Posts by Janne

Ilitch invented and patented the system, and licensed it to Suhr. Suhr has made it sound like "he" developed it....he did not. I agree, buy it from Lindy Fralin. I have one, and you won't look back!

Just to be clear, Suhr have always acknowledge that the first version of their noice canceling products were based on tech licensed from Ilitch.
    They now have a generation 2 available that are not based on Ilitchs design, for two reasons. There were some limitations on the original design that made it hard to mix PU's with different properties.
    And the licensing fee made it unnecessarily expensive.

My vote:

Down Up I II III IIII
    1 2 3 4 5 Tap

I also like the idea of external expression pedals, I only need one but I'd like to be able to switch that one between wha and volume.

I use a FCB1010 now and it's way to big and the pedals feels 'cheap'.

/Janne

Indeed Ingolf, it has one of the best clean-to-slight-crunch sound of all the older modellers (and even some of the newer too).

The combos weakness is probably more due to the semi-open cabinet and one speaker. It gets quite blurry when upping the volume and distortion...
    One thing I don't understand why more amps have, is the Hi-mid and Lo-mid controls. Since most of the 'character' of the guitar revolves around here, this is great tools to shape the sound.

I did a couple of more profiles today, three from the crunch models and one from the Lead2. They are on the Rig Exchange now.

For those who are not familiar with this amp, it's from Yamahas first generation of modeling amps.
    I bought it in 98 after trying all the other digital options at that time, and the Yamaha won hands down.

It was developed with Alan Holdsworth as a 'consultant' and he used them until Yamaha stopped producing them.

The motorized knobs on the front made it to the most user-friendly amp ever!

[Blocked Image: http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/2760706/p1_usdow1iqd_so.jpg]

I've been using it as my home rig, but it's not been used since the KPA arrived...

So I thought it would perfect for me to train my profiling skills on.
    I might be able to get my hands on a friends Matchless amp and I'd like to have done some profiling before that...
    And I might bring home my live rig, a H&K Switchblade stack, to profile. But it's a bitch to transport...

I realized that I didn't have my SM57 at home, so I used a AKG D550. This one is originally designed for bass instruments, but I remembered that I once had to use it live to mic a guitar amp and were quite impressed of the result.
    And I think it did a splendid job of translating what I heard in the room to a KPA rig.

I've only done 3 profiles so far, one of the Clean 1, Clean 2 and Drive 2 models of the Yamaha.
    They are on the Rig Exchange now as "JM DG80 ...".

Cheers,
    Janne

Love my Anderson Cobra... sold my 89' T Classic but it was a fantastic guitar... BTW: Did you know Anderson built Suhr parts, bodies, necks, etc..? yup...

Andersson and Suhr builds amazing guitars!
    But just a correction, Anderson have never made Suhr parts.
    Tom and John are good friends since when Tom worked at Schecter way back and John worked att Pensa Guitars in NY.
    In those days when John started to build the first Pensa-Suhr models they got the parts from Tom/Schecter. This was way before Anderson Guitars and before Johns time at Fender Custom Shop, and later, Suhr Guitars.
    So some the old Pensa-Suhr guitars have parts from Tom/Schecter but any Suhr guitar is made by John and his luthiers.
    (Both Tom and John have debunked this rumors several times)

[Blocked Image: http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/aguitars/TomAndersonJohnSuhr-forposting.jpg]

I have mixed feelings about putting a LDC like a Rode on a guitar cabinet. My LDC's consist of Neumann 103, AT 4050, ADK stuff, some modded Oktava's and a few cheaper ones. The Fathead ribbon has always been a good robust sound for guitars but this profile is essentially crap.
    What tips to you guys have on making a successful profile? None of my Pre's have EQ on them. I have Chandler Germaniums, Focusrite ISA 828's, TL Audio and Demeter stuff. None of it junk. Just a bit perplexed, I suppose, at the dark and murky profile I did.
    Are you guys cutting the amp with FLAT settings? Or are you cutting it the way you want to hear it? I opted for FLAT thinking that the Kemper controls would give me what I need later. Even with this profile the kemper EQ can only do so much.

I prefer profiles that are replicating an amps different sweetspots. I then use the KPAs eq and other options to tailor the sound to suite my: guitar, speakers, taste, production...

Good luck with the OD100, I've not yet had time to try your profiles but it's an amp I've always wanted to try!

I've hade a couple of interfaces over the years, my previous one were a Tascam and I ran into the problem with a company that didn't wanted to support even their current line of stuff.
    So for the next interface, I looked around to see what manufacturer had good reputation for: Nice price, Good hardware, stable driver AND great support.
    And the only one that ticked all boxes were Focusrite.
    I got a Saffire Pro40 in feb 2009 and it has worked flawlessly, if it would break I'll get a new one...
    Focusrite always has up-to-date drivers for their stuff on their site, one example was that Focusrite were one of the first to ship 64-bit drivers for OSX...

I'm thinking of getting the Line6 Sonic Port.
    I guess that the Jam probably have slightly better converters, it's an Apogee after all, but for guitar purposes I don't think I notice a difference.

What makes the Sonic Port float to the top in the competition between Apogees and IK multimedias offerings for me is that it has its own D/A and a dedicated stereo line-out so I don't have to use the headphone output on the device to connect to any external amplification.

I see the combination of the Sonic Port + IKs BlueBoard + Bias/JamUp as nice backup/one-of-gig portable rig.

Kemper should add support for a USB-Bluetooth adapter.
    Plug one of these babies in the back and use the Rig Manager on any Mac/PC/iPad/iPhone/Android with 'no strings attached':

[Blocked Image: http://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/BestBuy_US/images/mp/products/1308/1308417/1308417507/1308417507_500x500_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=105;canvasWidth=105]

I'm a developer myself, so I know it's not that easy... but it sure would be nice and it would be easier to support mobile devices.
    Think of it, at the soundcheck, "this rig is not perfekt". pick up You iPhone, start Rig Manager and download a new one from the rig exchange...

I've noticed two behaviors here and found these workarounds:

1) The Rig Exchange doesn't update by itself.
    Workaround: Restart RigManager.
    Suggestion 2 Kemper: A menu choice and a right-click option to 'Refresh Rig Exchange'.

2) When, after a restart, the Rig Exchange is updated (it tells You that it's downloading rigs!), the list view is not updated with the new rigs.
    Workaround: I just click-to-sort on a different column, then I switch back to Rig Date, and now the new rigs are shown.
    Suggestion 2 Kemper: After finished the RE sync, force a redraw (resort) of the view.