Posts by DarthV

Haven't had the chance to try them out, will thanks in advance. To add another voice, I'd kill for John's no-flubb rhythm ka-chunk tone. I bought one of Choptones' IIC+ packs and love them, but I just cannot dial out some of the low end to prevent flubbing. I'm actually at the point that I'm thinking about picking up a Mk V 25 just for that!

I use Silent Underground's clones. They will sound thin because they are designed to be used in the mix. For a living room guitar hero, I throw in a tube screamer and EQ to fatten them up. Absolutely love his MoP clone with those additions, I use it well over 50% of the time.

Love to see an Alice in Chains tone clone, something like groovenut's one for the AxeII (did he ever release it?) I remember drooling over his teaser video!

Well I'm just a home player, so I just thicken up the profiles and usually toss in a clean boost. Very easy to tweak them, that's for sure! I bought my HM when I was 17 in '88. First guitar I bought with my own money and it still plays great, other than the bridge (tremol-no installed now).

Did you tweak the clone tone's profile any? I found that most of SU's profiles seem a little thin, but I'd imagine multi tracking would fix that up. Nice to see someone else playing a HM Strat! Barely use mine any more, stupid Kahler bridge with its soft metal :(

I guess it would depend on the dimensions of the rack mount. By the image, it's sitting on top of a cab, so might only be 12" deep? Which would be perfect for where I have my space toaster sitting right now. But since I'm a living room hero, it doesn't really matter :)

I used to want the tone-matched artist presets. There are several available for metal players. I have tried them all. To me, there ends up being an emptiness about sounding 'just like' the original recording after a while. It gets stale because, well it's been done before. So, I ended up abandoning tone-matched presets and creating my own using existing amps. Now when I'm doing a cover song, it sounds like me playing it. That's more exciting to me. YMMV

Why not tweak those clones? I did it with some of the Metallica ones and use my tweaked Master of Puppets preset 75% of the time!

Any cheap interfaces with spdif in? Why bother with going digital to analog from the KPA to an interface and then going back digital when I can go digital the whole way?

Traded my 6505 combo for an older MiJ Ibanez 7620 a couple weekends ago. Sold my Mesa 4x12 this past weekend. Do I miss them? Sure, a little. Would I have used them more than once every 2 months after getting the KPA? Nope :P

I was mostly sold on the Kemper the day I heard the Silent Underground tone matches on youtube. The day I set up the KPA, I was a little disappointed in how thin and nasally those profiles were. But since they were designed to be in the mix, they weren't as fully rounded as a guitar in the room would be. With drums/bass, I was really impressed with those clones. With a little bit of tweaking, I gave myself the best of both worlds. It's amazing at how easy it is to dial in, still loving my KPA and will be for quite a long while.

I've sold off most of my pedals, my 6505 and should have my mesa 4x12 gone this week. All in all, not a huge cost in the upgrade for me. And so far, 3 of the people who have bought my old gear were blown away at how good the Kemper sounds.

I'm looking at using my HD500 as a foot controller for my KPA, do I need just 1 midi cable (out from POD in to KPA) or 2? For the most part, I'll want the pod for changing presets, turning on/off KPA effects, KPA wah control and maybe putting it in the KPA's loop for pitch shift (if ever) effects. For a complete MIDI newb, how much work will this be? Is it as simple as assigning a POD switch to the corresponding KPA MIDI #?

Use different snapshots for each guitar? I have 5 Ibanez guitars with different pickups in each, so I know what you're talking about. The tone zone in my rg3570 is very mid happy compared to the d-activator in my Eb S470, but the d-activator is more loose in the bottom end compared to the crunchlab in my rga121. Not to mention the differences between the emg81 in my HM Strat and the MoJoe in the s540 or stock pups in the rg1570 :P

As for tweaking, someone had posted about using a stomp graphical EQ and then one again in the X slot to pull and then re-add frequencies. Adjust to taste.