Posts by cmbrowns

I'd like to do another video demonstrating the phenomenon with all of amps. Because it's been pretty common for me over the last 10 years of on-and-off Kemper ownership and profiling. I remember it being a big discussion back in the day, and it sort of petered out. But I never stopped noticing it.

Have you tried passing this on to ckemper or support? Hard to say if they'd be watching these discussions and unless opened as support issues they might not get drawn in.

As ckemper had mentioned earlier in this thread -

If a profile fails in an A/B comparison, that is where my job starts.

Personally, I'd rather just see some continued work on the current Kemper. Maybe:

Rig Manager improvements, many already talked about.

Easy to use UNDO/REDO

Incorporating Presets into the edit screens for various effects. For example having a drop down of all Distortion presets along with the few controls. I know you can find then in the treeview, but why not show just the presets you might while editing?

Save/Save As and Copy/Paste that are a bit more obvious like on the hardware.

Add the Stomp and Effect presets that already exist on the hardware. (many of us still use this)

Maybe there could be a way to assign multiple effects to each of the 8 buttons. This might be a way to extend without needing new hardware. It might require creative soft buttons to do things like turn on a distortion while leaving compression alone if both are on A, but it seems possible.

I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities.

On the Profiler

Everyone always says there can't be multiple profiles, but then how does Performance mode preload five of them for zero latency switching? Maybe this leaves a path to allow morphing between the rigs in a Performance. Still not really two amps at once, but the morph might be more useful to more people.

On running multiple rigs - maybe some kind of hardware add on to the current Kemper? Not really a second Kemper but a way to add in a second rig like an effect? Same way you might use the effect loops.

Extend locking to allow locking specific parameters instead of just groups. So rather than locking X, allow locking specific components of what is loaded in X.

Maybe a new Kemper alternate foot controller that works more like a standard Midi controller with enough buttons to manage all separate effects and Rig Manager editing with humanized control (easy assignments of CC or program change, etc.

So yes, there could be a new Kemper 2. But there also would seem to be many ways to keep on extending what we already have.

I use 3 Sigma Audio acoustic impulses and they sound great. My favorite is their Gibson J45 and the Martin D45. I use them with Martin and Taylor acoustics, and with a PRS SE Piezo. You load then in as a cabinet and turn off the Kemper amplifier button. I still use the EQ section of the stack and a Studio Equalizer in the stomps section just to fine tune.

One thing I did find that helped a lot was to set Character to +5 and Pure Cabinet on 10 on the Cabinet options.

Sure, I fully grasped your point, and it's not off topic here.

The question is, if dedicated pedal profiling would be a strong feature in your point of view?

if it's a 50% hit and miss only?

For me, I've never cared much about whether profiles or effects are really 100% accurate. For example - the new Kemper Drive presets. I'm not concerned that they exactly match a Klon, KOT, BB, etc. They just give me new things to try out with the profiles I use. Same thing could be said of all the profiles. Are they really that exact? And if not, what does it matter? If they sound good and feel right, they're good.

So from my point of view, everything you add just gives me that many more ways to make new sounds. 50% sounds fine to me.

On the QC subject, I'm not hearing anything I can't get out of the Kemper and I don't think much of their foot switches as knobs concept anyway. People have been complaining about on line demo recordings of profiles ever since vendors started selling them, so hard to see why the few demos comparing Kemper and QC here would be any better.

However, if the guitar world has moved that far to the forgiving side since then, we could easily publish distortion pedal profiling on said quality level and yield. Still this would not be consistent with my business ethics.

Hello ckemper. I wasn't talking about baked in profiles that have been around since the Kemper first arrived. I took your comment as meaning you might somehow allow profiling distortion pedals that could then be used as an effect in other profiles. Understood that you don't necessarily think it would work perfectly.

But thanks for the reply and this is probably getting too off topic for this thread.

We encourage users to profile distortion pedals along with their amps and decide by the result, as as good number of pedals work perfect.

However, if the guitar world has moved that far to the forgiving side since then, we could easily publish distortion pedal profiling on said quality level and yield. Still this would not be consistent with my business ethics.

+1

Maybe something that could be added in a Beta so people might try various pedals and report on quality?

Would be cool to see how close they might be.

As you click on the preset, you can rename it in the name field in the upper right of the screen, beneath "Search for...". But this only works for your Local Library or Profiler presets. You can't rename the Kemper ones under Preset Packs.

When you load a preset you're just setting the values that preset defines. There is no name associated to the values once loaded in your profiler. And with the Kemper design for presets that name could not logically be persisted.

Think of it this way - if you used presets to build a rig, then post that rig on the Rig Exchange, there would be no way to know if anyone else who might download it has the same preset. Or worse yet, suppose they had the same preset name but had altered their copy to be different. Or even in your own case - suppose you load a preset then make changes in your rig to the values the preset had entered. That means it would no longer be the same preset. So what would the Rig now show?

When I roll the volume down the EQ changes in a different way than with the real thing. So this kind of behavior of the real amp seems to be hard to copy.

Try turning up the Power Sagging on the Amplifier options. That will increase the touch sensitivity for the rig you're using. I'd try it on about 5 and if it helps then adjust it to your taste. This should get you closer to that clean sound when picking lightly.

Probably mostly personal taste. I use many different guitars, many profiles in styles from dead clean to medium high gain. Can't say three dimensionality has ever come to mind.

Do you tweak profiles or just try them as they are? My thinking is tweak it to what you want. Would you get any new amp, plug it in with no settings and expect it to sounds great? Yes, with tens of thousands of Kemper profiles you can always just look for more. But you can also just change cabs, play with gain and EQ and the great options under Amplifier.

I've had my Kemper for many years and I try out profiles all the time. But I generally stick to a set that I've customized to be all that I want them to be. I don't find them lacking in any way.

A few things here -

First the guitar. Pretty much every guitar is going to sound different. The pickups in that Gretsch are quite a bit different than single coils or humbuckers. You can't even really expect that two humbuckers would sound very similar. There are many different magnet types, and even slight differences in pickup height can make a pretty large difference.

On the amp - your Kemper profiles may be of the same model amp, but they were created with whatever settings the maker of the profile decided on. The microphone(s) used, the mic placement, the speaker(s) in the amp, the EQ settings. Just as in guitars, stick two of the same amp next to each other and will they sound the same? Not likely.

This is likely why you see a difference in your sounds from the videos you compare to. Even if you had the same amp, same guitar, same pickups, you could only get close to the same result. With the demos you can get a pretty good idea of what the profiles are like, but you can't really expect you using them with your equipment is going to be an exact match.

Hope that's of some help.

I had picked up the V140 set from Victory and also found them very dark and dull. I found two things to get around that. The cabinet Low Shift was set to -2 for all rigs. I set them back to 0 which helped, but still a bit dark for me, so I raised the definition on the Amplifier settings until they sounded right.

Maybe try some of the Martin Suijs rigs on the Rig Exchange. In Rig Manager you can sort by the Author column to easily find them. He's got a nice range of stuff from clean to drive with a 68 Marshall, 64 Fender Deluxe and a 64 Bassman.

Or if you've got other rigs close but not quite what you're looking for, you could try changing the cabinet. That can make a huge difference. There are several under the Preset section or you can also use the cabinet from any other rig.

Maybe try plugging the Kemper directly into your Yamaha HS7s to see how it sounds bypassing the interface altogether. Since you liked the headphone sound, this should be pretty much the same. If this result is alright, at least you know it's something in the interface settings.

And the input running into the direct output/ send of the Kemper.

Try using the Monitor Out of the Kemper to the Powerstage input.

If you press the Output button on the Kemper you can get to various pages to set options. On the first page check that Monitor Output is set to Master Mono and you'll probably want the Monitor Cab Off box checked if you're using a guitar speaker cab. You can set EQ for the monitor output on page 3.

If you have the Kemper Kone, options are on Page 8. You'd probably want the Kemper Kone box checked if you want to use the imprints.

Now I have to figure out how to go from clean to dirty using one rig without having to click the foot controller thru rigs during a take. I remember reading the Parallel Path setting for the stomps section can increase/decrease gain with maybe my exp pedal. Any other way to do that? Go from clean to crunch/dirty smoothly without clicking a distortion stomp on?

Although it may not be quite as accurate as using two profiles, you could use a profile created with more gain, then use morph to lower the gain to what you want for your clean sound. Still a click for the morph, but maybe less apparent than two profiles.

Some people here have said, and I agree, that lowering the gain on a profile works much better than raising the gain on a cleaner profile. The main clean profile I use is an AC30 profile that started out with a much higher gain. I find no problem lowering it to zero gain for a completely clean Vox tone. And of course with the morph, you could also change any number of other thing, such as the mix on other effects.

What are you connecting the mains to? A computer interface or mixer? Do you have the Main Output set to Master Mono or Master Stereo on the Output section page?

Your main out generally be for FOH mix for live or for recording, while your Kab using the powered speak out would be for your monitoring.