Posts by nakedzen

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Something to consider is that the purpose of a sub in a studio setting is not to get more low end. It's to give more headroom to your main monitors for cleaner playback since the sub's amplifier handles the low frequencies. So you get both cleaner midrange and a cleaner low end when you pair two-way monitors with a sub.

People were complaining about the lack of sound samples so I did a really quick one here:

Moderator Notice:

nakedzen "Static Impulse" album is great too! Through his solo works I have gained a completely different impression than I had before. And the vocals sit perfect in the mix - that is not the case on every Dream Theater album.

Because of Marco Sfogli I bought a 7 string guitar - I really like his playing on the albums!

Yeah much better style for his voice than DT imho.

Also now playing this. ;)

I'd go Steinberg UR242 over Focusrite for two reasons:

- Steingerg control software is so much easier to use, Focusrite Mix Control is awful imho.

- Steinberg has better sounding preamps, again imho, I have both the 6i6 and Steinberg MR816 that has the same preamps as the UR242.

Then again I would probably still end up choosing the Focusrite since it has spdif input, which none of the Steinberg USB interfaces (weirdly) don't have. The firewire versions (MR816) do have spdif.

The speakers frequency range goes down to 50Hz, but you can listen down to 35 Hz? How is this possible?

Tested with a frequency generator. You'll need to ask the manufacturer about why. :)

I don't know which graph you're reading but it's probably so that the freq curve stays even down to 50Hz and goes down from there. It doesn't sharply stop there.

Edit: Actually it was 42 Hz I remembered wrong. Still more than enough for rock and metal.

Like always with gear, get the best you can afford to avoid extra steps of upgrading your gear. You'll save a ton of money in the long run.

Personally I've been very happy with the A5X and see no need to change. If you're worried about the low end, unless you're making dubstep they do fine for rock and metal. I can hear down to 35 Hz on my setup in a treated room, and I always high pass my mixes at 50Hz anyway. :)

99.9% times the problem is one of these settings:

Buffer size

DAW driver (try switching to ASIO4ALL if you can, not sure if it's only Windows, if not then update your drivers at least)

Cables

External USB drives? Just having one connected can create crackles, but if you're recording to an external drive that's usually a bottleneck.

My guess is the culprit here is the Firewire-to-dongle hack, the signal converter is messing with the signal enough to throw the clock off. From my understanding that dongle is not really made for recording, only playback.

One (annoying) solution to this would be to record only the DI guitar via analog input, then reamp through s/pdif with buffer set to max. See if that gets rid of the crackle.