Posts by Janne

Don't forget that You can save the cab from any rig You have.
    My favourite cabs have I saved from my favourite rigs by Guiorist, Deadlight Studio, SinMix and others.
    To try out different cabs, take a rig You like and just lock everything except the cab and then You can browse the RE, search for certain speakers, manufacturers and so on...
    And when You find cabs that You like just go to the cab section and hit save.

I have tried some IRs and I wasn't really impressed compared to great KPA cabs.
    The IRs I liked best were the Official Celestions, I bought the Greenbacks and the V30 in 4x12 configs.
    But still my favourite KPA cabs still sound and feel better when playing live but these IRs will give me some additional colours when recording.

First we need to know how You are using Your KPA:
    From what You write it sounds like You are using Your KPA with a guitar cab, is that correct?
    Have You a powered KPA or are You using another power amp to drive the cab?
    You say that the profiles sounds great at home, are You using the exact same cab? (and amp?)
    If not, how are You monitoring the KPA at home?

This is very admirable, but a USB based editor would be ideal.

I thought I had read long ago, the reason there is no USB editor, is that it may expose the IP, or the proprietary design of the KPA, if an editor were implemented over USB. Is this nonsensical hearsay?

Nope, the reason is that Kemper have not implemented MIDI-over-USB (yet...). My guess is that the standard MIDI ports are there for integration with komplex external FX and switching solutions, mainly for live usage.
    Requests have been made that Kemper should also support MIDI-over-USB since many users are using a computer to run backingtracks, lights, mixing and patch changing on their KPA and it would be nice to just use a USB cable instead.
    On the other hand, if I worked at Kemper I would probably not use the MIDI-protocol as the communication method between an editor and the KPA. There should be a dedicated API that could be used over USB/IP/Bluetooth.
    Nothing You can do over USB will "expose their IP" or anything like that. If a competitor wants to try to find out, nothing stops them from buying a KPA and poke around in the OS...

To me it sounds that Your profiles are using different cabs? So the volume/sound differences between these profiles is due to different sounding cabs, explaining why You get different results though FOH but a more consistent sound through your monitoring cab.
    So what You could try then is to use the same cab-part on all Your profiles. Easiest what to try is to just lock the cab-module and see if this would work for You...

The Amp-block compression should be 0 after doing a profile. The profiling process itself is measuring the amps natural compression, this parameter is there to let a user manually increase this type of compression.
    So if the value were more than zero, someone have manually adjusted that for some reason...
    Turning down/off the compression def. gonna give You a bigger dynamic range and the average level usually drops, making You increase the volume to compensate and as a result You will get much larger volume peaks.
    (this is sometimes a problem and is what a compressor is designed to solve)

Second, and this maybe a Kemper thing (or a user error thing) - but the volume pedal functioned at the front of the signal chain. It lowered gain and tone, just like my guitar volume knob. I want the pedal to be at the end of the signal chain. Is this a KPA setting adjustment or is this a KPA default?

It's a setting per rig. Press the 'Rig' button and there You can place the pedal where you want it in the signal chain.
    I usually have it after the amp, before the FX.

WIth my Engl E570, my Mesa 2:90 and my 1922 cab I still can get pretty close to all these tones I need, except the Vox maybe... Heavy stuff, but if you come as a second guitar player with your poor Frfr's on the same stage, you simply will be vaporized hahaha If I could come as close as this with a lighter rig would be just fine

I do think that a lot of times when we are doing these kind of comparisons it's all down to physics.
    A tube head through a 4x12 played at a level that sound great (we all know that this combination does not sound anything that we think when played at bedroom levels) does push a serious amount of air.
    This will make our hearing act differently and also we pick up part of the sound as sound pressure in our body. It also strongly interact with Your guitar, even at moderate volumes, and that will impact our impression of the sound.
    So if You want to make a real comparison then You have to use a FRFR rig that can push as much air with a similar directness that a cab. But then Your rig aren't that lightweight any longer...
    The KPA is great but it can't defy physics...

Haha you've got a point here, but when I said 'five core tones" I meant "five core tones from different amps". Let's say a fender, a vox, two marshalls and a boogie Pretty much what Kemper claims of being able to do, in a small 5kg box.

Hmm... and then You say You don't want to use a FRFR but an guitar cab? What cab would give You all these tones?
    You will not get a Fender or a Vox sound from a 4x12 Marshall cab or a Mesa Rectifier sound from an open back Alnico 1x12...
    If You want that flexibility, and I do, the FRFR path is the way to go... it might not kick Your a$$ the same way as that Marshal, but I think if You put 4 Yamaha DXR12 together it would probably do it quite well. :D

I mean the commercial greenback pack from celestion. But these are only my 2 cents. I am not a fan of greenbacks in general. I tested this pack 30 minutes and than i deleted all.

Ok, I tend to gravitate towards the V30s for high-gain but I've started to use the Greenbacks from Celestion and Guido on medium-gain Marshall/Friedman sounds to get the 'brown' character...
    I find that in almost 99% of all profiles, commercial or free, changing the cab to one of the Celestions, Franks, Guido or Sinmix always makes it better...

Search for rigs from deadlight and store seperately the cabs from Lars ( Lars Kemper rigpack too because Lars and Frank are deadlight studios). His 1960 AV cab is awesome. I owned one original celestion greenback IR pack and it sounds like crap. You can save your money using deadlight and also guidorist cabs.

:thumbup:
    I have done this for the last couple of Years, and Lars and Guidos cabs are great!
    But when You refer to the Celestion IRs as crap, do You mean the official ones that Celestion released last year?
    Because I have the 4x12 Greenbacks and 4x12 V30 packs from them and I think they are wonderful!
    Actually the it's first IRs that sounded as good as the BEST cabs from Lars, Guido and SinMix. Other IRs I've tried have sounded weird and def not up to the standard of a great KPA cab.