Posts by b_ryan

I don’t really believe that value, should be a factor. You are talking about a product, which was launched a decade ago. That you are late to the party does not make this a new product 10 years in. So if someone buys it in 10 years and says the same? Then it’s 20 years old….but new to the owner. Still doesn’t justify customers bringing value into the equation. It’s an old product.

That YOU have experienced failures from Line6 products does not make it universal. I’ve had a lot of Line6 devices and my friends too….and they still do. None with failures. So universally it must mean, that they are great. They sound great as well. My Kemper has had failure. That must mean that it’s crap, then. No, all tech stuff experience failures. Including the high end stuff. And no. I don’t see Line6 making risky bets. I see them having smart people analyzing the market and that they know, what they do. They’ve been found this for several decades now. I bought my first line6 product 20 years ago….yes….I’m that old 🙂. They’ve been great. Sound wise they were great at the time.

I could really see a lot of cool stuff in an updated Kemper. To me it doesn’t have to be a MKII. I think Kemper already explained that the profiling can’t be improved. It might be true. I don’t know. But with all the new CPU’s and stuff today….why now throw a couple of separate and identical circuits inside a Kemper Makeover? 2 circuits that can profile at the same time. More mic inputs for the profiling procedure and the possibility to mix different profiles endlessly. Instead we only have 1 profile done with 1 mic today. Unless it’s done in a studio with a mixing desk and stuff. That would take it closer to a real recording scenario. Who mics up a guitar cab with only 1 mic today? I’ve not done so in over 20 years 🤣 Always 2 mics to blend.

Imagine the Kemper being able to merge profiles together. Then you could just do endless profiles with 1 mic and mix the level between them until you get a satisfying result. How awesome would that be? Pretty awesome. I don’t need it as I don’t record professional, but as it is now I would probably send the tracks to be re-amped through real amps in a studio to get a more nuanced flavor on the guitar.

What about my arguments don’t you understand? I don’t care about the value of my Kemper. I’ve never stated that. I only focus on the best product possible with the most useful solutions. I realize that value will drop as soon as a successor is revealed. I’m not born yesterday 🙂 If revealed of course. My Kemper has lasted 10 years or so. It has already exceeded all expectations. I don’t understand what you don’t understand. But I agree that he has launched a pretty well thought out device.

And I don’t really think that you should question the business strategy of Line 6. I’m pretty sure that they are doing quite well 😉 Their products last pretty long and for a fraction of the price of the Kemper and others and the new Helix sounds quite good.

Regarding needs. It’s a difficult road to travel. They’ve launched their products. But do they meet everyone’s needs? I would think that people that own their products somehow feel, that their needs a close to being met. But there are still stuff, one could dream of. A USB connection to carry sound first of all. Furthermore they are “falling behind” their competitors regarding possibilities. The sound is only ONE perspective to consider and it still sounds killer, but possibilities, connections etc are other perspectives to consider, when the competitors devices sounds killer as well. Connections and possibilities the Kemper will never be able to in its format, as it is now. I only think that it’s too bad, because it’s a great company and I cannot imagine ANYONE ever considering to complain if they present a MKII after a product, that has lasted this long. That would be very weird. I could see a lot of stuff, where they could offer new and great possibilities. Perhaps not a MKII. But rather just an upgraded version of the first one, but with the same profiling tech as a base. It might not get better. But possibilities and connections definitely could.

I get it. It can be viewed as annoying. In my own defense, I DID search for “Kemper 2” in “topics” and found none, when I made my post.

With that said. Yes, he’s an inventor for sure. But they’ve already put out several versions, that differs a bit from the first batch regarding certain possibilities. So apparently applying new thing to their already existing product is not an issue. How long would you think, that this will be their strategy? Small adds to their existing product? A power amp, wireless options, a floor version etc.

When does it make sense to stop that and do a redesign that includes more? When does it make sense to say, “hey guys….we’re putting out a new Kemper 1 with “this small change”….wouldn’t it be smart of us to put a usb connection or whatever in, when we are doing a new version anyway?”. And from that to a complete redesign is not far as I see it.

As technology improves and their competitors keep developing and embrace the future and customer demands, they will probably “lose” at some point. Perhaps that’s where they stop producing the units and are on to new endeavors. They have forever changing the industry. That’s for sure. I love my Kemper, but I’m not seeing myself using a Kemper in 10 years. Never say never, but in 10 years much has improved and I’m probably on to a new solution. I’ve had my Kemper since release. What’s that? 10 years or close to? I still love it and I’m happy. But in 10 years? What then? I would love a second version, so I could stay a loyal customer. They’ve been totally awesome to me as a customer and they’ve earned my loyalty a long time ago and also made this unit the most value-for-money ever. It’s insane. But once it breaks down, I might look at the competition at that time. I’m not gonna spend that amount of money on such old technology, when a lot of other good stuff is out there. So I am really hoping for a MKII.

More ins and outs. I just found its limitation for my use. I cannot record a dry and wet signal using my external pedal. 1) If I put the pedal in the loop the Direct Out disengages. 2) If I put my pedal between the guitar and the guitar input of the Kemper my dry signal will include the pedal. So it’s impossible to record a wet signal with the external pedal along with a dry signal.

Maybe the Main Out could be split in a dry and wet?

I highly doubt that this ONLY could be a matter of a new machine coming 🤣

BUT….when that is said, I just found some limitations, that I would like to be sorted out on a possible next gen of the Kemper.

I’ve found out that the ins/out need more flexibility or more choices at least. Right now I can not record a dry signal and a wet signal with my external pedals. 1) If the pedal is in the loop, the Direct Out disengages and I cannot record the dry signal. 2) If I put my pedal between the guitar and the Kemper guitar input the dry signal from Direct Out will have my pedal on the dry signal as well. So that’s a big limitation for me.

More ins and outs would be highly appreciated in a possible future Kemper 2.

I could do profiles of my rig, but I don’t actually use profiling. I’ve never been able to capture anything good or close to the sound. AND….I haven’t really used a real amp for almost 20 years now. Only when profiling.

as long as an fx loop is active in the currently loaded rig the signal that appears at the send/direct out is determined by the actual position of the fx loop in the signal chain. Therefore the output source parameter appears greyed out. Deactivate the fx loop to change the value for the output source parameter.

Jesus Christ man….that was it….now I love you again 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Ridiculous I didn’t think of that. Lucky for me you are used to deal with stupid people like me 🤣 Thanx 🙏🏻

All output options starting with Git... are meant to be true/identical/unaltered to the front input signal. In case of Git Analog it's actually split out before AD conversion. In other words, there is no point altering that signal. Git-Processing is almost the same with the only difference being that the signal has gone through AD/DA conversion. Git Studio just lifts the HiZ guitar signal to studio line level. No user changes available (or necessary).

Hey man 🙂 The mighty and awesome lightbox 🙂 Hope everything is going great.

But what is preferred when re-amping then? An unaltered signal, a signal that has gone through ad/da conversion or a signal that has been lifted to line level? There must be a difference, I guess.

And do you have a clue about why, I cannot edit the output of Direct Out?

Okay….I think I found out that the “Git analog” only is available on the Direct Out. But why can’t I engage that output? I have a TS jack cable in the Direct Out going to the audio interface. But I cannot change anything in this Output. It’s greyed out in RM.

Just got home. I just tried to unplug all cables. Only cables plugged in now is the XLR (Main Out), the TS jack (Direct Out) and the usb. I still don’t see the “Git analog” as a choice. And the Direct Out is completely greyed out and cannot be selected.

Only output choices available:

Off

Git+processing

Git studio

Stack

Mod left

Mod mono

Mod stereo

Master left

Master mono

Master stereo

DLY/REV wet

I’ve experienced so many difficulties with my Kemper and audio interface/computers lately, which for the first time ever has had me considering swapping the Kemper out for an Axe FX III. I’ve loved the Kemper so much for almost ten years and I’d hate to reach that point, but the issues are getting to me and getting in the way of me actually getting to play. It always just worked. So maybe it’s time for a change. I hope I get this sorted out though. I’m not build for resistance 🤣 Recording and re-amping trough usb seems like a way more convenient solution though.

Hey :) Yes….I read the manual, but I was confused about 2 things. 1) I don’t see “Git analog” anywhere. 2) Which output to select as more than one choice refers to be useful for re-amping though they are different. For instance “Git Analog” (which I cannot see) has same levels as the instrument input and this useful for re-amping. “Git +processing” has ad/da conversion and is also useful for re-amping. So which to choose.

What I am interested in is one signal with everything and one completely dry signal. And that dry signal I cannot seem to get from my Main XLR out.

Regarding I cannot see the “Git analog” choice, I’ve just come to think of, that maybe it’s because I have the Direct Out occupied by the pedals in the loop and it disengages this opportunity. I have to try that, when I get home.

Hey :) Okay….so it is correctly understood that I HAVE to use the Direct Out for the dry signal?

And yes….I use both a Boss HM-2 and a clone of that pedal in the loop and found it better than using them between the guitar and the guitar input.

Hey good people. I'm struggling a bit with recording both the dry and the wet signal at once. I used to use the S/Pdif, but ever since I switched the Windows computer for a Macbook and also switching the audio interface to a RME Babyface Pro fs, I have experienced trouble with the S/Pdif connection. It causes crackles even if the Kemper is turned off. I have to use a Toslink-ADAT adapter to use the S/Pdif and it somehow isn't reliable. It works though. I can record both signals with the S/Pdif, but I'm fed up with the crackles. And yes....the S/Pdif used to work with the Windows computer, so I don't think that it is the ADAT input of the Babyface, that causes it. I suspect the adapters and that it isn't reliable enough. Anyway....the question.

Since I got fed up with the S/Pdic crackles I've turned to the Main Out (XLR), but all I hear is the same signal on left and right. Isn't is possible to split the Main Out in dry and wet? I'm not sure, but if I understand the manual, I have to use the Direct out for the dry signal. Is that correct? If so...how do I then use my external pedals in the loop of the Kemper? And isn't a jack output attracting more noise than an XLR cable?

My gear:

Macbook Air 2020 M1 (Monterey 12.4)

Babyface Pro fs

Logic Pro

Caldigit TS3 dock/hub

Best wishes from Brian

Once I update my interface with SPDIF, I will definitely make a reamp tutorial "with SPDIF" in DAW because it is no doubt confusing.

That would be cool. I think we kinda found out, that what my problem might be. The LED of the physical input and the LED of the physical output are always lit. Playing or not playing. That might mean something is going on.

I just want to share a positive experience with you all. I had some issues (still have at this moment) with reamping through my RME Babyface Pro FS and out of nowhere I got a private message here. A guy called ‘lightbox’ offered to help me through a Messenger call.

So tonight ’lightbox’ just spend between 3 and 4 hours trying his best on a video call to help me. A guy I didn’t know prior to this. How awesome is that?

I’m pretty much speechless about how a guy I didn’t know, sets aside a whole evening to help me out. Such an amazing and wonderful thing to do. He is such a warm and kind person.

So thank you, ‘lightbox’. Even though we didn’t manage to find the root of the problem, I got to meet one of the nicest guys in the world.

Are you sure you are routing the DI signal to your Kemper?

The fact that the DI meter turns on in your DAW just means the track is being played back, not that it is being actually sent to your Kemper. Does the If the KPA Input LED is not turning on, its not gettting any juice ;)

That’s true. I had some routing issues because I didn’t quite understand the RME software. But I got some help from ‘lightbox’ and got that sorted out. Still issues though.