Posts by b_ryan

ATT: V8guitar

Are you implying that some IT geeks or whatever cannot just buy a Kemper and analyze its data and make a similar solution pretty easy? I kinda thought that this was pretty easy for computer geeks to do this. I ask because I have no clue whatsoever.

i think it's one of those things that you can get used to but also it's one of those things that some people can live with and others can't. I've always been extremely sensitive to it and where i didn't mind it at some point (as long as it's below 10ms roundtrip) it has come back with a vengeance on keyboards now that i've been playing my analog piano so much. I recently went through all my guitar plugins again which i hadn't touched since i got the Kemper .. and even when cranking the latency as low as it would go it still didn't feel as immediat as my analog amp or the Kemper. But i know what you mean, i've had many people say to me "what the hell you mean .. it's fine" ^^

You’re crazy ;)

Well, I think you need something other than a standalone plug. Maybe something like my Apollo Solo, but from Kemper. It could have some processing like running a UAD plugin to help offload the CPU. Then you get a recording interface with the Kemper profiles as a possible plugs to run. Just not at UAD prices! Ha!

Yet again I try to explain....I suspect that people don’t wanna read the whole thing. I get that. But it seems like either people don’t read the whole topic or I am very very bad at trying to explain in detail, what I mean. I do believe that I have tried :D

I do NOT mean the Kemper itself. I mean the technology behind profiling. Another company applying this way of achieving its sounds and then putting it out there to the masses for them to go crazy. Do they need this particular circuitry to run a profile achieved the Kemper way. Is that physical unit absolutely fundamental for running THIS data? I hardly believe it.

I meant prior to starting the topic. So it makes sense.

I see your point. If you somehow can do a profiling and combine it with a new profiling and combine that with a new profiling. The amount of processors can be dramatically decreased. It would be a solution that is usable, but it will demand a lot more time to do. You can only hear the one mic at the time and you do a profile. Then you need another profile with another mic in another position and do a profile. By now you have to spend time to judge if it’s good or not. And if you want three mics on a cab (and thereby three profiles in one), then you have to do another profile and judge and see if it goes well with the two others. You might have to do this several times. Instead you can hear it instantly by placing the mics at the same time and a lot faster judge if the overall sound is what you want. And then you can nudge the profiles up and down and eq and what not. A lot easier than doing it one mic at the time. You don’t do that in the studio. This will get you closer to a real studio setup. I cannot see it not making sense. But will I settle for your solution, if the other one isn’t a possibility right now or if the kinda choose to leave something out for a third version in 20 years :D....yes, I would settle for that solution. But that’s not innovative enough imho.

ATT: stickman

It’s weird. I never experienced latency when playing guitar through an audio interface. Neither my new pc with i7 processor or my very old pc with i3 processor have had any noticeable latency. I never really understood the problem people talk about. I know it’s there of course. But I never felt it any different from playing an amp.

But other than that I get it. I also just pick up my electric guitar to play without sound and record with my phone to capture a quick idea. But the cool sounding vst piano sounds are great to have for recording though.

ATT: V8guitar and rgba32

I’m not talking abort porting the existing Kemper files so they fit random plugins and do not think it’s a good idea for them to make a plug-in. I’ve tried to really explain it thoroughly, but apparently fail miserably :D

What I talked about was just the technology behind “their digital captured sounds” and if it somehow demanded a physical unit to handle the data. I suspected it not to be the case, but since I’m not a geek, I have no clue. This in regards to other companies to just do the same profiling/capturing of sound and put it out to the masses with the exact same good result. I think it has been answered. The data is just data as every other data is. 1’s and 0’s. I was just curious if the “real tube like sound” demanded extra that a regular plug-in couldn’t handle.

ATT: Lightbox.

I kinda get what you’re saying. But 3-4 processors to profile multiple at the same time and the other things I mention in my first post, hasn’t been done before. Multiple processors will open up for many crazy possibilities. And why not include the stuff, I mentioned instead of leaving them out?

And then yes....there will be a part of the wishes, which others have made as well. Isn’t that okay to wish for? I mean....Kemper have knobs. Other gear has had knobs for decades. To get to the point....Kemper will also have to feature stuff, that now will be considered as the norm. Yes....phantom power and mic preamp profiles isn’t new as such, but it will be in a “complete machine” like the Kemper 2, has the potential to be. And that’s exactly what I aim at. The potential to be the ultimate recording machine. Like when the first Kemper arrived. It blew everyone away. If they have to do that again and not just find themselves among the masses, they need to take it one step further, if you ask me. The competition is now huge and will only be more intense in the future. So my goal is to get enough ideas pinned down and Kemper maybe looking and seeing the logic in that, the kinda need to take quantum steps to get ahead of their competitors. I believe that have to make “the ultimate machine” for recording next. And yes....that includes stuff that already has been proofed working and taking it a step further. And THAT I don’t see it the way, you do.

ATT: Monkeyman.

I didn’t find your post, when searching :/

Personally, I'd rather just see some continued work on the current Kemper. Maybe:

So yes, there could be a new Kemper 2. But there also would seem to be many ways to keep on extending what we already have.

Yes....they continue to work on the Kemper and apply new stuff on a regular basis. Since I bought it 10 years ago or close anyway, it has become a totally different machine. It’s awesome. I love it so much. I’ve never seen that much value for my money.

But this post is about a new Kemper in the future and not the stuff, they can apply now to the existing one ;)

ATT: MaximeD

Okay. I didn’t see the point, but I do now. It makes sense in a way. Not something I probably will use, but it’s without a doubt a thing, that would be cool to have. How I go about now is having an A/B switch on the floor to change between guitar or guitar and bass. But I see your point and if they make it with more inputs to be used at the same time, i guess it would be easy to do.

Let’s play with the idea, that there will be a Kemper 2 in the future. As the technology and stuff is today, what would you like to see in a potential new Kemper?

Why, you ask? For the fun of it and because technology advances and competitors are releasing great stuff. And maybe Kemper staff will get an idea for the future. Who knows. And yes....I’ve tried the search function and didn’t find any posts. Weird. There must be posts about a Kemper 2. But I will start.

Kemper 2:

• 3 or 4 processors to do

A) Triple or quad profiling internally. By that I mean the possibility to connect 3-4 mics to the Kemper and then when profiling making the same amount of profiles within ONE profile, which afterwards can be blended as desired. Like if you record in a studio. Most record guitars with more than one mic. Here you can create a more nuanced profile and perhaps push the “restore to original” to start over, if you go “damn....the SM57 is too high”. Then go back and lower that mic or raise another. Yes....I know people do create profiles with multiple mics already with a mixer in between. But by doing it internally, you can make a mistake in the mix between mics and go back to re-tweak and you don’t need a mixer.

B) Possibility to connect more than one guitar/bass at the same time and run separate rigs.

C) For future proofing.

D) Dual/triple rig (not the same as creating a profile of more mics. It’s just one more possibility of reaching a specific sound.

• XLR input with phantom power for vocal mics and profiles of vocal preamps.
    • Creating a profiling sequence that gets a little closer to the original reference amp. When I tried profiling the sound captured was a bit darker than the original and had to be tweaked a bit. And I see other people with the exact same issue. A darker sound than the reference amp. Perfecting the profiling part.
    • Touch screen maybe.
    • USB connection that can be used as digital recording and reamping.
    • Profiling pedals like the Quad Cortex.
    • Tone matching. If it makes sense. It probably doesn’t

Keep the ideas coming :)

So if your asking if it's possible for some clever software engineer to actually play Kemper profiles through a pc then I believe the answer is no. I may be wrong

Actually I’m not asking that. I seem to have difficulties explaining so people understand. What I mean is not another company somehow manage to create a plug-in for Kemper sounds. Someone already said that a plug-in actually did that, but that he couldn’t vouch for the quality.

What I mean is other companies doing it the same way as Kemper. Obtain the sounds the exact same way as the Kemper and just putting it in a plug-in instead. If the TH-U or whatever it was, can import Kemper tones, then it kinda answers my question. Is it possible to run the data (profile sounds) without the Kemper. I then mean the tech. Not Kempers sounds.

Isn’t the Quad Cortex exactly sound the same thing as the Kemper? It’s the same principle. Throwing sounds through the setup and capture the signal flow.

For me it’s not a question to Kemper as such. It’s more in regards to other companies cashing in on the Kemper tech and giving it to people in other solutions like plugins. And cheaper and easier to apply and take off. If the sound quality is the exact same, then it is indeed a matter of people still will look to the Kemper for the sounds, if they can get the exact same thing cheaper and perhaps better. Then it doesn’t matter if they were the inventors. Thousands of examples are out there of companies that are eventually run over by its completions.

I know that the Kemper needs it. That’s not the point. It’s about the tech. Does the data (the 1’s and 0’s produced the Kemper way) need a physical unit to drive them. I doubt that. It’s just data. And it’s not about Kemper making a plug-in. It’s about the tech side of things.

I’m absolutely agreeing with you. The Kemper has stayed on top of the game for ten years and the way they have turned this machine into a totally new machine from when I bought it almost ten years ago, is crazy and cool. Big value for money for me personally. But they are gaining competition now. They can’t keep pushing old tech out when new and more advanced solutions keep appearing. But indeed I am enjoying my Kemper. I still love it.

What is better you ask? I have no conclusion on that topic. But I do know that Axe FX, Quad Core etc. plus many plugins are sounding better than ever. I think that many doesn’t really care how the sound is obtained. If it sounds realistic it doesn’t matter if it’s called modeling or profiling. It’s just one more competitor and more to chose from as a consumer. And for us it’s great.

True. It’s a bit off topic looking at the title. But I’m trying to figure out what is up and what is down with Kemper and the future of it. That involves pressure from competitors as well. I do believe that a plug-in cannot handle the profiling part. That’s not the point. The point is after the profiling. How can these types of data be handled? Many users don’t do profiling themselves. Me for instance. To me the profiling part is not important. It is of course.....because without it I cannot have any profiles to select from. But I, myself, don’t use it. Actually only tried it once.

I was wondering if we needed the physical unit to run the profiles. Because if we don’t, then we are staring into a future, where Kemper will lose market shares, because the secret is out. And here is where the Quad Cortex came in. It was actually to point out that the Kemper way of obtaining a sound, is “stolen” already. And if it’s out there used by Quad Cortex who’s is to say, that others don’t use it as well only to obtain the sounds and put them in a plug-in. And hence the physical unit is somewhat obsolete. If it’s the exact same end result in all the other competitors solutions. You cannot profile yourself with the plug-in of course. But a lot don’t do that, so.....

I would think that they have to rethink their business plan. And I guess that they might have done that already. They have a pretty good idea of what is going on a the market today. But imho they cannot rest now as the competitors are gaining market shares. The Kemper is not THE thing people talk about anymore. It’s becoming a thing of the past. So what has got to happen?

I still love my unit though and if they released a Kemper 2, I might go for it. But it has to contain severe upgrade in tech for it to be eligible for existence and future proof. So what it comes down to is actually that I’m a little concerned on behalf of Kemper. I probably don’t have to be. That are aware of what’s going on and they push a lot of units out. More than Axe FX III, that has several months of waiting to get one. Two different business models, which I have no position to question. I’m just worried I guess. Worried that the machine and company that I like will end up being the slow kid on the block.

I just saw some videos on YouTube regarding the Neural Quad Cortex. Damn....I can’t see the difference in how the Kemper and this machine achieve their profiles. It might be in the details the difference is to be found. So reality overtook my imagination trip prior to the start of this trip.

That must be a wake up call for the Kemper team. What next? How to keep their market percentage, when the future is here already. Axe FX III, Quad Cortex and very good plugins. New units like the Quad Cortex is bound to pop up eventually. If that isn’t a reason to rethink business strategy and consider a Kemper 2 within a few years, when they have pushed some of their latest stuff, I don’t know what is.

The future is exiting.

Yes....but 0’s and 1’s is within my humble tech knowledge just data that can be hosted by a digital host. What I still haven’t been able to understand is the difference of these 0’s and 1’s compared to other 0’s and 1’s from another host where these 0’s and 1’s have been obtained in exactly the same way. What does the physical unit of the Kemper add to the equation? No one has been able to answer that yet.

Because I highly doubt that Kemper will be able to have this tech for themselves. Yes....the physical unit due to patented rights of course. But do people really believe, that others haven’t looked at the results of the Kemper years ago and said.....”okay....we need to do our “modeling” this way”? And yes....they cannot offer the profiling in their product, but they can deliver amp sounds based upon the Kemper way. IR’s as well.

Someone wrote that the Kemper as a plug-in should have the physical unit connected through usb. But....that’s kinda what’s going on now with the RM. it’s not a plug-in....I know. But recording through s/pdif and having the RM open is pretty much like a plug-in besides the fact that you don’t record the dry signal and just listen to the plug-in during playback and recording. Now you have to record the dry and the wet signal, which I do actually.

I do understand it from a live perspective. You don’t want to put your faith in a computer for this task albeit a Mac probably would do the task to A+. But a solution you trust is of course better.

But what I cannot seem to wrap my head around is the fact, that it’s 0’s and 1’s and that it somehow is required to be handled by a physical unit. Aren’t we, the Kemper followers, fooling ourselves? In the regards to the tube tonalities. “We” always considered the Kemper the only real option regarding catching the tube tone of an amp. But if others are doing it this way, what makes the Kemper the go-to machine? Beside the fact if you need to profile your own amps of course.

People speak of 0’s and 1’s regarding plug-ins. The Kemper must be exactly that as well 0’s and 1’s. It’s a digital file.

I never use the Kemper physical anymore. The RM made my recording life way easier. I love the software and will never go back to just using the unit with a small screen and folders -> subfolders and many of them. It’s a brilliant overview in the software.

I’m just in a quandary about how “special” the Kemper is anymore compared to Axe FX III and so on. As I stated.....Kemper might have some sort of patent on their unit, but that does not exclude people from using this exact method to gain their sounds for their solutions on an already overpopulated modeling market. Yes....people don’t get to profile themselves. Products rarely get that possibility anyway. Isn’t it really only Kemper, Axe FX and a few others that offer some sort of tone matching/profiling?

I just think that if it’s all 0’s and 1’s then the Kemper has a lot of competition coming up. I recently heard the Gojira plugin on YouTube. That sounds really close to the sounds of Gojira.