Posts by djazz

I got this email today: "The status of your order with order number xxxxx of 14-01-2015 has changed. The new status is as follows: pending/waiting for payment.

How do I pay . . . . . . very unclear . . . . does not seem to be a way of doing this on the website. I sent them an email, but has anyone had this issue?

My interim solution: Merged profile, monitor out into Lexicon MPX-1 (monitor cabs off selected) stereo out to solid state power amp in stereo to EVM12L's. Wow what a sound with the Lex Verb/delay in stereo. There are many ways to do things with the KPA, I'm just so impressed with it I want to only use it

Yes, Sambrox, I am referring to merged profiles. When I heard about 3.0 I was excited about it because I thought I could use it almost like I used a pre-amp before having the KPA. I would buy various tube preamps (add effects before and after), send the L/R signals to a Mesa Boogie 20/20P Tube power amp and then in stereo to these EVM12L's I have in these slant cabinets (the cabinets already have mic adapters on them so if I needed to go to the PA, they could be both mic'd and sent to the PA and panned in mono). On stage, I heard a beautiful stereo sound, in the audience, the mains being too far apart wouldn't be used in stereo, just mono. Basic stuff.

Since using the KPA, any stage monitoring has been done via the monitor sound sent to me via the sound man for instance. Not in stereo.

I guess I need to readdress the need to go stereo (unless I am misunderstanding something here - very possible), but I get spoiled at home listening to myself via studio monitors in stereo. These reverbs, delays and choruses etc. sound so beautiful in stereo, it's night and day. Now that I went back to the speaker and tried it in mono with one EVM 12L, it sounds night and day.

If we can't use "Monitor Cab's Off" feature in stereo (via monitor and direct out outputs I guess) can I at least use the main outputs in stereo with the same DI profile sound just by turning cabinets off. I didn't think it sounded identical and I apologize, I haven't had a chance to try it again since yesterday. Sambrox seems to think it does not. I assume I can get a DI profile (not merged yet) and do this for sure. The reason I ask is that at least for small gigs I could run stereo with two guitar speakers and a solid state amp and get the results I'm looking for.

I know I can always go FRFR, but would like to use guitar cabinets in stereo authentically.

Thanks in advance for any help or coaching/educating me.

Dave

We need a "Direct Volume Cab Off" software switch in the Master Output Menu to run stereo on stage via DI Profiles is the best I can figure with the Monitor Out set to Master Left and the Direct Out set to Master Right. Anyone have it figured out otherwise that can assist me to run stereo on stage while running the main outputs to the FRFR? I thought this was possible but maybe not?
    I can't figure this out from the manual and it seems an obvious feature, but maybe not because not too many run stereo.

Is it possible to have a Direct Amp Profile powered by a stereo solid state amp driving stereo guitar speakers on stage? I've been assuming this would be possible until I actually downloaded 3.0 and found out that the monitor output is mono (hadn't turned the Kemper around in a while I guess or thought it would be TRS etc. or that the Direct Out could be used for the other side). Now I'm thinking this isn't possible.

By the way, I tried running the Main outputs to my stereo solid state power amp and to the guitar speakers (with the cabinet button turned off) and it didn't sound that good. When I use the mono monitor output (Monitor Cab Off checked) with the same DI profile it finally sounds authentic. I thought it would sound the same.

So are these new factory Merged rigs created with the new method such that if I use a solid state amp and a guitar speaker I can hear the new "better" profiling method and these actual amps with no cabinet effects added? It sounds like it to me, but I wanted to make sure I understand.

Merged Rigs Pack (February 2015)

This Rig Pack includes 49 Merged Rigs, which are also embedded in firmware 3.0. Instead of restoring the complete Factory Content via "Factory Rigs" function in System menu you could download this pack and import these Rigs selectively.

Merged Rigs are a new capability of firmware 3.0.0 and NOT downward compatible! Please make sure to install 3.0.0 firmware first.

Each Merged Rig includes a combination of a Direct Amp Profile (without cabinet) plus a Studio Profile (with cabinet) of the same amp with identical settings.

In order to learn more about Merged Rigs please read the chapter "Working with Amplifier Profiles, Cabinet Profiles, power amp and real cabinets" available in Addendum 3.0 as well as latest Reference Manual.

I'm finding it a bit "funky" to get used to. If I'm in a rig, and I press on the System button I get a greyed out screen. I can't figure out how to access the System features. Can't get to LCD contrast etc. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Also, I think before, if you pressed on Reverb, it went to the Green Reverb screen immediately. Now it shuts it off. You have to press and hold to get to the Green screen. Are these bugs?

EDIT
    I answered my own question, the Systems menu is greyed out because I don't have the remote yet. You can page over to not greyed out screens and load the factory content that way.

I take it when the remote is ready to ship we will have options of how to pay? I ordered using pay in advance which seems to have allowed payment to be deferred until shipping.

I just sent an email to support because in the email I received, it says if you selected credit card, you are "all set", however, you can't add any card information/number and with Paypal option you can't add details either. I'm assuming they'll be emailing people when they are ready to ship asking for the payment details for all 3 options. Was anyone else able to add credit card details in the store?

I just order the Logidy UMi3 3 switch USB midi pedal and noticed the convolution pedal as well. The convolution pedal could be used for backup as the new firmware does speaker emulation. This and a distortion pedal and maybe some other effects pedals would be a simple back-up.

I just order the UMi3 3 switch USB midi pedal and noticed the convolution pedal as well. This could be used for backup as the new firmware does speaker emulation. This and a distortion pedal and maybe some other effects pedals would be a simple back-up.

I just ordered the Logidy UMi3 (even though the Kemper Remote will most likely do the same thing). I needed it for the Fishman TP for sending CC messages. Inexpensive and comes with a software looper that looks nice. Yet another thing to hold me off until the Remote and a looper/remote option.

Fishman Triple Play, Spectrasonics Trilian and Omnisphere 2, Toontrack EZ Drummer/Keys, and new interface if you need it, Mac with Logic. These are things that excited me beyond the KPA and new guitars. Software and computers are real bang for the buck. Oh and a few new mic's for your acoustics. You need a concert classical guitar too, but plan on $4000 for a decent one. After obtaining all of this, be sure to post some music on Soundcloud so we can hear the results of your G.A.S..

That is great Jorrit, I think I could figure it out too, as an Electrical Engineer myself, but I don't think I could do as well with the cost being so low already. I like to concentrate on jazz guitar. It does interest me though very much, got any specs to PM me?

This is the even better statement that has me concerned about the type of power amp you would want to have to use the DI profile to play through your own speakers: "When this profile is later run by the Profiler's internal class-D power-amp, or a separate solid-state power-amp, into a guitar
    speaker, it will faithfully recreate the sound and feel of the original tube-amp.". I would think using any power amp that tries to be more like a tube guitar power amp may sound fine, but you then won't sound exactly like the original tube amp (preamp and power amp).

The matrix says "Using premium quality components and high quality MosFets allows the GT800FX to give a sound that many users have compared to high end valve power amps"

ISP Stealth says: "The STEALTH is based on analog class A/B amplifier design for excellent sonic and saturated clipping performance, not found with Class D power amplifiers and will exceed the stringent tone characteristics of the professional guitarist.

The EHX says: "The new 44 Magnum guitar amp head provides 44 watts of clean and natural power but can also deliver a true amplifier overdrive at the turn of a knob."

The pdf says with respect to using the DI profile that should be exactly like the pre-amp and power amp profiled, "The result is thus highly authentic, and ready to be amplified by a solid-state amp, orthe optional, built-in class- D power amp of the PowerHead and PowerRack." This has me searching for a power amp as well. I want one in stereo. The Camplifier stereo one would be nice, but by the time I get it shipped to the USA and pay the extra exchange rate it would probably cost $500. Not that it's out of the question, but for that money, there are many other choices. So, I've looked into the ISP stealth, Matrix GT800, Carvin DCM200L, EHX Magnum (would need two). Because it specifically says "solid-state" amp, I would think that you would want a power amp that will not color the sound (otherwise, why not use my Mesa Boogie 20/20P stereo tube power amp). I'm thinking that the ISP and the EHX and the Matrix have been tonally colored to be more like a tube amp, with breaking up characteristics etc. tailored to guitarists. What do you guys think the characteristics to look for are? Shouldn't I be looking for a clean solid-state power amp? Having said that, what is recommended.