Posts by djazz

I will want the same soon to try with some EV 12's I have. Hopefully soon after 3.0 is released we will have many options. Also, mainly jazz here but I currently use full profiles. I am looking forward to better understand the new profiling and the differences in both the amp and cab vs. before.

I agree. If his profiles weren't so good I'd almost think you guys were buttering him up to "Redo" all of his cabs with the new profiling method.

Seriously, would the cabinets be different now with the new profiling method since the separation is improved?

As I get closer to receiving the Remote, I've been thinking about Expression Pedals (the post regarding different brands has been very helpful) and how I would use them. I thought I'd ask you guys how/what you use them for. Some ideas are: As overall Volume at the output, as Volume prior to everything for Allan Holdsworth volume swells with delay, as a Wah pedal, as a Whammy pedal, Mix on Delay and other effects. I'm sure I'm missing some creative ideas here and would like your additional thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

That's excellent. It would be great for me as I play a nylon string guitar that has an XLR output from internal condensers as well as a Piezo out. Separate EQ and Reverb. Great for small jazz gigs or jam sessions. You get funny looks when walking into a jam session with a large guitar amp etc.. This would be impressive for that. Too bad it's so expensive because I've got quite a few other things on my mind at the moment: Remote, Expression pedals and a solid state amp for the back of the KPA.

My main guitar does not have any inlays (Benedetto Benny). I find that the way I play, I don't see the inlays anyays as I am looking at the side of the neck. I do use the dots for reference on the side of the neck. I like the look of the Benny with ebony fretboard and only a bird inlay at the 12th fret. It is a very inornate guitar and I like that.

I would like a 2 x 25W model. Would it be much lighter than the 2 x 180W model? What advantage would there be? Just a cheaper price?

Also, how do your amplifiers compare to the one that comes with the Powered Kempers? I have a Mesa 20/20P Tube power amp, but with the new profiling method, solid state power amps are recommended, so this has me looking around. I was looking at various Carvin solid state amps and I even have an old Crown Microtech amp (but it weighs a millions pounds). Your solution looks perfect.

Do you have the powered version of the KPA? I guess one would get similar results with a solid state power amp and cabinet. I don't have one at the moment. I do have a Mesa 20/20P and Stereo EVM 12's in wedges that I want to try this with, but I'm thinking the 20/20P isn't necessary and in fact might not give me the results you are getting because of what was in the .pdf : "The result is thus highly authentic, and ready to be amplified by a solid-state amp, or
    the optional, built-in class- D power amp of the PowerHead and PowerRack". So would it matter which Solid State Amp? Perhaps the built in Kemper one has advantages?

I've been using the Bose L1 Model II System with the little mixer. The main thing lacking for me is I miss the stereo imaging I hear when practicing at home on my studio monitors. I could buy another one, but that is so much more to carry around. I think the vocals sound great through it along with the guitars (acoustic and electric). I wish the effects (reverb) was better but I guess you could add something externally. For me, it all depends on how much you want to set-up and carry, and how much you want to spend. If you could put a single FRFR behind you and not feedback the vocals, that may be fine for most of the gigs. I say do it and keep your life nice and simple so you continue to enjoy playing out as you get older. With two FRFR's on poles you won't hear the guitar unless you bring more monitors and once again more stuff. There are some Bose alternatives out there (i.e. no need for monitors type systems) but I'm not aware of any that are better. Does anyone else know? Pat Metheny filled his entire stage with the L1's and compacts when he did the Orchestrion tour and it sounded amazing. I really think that is a big endorsement for Bose. I know the distortion guys might disagree (and I'd probably agree with them for that application other FRFR's are better), but even the original KPA trials I saw used the Bose L1 system. Let's see what other opinions we get as I'd be interested too.

With the new format which will be "perfect separation between Amplifier and Cabinet Profiles", does this mean that older commercial profiles, for example from TAF, could (or need to be) redone to provide the benefits of the improved separation? Cab Driver algorithm creates the best approximation of a "separation line" between the Amplifier and Cabinet Profile when profiled together as a complete amplifier. Wouldn't we want everything separate for best results. In other words, all of our older profiles should be updated with new ones eventually to have the best possible results. That way if I have the TAF '69 Deluxe Reverb profile, and I want to change the cabinet to an EVM 12L mic'd with a specific mic/mic pre-amp. For the most accuracy, I'd need a redone TAF '69 Deluxe profile and a new IR for the EVM 12L and use only the Amp section from the TAF profile (which would be slightly different than the old profile due to the older approximation when separating things). Am I thinking correctly here?

Could someone point me to a thread that addresses setting levels properly. I am wondering if there is an order. For example, Clean/Distortion Sense, Amplifier Volume, Cabinet Volume, the various volumes in the Master section, the master volume knob, the Gain knob and finally the volume knob. Besides all these, there are volumes associated with pedals, Reverb, Modulation etc..

I'm asking because I switched to another Clean rig and the M<aster LED was clipping Red. It seems that I can eliminate it by (1) reducing input clean sense (not distortion sense probably because it's a clean sound) (2) reducing Amplifier Volume (3) reducing Cabinet Volume etc.

I'm thinking that reducing some of these vs. others affects the original profiled tone where other methods do not.

I'm looking for a simple procedure (if one exists) that says: Adjust Clean and Distortion sense as follows, if Master LED is clipping do this; if you want to hear more cabinet sound do tho, less cabinet do this etc..

This has probably been discussed a lot and I tried some searches but only seem to find bits and pieces which confuse me further.

Thanks in advance.

I'm mainly a jazz player. I play a Benedetto Benny, which is a chambered/hollow "Les Paul" looking guitar similar in sound to a 335 maybe. I play clean profiles 95% of the time. My favorites are :

• =4-Deluxe Clean (from the Amp Factory) and many of his others (BS Art15 Clean, Stileto Clean and Clean Fat, Vox AC30 Clean etc.)
    • Princeton Clean
    • Fender Champion 600
    • Henriksen 112extJAZZ

I can make pretty much any of the clean profiles work for me with some guitar and or Gain adjustments but those listed sound good the way they are and it's interesting to hear the subtle differences. I use my effects settings "Locked" on all of them. That is simply Hall Reverb and some Analog Delay. I'm always after a sound like my favorite players which are more of the modern players and I always have loved Wes Montgomery or Ed Bickert's playing and the KPA gets me there easily just like any good tube amp would. I've always liked the idea of using a "fenderish" preamp, power amp and speakers in the past, so using the Kemper as a preamp (with Cab's turned off) with effects works well with a Mesa 20/20P Poweramp and EV speakers in stereo. I think I actually prefer the sound going through my KRK Rokit 8's FRFR (with Cab's back on) or even my Bose L1 Model 2 (but with the Bose I miss the stereo sound and have thought of buying another, but that is a lot to haul around). Ideally I'd like 2 small powered FRFR speakers but haven't decided which ones. With jazz gigs lighter is better and this is about the best sound I've achieved. I do like the sound of my Lexicon MPX-1 Rich Hall reverb a little better than the KPA reverb, but it's not so different that I have to bring it along.

I did a few profiles on the Rig Exchange that aren't that great compared to most, but they work too they are of a Blues Junior and then a Blues Junior with a Plimsoul (if you back off on the guitar volume you can get a Scofield thing happening).. Of course using the Amp Factory =-4 Deluxe and the "Mouse" distortion gets you there too with some tweaking.

Very fun and versatile to use the KPA. I love the convenience of recording too, although I don't do too much at the moment.

Good luck and have fun with the Organ Trio. Let us hear some of it if you record it with the KPA.

Dave

Same, no affilitiation with anything. Thanks for the heads up, as I browsed, I had heard about the discount. I've looked into some other plug-ins as well because of this. I like this "other gear" section as it often reveals some GEMS especially after my G.A.S. has declined significantly due to the KPA. By the way, after going back and forth between the plug-ins and the KPA reverb, I've actually learned to appreciate and like the KPA reverb more. Some of those other reverbs are adding modulation and delays so you can't simply compare them to the KPA reverb only. The KPA reverb is actually quite a decent reverb in itself and I'm sure they will continue to improve and add to it.

I love Reverb. I downloaded the free trial of this and it's absolutely beautiful. I compared it with various ones I have in Logic including Space Designer with some IR's of the H3000, TC and others. I must say the Eventide is one of my favorites. I only gave a few minute test with my jazz guitar playing through it. I can't get the KPA reverb to sound like this, but it is fine for what I do. I've always thought I'd like some different algorithms in the KPA especially the longer Halls like I hear in the Eventide where the decay is so perfect and beautiful. Maybe in the future for the KPA, but most people here would want a spring reverb first. Good stuff, thanks for posting. I'll probably buy it. By the way, they give you a 30 day free trial on this with no restrictions. Then it's on $79 which is a good deal.