Posts by bshaw92

Ok dropped clarity to 0 and moved tube shape to 5.5 and still closer yet. I believe the only difference now is the fact I have a V30 on one side and a 12H30 on the other and I mic'd the H30 side but from the cabinet it is split so it is a little darker. Now the generalization question.....since tube shape is defined from the profile should it be adjusted typically ie will it always be to the low side After profile?

Got closer by removing the noise gate. Then did the following:
    Def - 2.0
    Power sag - 5.0
    Pick - +2.0
    Compressor - 3.0
    Clarity - 3.5
    Tube shape left at 3.3
    Tube bias - 2.0

Still working on the last couple items and may change a few. There is a little more bell like sound on my amp versus my Kemper but much much closer when aby'd.

Does anyone have a Category 5 Amp they can profile? I've checked the rig exchange and did not find anything.

T/M/B at 12:00 and gain 10, 1, & 3 if possible.

Can you elaborate on how you set up the profile line? It appears you add a mic preamp between the Kemper and microphone?? or are you running straight from microphone to Kemper. Also, what methodology do you go for as far as adjustments after the profile....Sag, Definition, etc. I believe the compression adjustment in the amp block is for your clean volume level as you drop volume on your guitar in a more distorted setting. Interested to hear what parameters you feel really fine tune your profile, in your opinion, without the use of eq's and other stomp box features (compression, etc.)

Correct. No additional setting changes on the profile...as profiled. The core sound is on target. The recording I did is weeks after the profiling. I'm just trying to get a handle on the key parameters. I can visually see the compression on the Kemper versus the tube so I'm guessing if I can make adjustments to "work" that out it would be the result I'm looking for. Let me know if you have a pattern to attempt and the logic behind it and I will try it out. Thanks.

Thanks. I recorded both for a while and was then looking at the results in wave format. The core is definately there but I beleive the Kemper Profile is slightly compressed compared to the original and that might be what I am hearing. If anyone has other concepts and/or thoughts let me know.

Just did this Saturday. Once it shows initializing let off the button and let it run through the remainder.......wait until it is completely done as it might take a few. You will then go through your setup again of date, time name. Make sure you put in your name as you currently have it otherwise your favorites won't show up. All setting were retained and my monitor out worked.

I have a marshall 18 watt 2 x10 combo (Weber Clone). Alnico Blue pup speakers. It was profiled with volume at about 2 but the gain knob works very good with the profile taking it to about 4.3. Let me know if you find it.

As I continue down my path of knowledge and understanding I have hit a slight bump in the road. I need some advice on what changes/parameters that can be made to make my profile dead on. If I continue to ABY my tube amp against my Kemper I find that there is a little fine tuning that I need to do. If I don't play it against my tube amp then I'm none the wiser. I have an OR15 that I profiled. I play me Kemper through an FRFR and/or Tech 21 (I'm trying one verses the other at this point to see what I like best). My goal is to achieve the raw amp sound with minor adjustments. I don't want to get to the point I'm tweaking all the different variables (ie eq before and after and a bunch of other stuff....I was spending hours upon days doing this with my HD500 and I spent more time tweaking then playing). I am very close there is just some thump and resonance that are not matching my reference tube amp/cabinet. I just plugged my other 2x12 cabinet into my tech 21 power engine so the power portion was driving the identical speaker configuration that my reference Orange is connected to (I have (2) 2x12 Cabinets). I had to bump the bass full out, mid 3.0 and treble -2.5 with pres ~1.25. In addition I added some compression and left the cabinet on and it got very very close. This confuses me as the profile was at the same settings I took from the amp and the amp was at noon on T/M/B. I'm getting the core its just the outside layers that I need some understanding to get to. I did some samples this afternoon and when the wave form was sown in the program I was using (I recorder open air from a Tascam DR-40) the profile was a little more compressed. I would like to get the result I achieved tonight through my cabinet with my FRFR or PowerEngine alone. Any advice on specifics to adjust and what they effect would be appreciated. I uploaded my profile a while back so you can have the .kpr profile I am refering to for reference. (It is with the gain at ~10:30)

yes. I'm familiar with the technique. When you click the link it tries to open it in windows media player. When try to save target as it has a .mid file extension.

Must be the water....lots of attitudes with people on this board today.

easy........ There were three parts to the question:

Monitor out - Answered (summed)
    main out (XLR's) - Answered (not summed)
    main out (1/4) - not answered. Did not see clarification to differentiate this from the xlrs.

These are usually different as the XLR's are balanced and 1/4 is not. In the typical connections if you connect (1) 1/4 to the left side it gets a summed output.

ok we keep doing this partial stuff.....last part of the question. What about the 1/4" as this is not typical if that is the case. It is for XLR so nothing is really different, but 1/4" not summed out the left side with one connection? Not a big deal just want to make sure.

I have both an FRFR speaker and Powered cab and was wondering if people could comment on why they use one versus the other as it pertains to sound characteristics and true representation of the amp/cabinet profile used. As an example I am finding that the Tech 21 Power Engine with my Kemper really produces a true tone representation of the amp/cabinet sound I profiled. The FRFR is great as well but it really does more of the mic'd version (meaning not as narrow a frequency response) which is what it is supposed to do. I like both for different reasons so I'm wondering why others use one over the other. Please comment if you would.

The main reason I was asking is for stereo effects. For example the stereo widener(multiple delays etc.) would not give full results if through the xlr main out (single left or right cable output) as it is not summed. It would however work on the monitor out. Typically the 1/4" is summed if a single output connection is used (i.e. left out). Please confirm if this is correct.

I did a search and couldn't see that this was clearly answered. I assume the main out XLR left right is not summed if using only the left output. I assume that using the 1/4" left it is summed if only connected to the left output. Is using the monitor out a summed output? Can someone please confirm if they know for sure. This is typical for outputs, but wanted to make sure. I would then change my master volume to control my FRFR & connect to monitor out and use the main out to the FOH. Currently I use the right XLR to FOH and left XLR to FRFR(Monitor).

OK bought one for $10 to try out.....now for the deeper question which may be asked elsewhere, but....I have an FRFR Alto 12" and the Tech 21 and can hear the range difference. If thr purpose of a profile is to accurately reproduce the amp & cabinet then why use a full response speaker that projects frequencies that the original did not? I have noticed a much closer representation/duplication with the Tech 21 however I hear a wider range (obviously) with the FRFR. The FRFR is not as bass driven as the cabinet. I like aspects of both just curious as to the why would people choose full response when the cabinet speaker that gets profiled is not full response.