Posts by cmbrowns

Here is the spec of my audio interface (UR22) I picked the cheapest one of the line up. . (I regret it) Now I am willing to buy any interface (any names Motu Focusrite, M-Audio, Avid or etc etc whatever) I want something that could improve my sound a lot better than the Ur22 Any suggestions ? Thanks

So are you saying you've now got the sounds you want when you aren't connecting through the Ur22?

I got 2 decent guitars (fender tele and Gibsons les paul ) I know there is a lot of place in our Kemper to ajust tone. But I cannot find the right one.

Another thing to try for what you describe here...

The Les Paul will likely be much darker sounding than the Tele. Try playing with the Definition setting on the Amplifier settings. Set it higher to brighten the sound or lower to darken it. So for your Les Paul, you might try a higher value. For the Tele you might try lower since it.

An example might be MBritt profiles. Many of his profiles are built for performance volume and he often uses P90's. I find for my Les Paul that I almost always want to brighten them up with Definition for in the house and JBL monitors.

To add a bit of touch sensitivity (cleaner on soft picking, more gain on hard picking) try increasing the Power Sagging. I find around 4-5 is pretty noticeable.

And check out the Rig Exchange. There are a lot to try and probably many you won't like. But there are also a lot that are easily as good, or better than the commercial profiles. Point is, rather than spending a lot of time tweaking, just find something pretty close to what you like.

To see if it's the profiles or something on our sound card settings, you could try connecting the Kemper directly to your monitors. If it sounds better that way then you have something set wrong for your interface.

If it sounds about the same directly from the monitors, maybe the level is too high from the Kemper, overdriving the interface? You might need the Main Out -12 db on the Output menu settings.

Are your Input or Output leds on the Kemper getting into the red? If so. lower the Clean sense for input or maybe Rig Volume for the output.

Hard to say, but it does sound like that.

Where it get's me is that I'll create a Performance then tweak the rigs so they match up better. Then I'll want to save the changes back to the Browser pool with whatever I changed. In that case there is no overwrite (and I'm pretty sure you don't get prompted for a new name), so I end up with a new copy. But I rarely delete or rename the old one. I can still tell which is which by the date, but it just makes it that much harder to keep track.

The rigs in Performances are separate. But they would only be available in Browser mode if you saved them back to the Browser pool (or Local Library in Rig Manager). Oddly, it allows you to have the same name on multiple rigs so you might keep that in mind if saving several modified versions back as individual rigs.

Micing studio monitors doesn't sound like a good idea. At best, you'd be adding characteristics of the mic(s) and picking mic placement.

Maybe you should be looking into what's wrong with your settings in using the Focusrite. Maybe you're overdriving the Focusrite inputs with the Kemper?

If you describe exactly what the problem is maybe someone with the same interface might have more specific suggestions.

It may also help to think of it this way -

Any profile you add to a performance is then a new profile, now separate from the Browser mode profile. Any changes you make in the Performance version of the profile will not affect the Browser version and vice versa.

So in this case, it may be possible that Clean sense and the Noise reduction may have been locked in the Performance so the Browser values didn't carry through. If not, I can't tell you why they might have changed. Keep in mind that Locks are also separate between Browser and Performance modes. But as you've seen, once changed to match in both places they would be the same.

Sorry Shimmer, that's about all I've got.

Last ditch although unlikely - no way you might be overloading something in your interface? Kemper output can be hot. But not likely the issue if you hear his through Kemper headphones as well as from your interface. Any way to try a different location? Doesn't sound like interference, but who knows?

Good luck. Hope the Kemper folks can get it worked out for you quickly.

So all stomp and effects are left empty, at least for testing? (A-D, X, Mod, Delay and Reverb) Or you could just deactivate all stomps and effects if any are loaded.

Noise Gate at 0?

On the Amplifier setting (page 3/4) the volume is at 0.0db?

Are you seeing any yellow or read on the input or output LEDs? With Clean sense at -12 you should be seeing anything but green no matter how hard you pick a note.

Pickups at a normal height on the guitar - not overly close to the strings? Are you using active or some really hot pickups that may still be overdriving input even with Cleanse sense as low as it goes?

And the Gain for whatever profiles you are trying is set at 0?

You're sure whatever profiles you're trying were made as dead clean profiles (gain at 0 and no pedals in the profile)? You're saying this happens with any profile you try?

If that's all checked then probably next is contact support. Maybe resetting things in some way might help.

Some things you could try -

Temporarily disable Stomps and Effects. If the clipping stops, you might have some volume pushed up or an EQ increasing volume.

I don't think Dist sense would apply for clean. Try lowering Clean sense all the way to -12. If it helps you can then find a correct value.

Maybe try a compressor to smooth out spikes. Clean sounds have much more dynamics.

Press and hold the lock button. Whatever is locked will show show a light. Once know, press the button for what you want to unlock, then press the lock button to unlock (turning the lock button light off for whatever you selected). Remember that Browser and Performances each have their own locks.

If unlocking doesn't solve it then you've probably somehow saved the changes into whatever you're loading.

The reason" slot enabled" is grayed out is because you can't have a performance with nothing in slot 1. Any other slot can be empty. I imagine it's grayed out since you can't disable slot 1 so you would never have to enable it.

If you're saying you can't use the Browse button while on slot 1 to pick some other rig (assuming you have at least one or more rigs available in your Browse pool) then you should probably contact support to find out why. Normally, if you want to change rigs on the profile not using Rig Manager, you would highlight the slot you want (Crunch in this case) then turn the Browse button to find the rig you want to use. Then load it with the load soft button to the left of your Browse knob.

If you're using Rig Manager, just copy or drag the rig you want to that Crunch slot.

Hope that helps.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned - what do your rigs sound like directly in the Kemper, like through headphones? If it's wrong there, then Kemper settings in the rig are probably the issue. If OK through headphones then it must be something about your connection to the interface. Since you said even kind of clean rigs seem too gainy, maybe your output from the Kemper is just to high. Or doubling up somewhere so you're hearing more than one signal mixed.

At least this might help you isolate where the problem is.

Yes, it makes sense. It is pity that we can't just micked the Kabinet. Less thing to mangae because now we have to select a profile that sound good on FRFR and then play with it with different sounding...

Sounds like you're thinking of this backwards. The profile and cabinet in that profile is what is going to FOH. Your Kabinet is just a way for you to monitor that. You have the choice to use it in full range mode, so you hear more similar to what FOH hears, or you can use an imprint so you can tune what you hear to something more custom. The Kabinet is more just a way to get an amp in the room quality as opposed to a PA type of cabinet.

One thing I do pretty frequently is to try out rigs from various locations - Rig Exchange, folders I've created for purchased rigs, Rig packs, etc. If I load a rig and like it I then use the Store Rig in Local Library or I store it to the Kemper. Problem is that after doing this the window is now set to where I've stored the copy to. If I want to get back to what I was looking through I need to remember where I was and re-navigate to where I left off so I can keep trying other rigs I had found. Even more of a pain if I had sorted or filtered things in some way.

I know I can open two windows and drag and drop between them, but if there was a way to just leave the focus on where I was when I saved instead of moving to where I saved to, or maybe just a way to return to where I was before the Save it would be a lot more natural. I use multiple windows sometimes for things like building a performance, but I'd prefer to stick with one for something this simple.

Most programs keep a Most Recently Used set somewhere in the program menus so you can easily return to something you were looking at earlier.