Posts by endlessnameless

Trying to organise my music now does my head in. Years ago it was simple. Buy CD, put on shelf, play CD.

Now we have the time consuming process of ripping and retagging etc. I bought a program to sort out all the errors on iTunes and it messed things up too. Songs wrongly named or categorised. What a nightmare.

And after all that you still have a huge compromise in sound quality. Lets face it, if you rip at lossless you have huge file sizes that won't play on many devices - so most of the time it is a lossy fie.

I end up listening to Spotify or Amazon Prime on my crappy laptop or phone speakers so I am as guilty as anyone. But I do feel that as musicians we should be railing against digital music as it currently stands.

It encourages lazy listening habits and generally distributes with inferior sound quality. And it undoes a lot of the work we all do to make our tracks sound the best they can! Not even considering the whole remuneration issue!

I kind of feel that iTunes is a bit like how I used to look at Line 6 modelling products.Convenient, flashy - cheap and easy. But plastic, hollow and tinny. Disposable.

No wonder vinyl has made a comeback.

Most people do, that's what confirmation bias is. As an audio engineer, I can't remember how many times I've tweaked an EQ setting, thinking I'm making something sound better, only to realise I'm tweaking the wrong track!

This!!! Amazing how the mind plays tricks on you.

Several people are saying the 'legacy delay' sounds better. But I bet its the same too. Placebo effect!

It relates to packaging too. If you look at some boutique stompboxes I am sure a lot of what you 'hear' you are hearing with your eyes. Look at an ugly cheaply built pedal and it immediately clouds your judgement.

Some people are saying the stomps sound better and the legacy delay sounds better than the old delays.

Is this a placebo effect or have those FX actually changed? I thought that Kemper had just added a dry mix on the stomps and effectively renamed the old delays. Have the algos changed?

I generally agree, but even @Klappy, the guy I originally quoted, put a big fat smiley in his post, as did I.
    It seems to me that in 'pre firmware release times' some people have difficulty seeing the humour in a post.
    Even if it is in capital letters.
    ;)

Fair enough - forums and email are fraught with these sorts of dangers!

Why you come to such perception and try to go after me is beyond me. I have not implied it's a bad thing at all.

This is indeed a message board, and it's part of the human nature to voice opinions and even expand from there to beliefs and other concepts. So in the end threads like these are inevitable, and I for one think that some of the OT posts in this one were quite interesting. ;)

The problem is that my impression is that there are a few occasions where a select bunch of people 'round' and undermine anyone who even gives a sniff of criticism, whether it is constructive or not. References to 'soothsayers' and OT posts and CK sipping wine and laughing. Quite frankly it is passive aggressive bully boy playground mentality. As long as we are discussing in a civil way and being constructive there is nothing wrong with not saying 'everything is brilliant' all the time.

I'm curious if there are more business analysts, philosophers, or soothsayers here on this forum. I think that 4.0 better come out before Kemper's entire business plan gets rewritten and product line gets redesigned. :D

I know younare kidding but there is no harm in passionate customers to keep a company on its toes! Perhaps Atari would still be around if they had an internet forum fulll of customers with suggestions.

Not really sure why you felt the need to insert paragraph tags there, but, that aside, Line 6 is backed by Yamaha. Kemper is Kemper - a smaller company with two products, no sub-companies or partnerships. Getting a dedicated editor means development time, debugging, cross platform support, and, on top of all that, paying the developers to build the thing. It's different when you have talent you can just tell to "hey build this thing," it's another when you have limited resources and a small company.

Yes, there's rig manager. Yes, it's cross platform. But the only update its really had since I picked up my Kemper about a year ago was the addition of performances. There's still no real editing, and ckemper has gone on record saying that probably wouldn't ever be a thing.

There's one called Toaster that's open source and works via MIDI. Look into it if that's what you need.

Doug I have no idea why paragraph markers got entered there either, I also have no idea why you felt the need to raise it?? In any event I think you missed the point of my post, which isn't about an editor in particular, just an observation.

You know I totally get that point. I am just observing the market really.

Personally I think the original Kemper would hold its value quite well even if a V2 came out. I wouldn't be opposed to paying good money for some extra features.

Well, they do have the resources of Yamaha behind them! 8|

True - that is not lost on me. But there is another big rival who I won't name - don't have those resources and have been very quick with updates and relatively quick with rolling out new hardware like floor units etc.

Respectfully disagree on all counts. ;)
    Line 6 NEVER finished a product to a state that all bugs were sorted.
    And at the same time they NEVER stated that the life Cycle of a product had come to an end.
    They only chose to roll out a new flagship.
    And as for getting from A to B: Kemper nailed the core technology from te beginning.
    From there it is embellishments. So they don't need to get to B.. ;)

I agree that Kemper nailed the amp modelling. I am not debating that or whether it is better than Line 6

My point is that Line 6 do roll out key functionality (new/upgraded fx computer editing software/flexible routing) much more quickly, which frees them up to create new products.

Your other points I think are veering away from my original point. But to address them:

Not saying L6 sorted all the bugs but in my experience of MANY Line 6 products there were never any bugs as serious as I have experienced using the Kemper. Kemper fixed the bugs to their credit - but even so I was pretty concerned when I bought the unit how many serious bugs and hardware issues I came across even though it wasn't a new product at the time.
    And I am not sure how relevant it is if L6 state that a life cycle had ended or not (that is a PR issue - Kemper said the new firmware would be out in Feb and we are still waiting ).

I am no supporter of Line 6 - I hated some of their products. And they had their fair share of QC problems. And I really like my Kemper for all its faults. I have said that Christoph is clearly a genius. But when you look at rolling out key FW L6 clearly have the resources to do it more quickly. I feel a little envious - but I remember that the Kemper amp sounds are much better than L6 which makes it an easier pill to swallow.

I hear you @Michael_dk.
    What I was meaning to say is: I have seen (and used and paid for) too many Line 6 'flagship' products since 1999.
    Longevity was never an attribute you could give to a Line 6 product. And quite a few of their products (Axsys, Ax2, Vetta 1 and 2) were abandoned from one day to the next. End of FW development, end of support, end of story.
    Such policy evidently is never going to happen with Kemper.
    And in the light of these facts I don't care at all if they (Line 6) are fast at releasing an editor. ;)

I have a lot of respect for you ingolf but I am not sure I agree. Line 6 just get from A to B quicker which explains why FW updates stop sooner than with the Kemper. I am no great defender of Line 6 but they usually give several years support and do several major FW updates to key functionality before moving on to other products. If Kemper had moved faster in rolling out key features for the profiler perhaps we would see them moving on to other things such as a floor unit by now?

<p>A lot of the smaller&nbsp;venues in the UK won't let you use your own backline due to safety regs (they want to make sure anything running on their system is properly tested). Interestingly they don't care about floor FX units. So if they won't let you plug in your Kemper&nbsp;or similar rack unit&nbsp;because it looks too much like an Amp you could probably get away with a sansamp.</p>

The character series is pretty good. The old 'classic' is my fave for clean sounds but it doesn't take distortion well because of the headroom. But the newer ones like the Liverpool have more headroom. Great as a backup.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the 11R is basically the Eleven plug in in a hardware unit. If you can try out the plug in you can hear what 11R sounds like.

I think the 11R has the same sonic fingerprint as the Line 6 stuff. It is a bit better than the POD but I felt the sansamp stuff was more organic sounding, lighter and cheaper.