to that. The Kemper products you can get wherever and whenever you want. They push their products in a whole different scale than Fractal does. That combined with the price difference might be a huge factor regarding what unit people are going for.

Doing or watching the blind test between the Kemper and the Axe FX people in general cannot hear which is which. People can hear the difference though. But if people cannot separate which is supposed to be the the more realistic “tube sound”, then all arguments pro Kemper seems obsolete. Then it’s not the one factor people should be concerned about when going for a digital solution to their amp setup.

ATT: Nikos

I kinda get where you’re going with this, but it’s too simple to state that the Kemper is a tube rigs players tool and that the majority that buy the Kemper are tube rig fanatics.

Looking at myself I never had a tube amp. Only had a transistor amp once. The rest has been digital solutions since 1999 or something like that. And looking back some of it sucker, but I liked the convenience about a digital solution. So in regards to me your idea fits perfectly. I didn’t need an editor, but I surely wanted one because it’s way easier to navigate.

But looking at the people I know, who have a Kemper now or would like to are all coming from different places. Some are tube fanatics, some have tube rigs but needed/need an easier solution to record, some has been digital like me and the people already owning tube setups are not dwelling in the idea of it being close to an amp. That is very much subjective thinking and a personal thought one cannot bring around as a fact. Some prefer stuff one way, some another way and others a completely different way. It’s difficult to make a conclusion like that. That’s a simplistic way at thinking. “Because I see this, it must me true”. No, that not the case. The only thing to be true is, that you and the people you know probably have the same ideas regarding gear and what makes sense to you. You cannot draw any conclusion from that.

In fact I know tube players that doesn’t want the Kemper. They want the Axe FX III. So what to make of this?

Yes....people keep talking about the devaluing of the first version of the Kemper. Yes....it will be a lot cheaper. For me personally I’ve had it for nearly 10 years now. Will I feel that I loose money on a new release? No. To me I’ve already gotten a lot out of it and it has earned its retirement. And a new one is progress like a lot of other stuff. And progress costs money and the old goes down in value. That’s not science.

And I agree upon the claim, that Kemper will not feel pressure from “the new kids on the block” to release a new version. To a certain extent anyway. The cannot just sit there with the arms crossed and deny that they will loose market shares and feel fine with that and just wait until they sell close to nothing in regards to what the push now. There will be a certain time, where they are gonna have to react. But I also believe that they will go about it in their own way and in their own pace and not compromising their vision.

They will put out something great and within that new great solution (whatever it is), it’s gonna have many other features of old as well.

It’s not the same. I think your kinda missing my point. A car is a physical, mechanical thing. And it mostly about about the hardware. Probably. (Upgrade your 10 year old car just to get Apple car play you say? Sure... 8o)

What makes the Kemper tick is the software. Not the hardware. And the software is not «old».

I suspect that you know absolutely nothing about cars and the technology that goes into cars. Especially today. Why do you think they connect a new car through a cable to a computer to find possible errors? Because it’s all mechanical? Tell that to all the French cars that comes into the shop with technology and wiring problems ;)

But if you still think that the technology in a car is indifferent and a car just is a metal box on 4 wheels, then maybe a television will do the trick. I think we all can agree on, that the picture etc. gets better and better through technology and that 10 years in this field of technology is somewhat equivalent to a lifetime in other areas.

I don’t get the «but it’s old» argument. I really don’t. It’s the software that matters, and that is contantly evolving. I mean, OS 8.0.6 is brand spanking new.

To me....yes and no. The profiling technology is approximately 12 years old and most clips on YouTube that I’ve seen, miss something in regards to the reference amp. Usually a bit too much low mids. I stopped doing profiling myself because I reached the same conclusion many years prior to watching those YouTube clips. That technology must have the ability to get a bit closer. So why not try to perfect this aspect of it? Try to reach the magic 100%. I usually reached about 90% with some eq noodling in the profiling phase. And have you heard the crisp sound of the Neural Quad when profiling/capturing? A bit too much highs compared to the reference amp, but also very close and a bit more open in it’s sound compared to the Kemper imho. At least in the videos, I’ve seen. I suspect that Kemper continue their own private quests for the perfect profiling chain. And I do believe that 12 years (or how long ago they actually managed to invent this method) ago compared to now were technically less advanced than now. So the idea of them developing their own product’s ability is not far fetched imho.

But I state this almost in every post. I love the sound of the Kemper. But I also find other products appealing.

Everyone knows that eventually tech will become old. Imagine you wanting to buy a brand new car. The one brand new car is 10 years old. The next one just reached the market. Which one would you prefer if money wasn’t an issue? You would probably want the new one like the rest of us. And why? Because it contains the newest technology. Why is it any different here? Tech becomes old. And ten years usually is a very loooong time. But I admit that the Kemper doesn’t fall into that category. It is still very much relevant. But two years ago they were alone on top....pretty much. Now not so much. BUT....will I ever sell my Kemper? Probably not unless a second model arrives. I’m still a fanboy, but a fanboy that sees himself realistic when looking into the future and looking at what already exist elsewhere. I’ll probably support Kemper for life. They are amazing. Their support is not of this world. And the value for money has been crazy.

Not true.

Of course. Don’t take it literally. But it’s the most common setup. I haven’t done so in about 15 years. I cannot remember seen a setup with only one mic for at least a decade unless it’s in a live situation. But does that mean that all people feel the necessity of a more balanced and nuanced picture of the amp? Of course not. Dinosaurs comes in many colors.

YES, WE DO! ;)

As people state it’s ten years old now and I’ve had it for almost ten years. To ME it’s an old machine now and I will not particularly loose money, since I’ve had it for many years. It has earned its value already. But for people just jumping onboard, I can see your point. And yet again not. EVERY company out there puts out new stuff that makes the old worth less. So what? That’s the nature of things. Then you don’t wanna buy stuff, if you’re afraid of that happening. That will always happen.

But the fact that many don’t find the profiling accurate enough, should be reason enough to brush up the profiling procedure.

The fact that a profile usually is a “one mic only” thing, also makes for a slight adjustment regarding the profiling if a regular recording setup is the focus. No one records guitars with only one mic on the cab anymore. Always at least two mics on the cab to get a more nuanced sound. Yes.....people make profiles with two mics through a mixer. True. But if you can do several profiles and mix them together and go back to adjust to your liking, it would be a huge advancement in closing in on a more nuanced sound.

So because YOU don’t like the idea, doesn’t make it the absolute truth, because you feel that way. Is my thoughts the truth? No. It’s my subjective opinion. And it’s absolutely equal to yours. So relax a bit and don’t get a stroke.

I see lots of great stuff in the Kemper as it is and I love it. But do I see stuff that could be better? Yes, I do. And would I like them? Of course.

For me there hasn’t been many competitors up until now. Axe FX III and Neural Quad especially are giving us options, that ARE cool. And several plugins. And they sound great. What’s wrong with expressing thoughts about a possible Kemper 2? I really don’t get your negativity. If you don’t want to get the latest and best gear be my guest and stay in the past. Some of us do like the gear that sets the standards. And the Kemper 1 is not doing that anymore. It sounds great and the fact that they keep updating the unit is crazy. It’s a totally different machine from when I got it. But still....that’s not the same as keeping up with the competitors. You don’t care. But I actually do.

So I think we might leave it that. That it’s okay to want different stuff and seeing different possibilities.

It’s Friday. Cheers.

Hopefully I got closer to understanding. If not, I will eject! :)

I highly doubt that :D I seem to have some work to be done regarding clarifying my points and getting people to understand my twisted head ^^....so good luck ;)

To be more precise. I only focus on the end result. Not how they get there and if they use HW or SW. Just the result.

I guess you could probably create tech that could analyze amp data like the Kemper, as a SW program on a computer, but then are you playing it back on a generic sound card as well?

Not sure how big of a market there would be for a SW only profiler that has to be on a computer. Then again, I couldn't imagine bringing my laptop to a gig and "playing it" that way but I know people do it.

I’m not talking about a SW solution to profiling. I’m only talking about companies using the Kemper way of achieving the sound through profiling or their take on it anyway. And then creating an amp sim out of that. Exactly like the Kemper. You might make a snapshot of a specific setup, but you do get to fiddle around with everything afterwards like an amp sim.

Its taken nearly 10 years for another product to replicate the profiling process....partially I suspect becuase other companies are committed to modelling, plus there are some similar functions ( tone matching) that go part way.

How can we be sure about this? I would think that when it first came out many companies hired (or engaged their already employed) engineers to what is going on with the profiling sounds and how it works. To my relatively tiny knowledge in this field I would think that engineers rather quickly would state, that these are EQ sweeps, white noise etc and would then have a good idea what it is and how it works and then create something similar. What I’m saying is, while you state, that it’s been ten years and the code hasn’t been broken, I say that some companies already experimented with this and put out to the people in a new package without the profiling part. Just the sound. But again....I have no particular knowledge to state this. To me it’s just logical, that others try to cash in, when they see something new which achieves great results. Why then keep doing it the old fashioned way?

It makes a lot of sense. But what I think is, that a lot of companies already has breached that and makes their sounds that way. I doubt that it’s still a mystery ten years in. Someone wrote, that the TH-U can handle Kemper files. If they can handle Kemper files, what’s holding back regarding doing the stuff prior. Namely the profiling? Of course the profiling itself, if it’s that difficult as you imply. But the Quad Neural does something like it. I really can’t wrap my head around the fact, that it’s not a simple task to enter any digital machine and see the codes. But you know more than me in that matter and I appreciate your input and insight.

Well the Kemper's just a computer with knobs and input/output jacks really. There's no reason anyone couldn't write similar software for a computer with a keyboard and a mouse. I couldn't imagine why you or anyone would think this wouldn't be possible???

I have always been thinking, that this would be easy for the right people. But V8guitar kinda implies something else. And I ask because I’m a complete novice regarding IT.