Posts by nakedzen

One more with slugs this time. Sounds pretty bold and punchy.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another prototype, smoother less aggressive tone than the SMBH.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Handwound 15k DC resistance coils, alnico 5 magnet. Steel bar blades.

Thanks man! Any criticism? Now's the time, before I start making these to sell. :D

Here's a blind shootout between some prototypes.

I've been working for a while now on some handwound active pickups. First couple prototypes are done.

Here are some clips through a Recto profile:

One more for the road. Same pickup as previously, just swapped the magnet for alnico 5. Ceramic has more 100Hz, and the mid peaks are slightly lower than on the A5.

Made another new pickup, everything else the same as the previous one but 42AWG wire, 6.4k DC. Maybe not so surprisingly this one has a tighter low end and less low mids.

The 44AWG 13.4kDC pickup has more lows and low mids.

The more I listen to it the second one seems to work really well in a mix. I'll need to do a couple more test pickups to see how a lower wound pickup works, and a really overwound.

What I've learned so far it's the pickup itself that makes 99% of the sound. The op amp is very clean, just gives it that active pickup feel and output.

So the rest of the work mostly just making a good balanced pickup to pair with it.

Different pickup, same preamp. The previous one had way too much low end.

Made a completely new pickup so I can adjust the height better. The one I used previously had a base with long legs.

6000 winds of 44 AWG wire, 13.4k DC resistance. Ceramic magnet, hex screw pole pieces.

Here's the mess'o'wires prototype vs. a "known manufacturer" :D

Thoughts? The preamp is attached to a handwound 9.9k DC res. alnico 5 humbucker.

Made a couple more pickups, medium output hb with A5 and a hb sized P90 for the neck. Pretty pleased with these ones.

Might be the first rap song ever done because it was banned in the UK in the 30's. ^^ I'm reading about Eddy, BTW.

External Content www.youtube.com

Pretty sure she sings "fxck fxck fxck it" at some point instead of buck buck bucket. :D

Thanks for checking it out! Yeah I made them for different purposes, the humbucker I wound a bit low in output for jazz/blues, and the P90 heavier for rock. I think the hb is around 9k DC and the P90 is 12k.