Posts by GearJocke

Actually a main point they talk about in the video is not sound but "feel" or that "low mid speaker interaction growl - kind of thing". Something that makes only the player happy but nobody can hear. According to Rabea the QC is a new milestone in this respect. Let's wait and see...

We should take what Rabea said with a pinch of salt for now. He wasn't invited to test something and say hey this is a mediocre thing. I'd rather stick with a helix or a kemper.

Recorded some Zakk tonight.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Profile is a Keeley boosted JJ100 from Reampzone. Really really great pack for me. Very inspiring.

Hey we got the same guitar so I must like this. ;)

I can't overemphasize the importance of a properly setup guitar and the mindset involved to create mix-ready (as in: this actually CAN be made to fit in a mix instead of pretty much hopeless).

the most common 'mistakes' are:

• the guitar itself doesn't sound as needed -trying to fix that with a Profile/EQ will never really work well
    • the pickups are not doing what the should (darker sounding guitar with dark sounding pickups for example), pickups should be seen as a relative factor, the same pickups in different guitars will sound differently
    • pickup-to-string distance:
      1. pickups too close to strings
      2. pickups angled the wrong way (bass side closer than treble side, when simple physics strongly indicates it should be the other way round - more mass moving in the magnetic field -> more output
    • 'wrong' string gauge as in heavy bottom/light top - this only aggravates the issues illustrated above
    • guitarist instead of producer mindset - a guitar is a midrange instrument, yet guitarists often aim for lots of bass (always a major mix issue later on), scooped mids (sigh) and treble that interferes with more important stuff in that range (vocal 'air' and cymbals)
    • the guitar sound is tied to the bass sound, and the bass sound is tied to the (kick) drum sound

I bet most dissapointed buyers haven't a proper setup guitar(s). But still even if the profiles are not bad they might not be what you had hoped for. Different guitar with different pickups give different result. Just like one pickup sounds perfect in one guitar and then you go and buy the same pickup and install it in another guitar and...not bad but not stellar either.

Xmas is early this year... Received this beautiful LTD EC-1000 in vintage black.
    I also ordered some Fishman Flunece Classics to replace the EMGs. But after some riffing im not quite sure if I should swap them, because the guitar sounds very tight and aggressive :evil:

If you like the emg, keep them. And send the fishmans to me as a christmas gift. :) A popular myth is the emg will sound the same no matter what guitar you put them in. Not true. With some guitars they sound killer and with others not so good. Just as with passive ones. I had that guitar like 7-8 years ago. Great guitar and I did regret selling it. Now I've got the ec-1000 et qm dbsb instead and I was going to swap the jb/jazz with active pickups but changed my mind. The jb in that guitar sounds killer.

Is it common for headphones to not sound good with the KPA?

No it all depends on what headphones. I use Ultrasone and I've never had any inferior tone with any profile. Some headphones work better than others.

Why not start with the 10s, and if there's not enough tension, then go to 11s? Surely there's a way to adjust the tension directly? Also, the nut and saddle cuts might be too narrow for the larger gauge.

Going from 10 to 11 doesn't make any difference in the nut or on a fixed saddle. But he's using a FR so there's no narrow in the bridge. Treble or bass string. The same is true going from 46-49-52. With a 56 in the bottom you probably need to widen the nut slot though.

What about routing the signal to the Kemper's Alternative Input and hearing everything through the Kemper's Headphone Out? I've read several posts regarding the quality of Headphones Outs of mid-range interfaces being inferior compared to the Kemper's Out.

True and it's the downside with midränge interfaces one have to accept. I know I've been there. I purchased a spl crimson second hand 5 years ago and still use it. The headphone is really good. So good that next time I need another interface I know it won't be cheap. But good headphone is a must too. So PGM301 go on the hunt on the second hand market and save some money.

Not bad at all.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.