Posts by djazz

It very well could be the MOTU 828mkii as I have had an issue with it before. I sent it back to MOTU and for $100 they sent me this refurbished one a few months back. I am using a Mac as well. I never like blaming anyone because 9/10 times the fault points right back at me :). I do have my eye on the SPL Crimson interface as soon as wife stops spending money on her iphone in-app purchases for Hay Day.

I stopped using SPDIF altogether this weekend. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm spending too much time troubleshooting so I just use the analog outs and it is fine for me. It is dissappointing, but not a big deal. So you know, I use a MOTU 828mkii which sync's fine internally or externally to other devices (like my Lexicon MPX1). It seems to sync intermittently with the KPA. Often when I take a break and come back, there is tons of clicking and popping. Also, the MOTU seems to lose the lock on the clock often and the MOTU blinks back and forth between 44.1 and 48khtz. I have no idea what is happening . . . . bad cables, problem with the MOTU, problem with the KPA hardware or softwareetc. It has worked well for me in the past, but just not lately. As long as I keep the MOTU set to internal, all music coming from the computer is perfect, if I switch back to the KPA as source, problems begin.

I'm not complaining, just putting my experiences out there for KPA or others benefit.

Regardless, the KPA is still awesome.

I just wanted to add that I converted the side by side fridge in the garage to a kegerator and my wife has noticed lately I've got a lot more GAS. I'm not sure what she means.

Nakedzen, I only record myself so I don't need many inputs. I really want quality I/O though as I have very nice classical guitars. All my electric stuff goes through the KPA. Thanks for the link.

I don't think USB is an issue with companies like Audient, SPL, NI etc. making interfaces getting praise. I've seen the calculations that show that USB2 is more than enough for many tracks of audio etc. . . . . . I'm no expert though.

I ran across the NI Komplete 6 today as well. The SPL Crimson is a bit more expensive, I could get it for $580 shipped to the door. The SPL most likely has better converters and preamps, since it's SPL, but I read a review on the NI that said it was very good compared to several higher end interfaces. For what I'd do it would probably be fine. I may just get one and wait and see what others say about the SPL Crimson vs. Audient iD22 vs. Babyface vs. etc. over time. The RME Fireface 400 is probably awesome as well, but it is more expensive. I would think that most of these would be better than my MOTU 828 mk2 was. It had a lot of features, but it is older technology. I opened it up and can see where the REG2 has browning around it so it is a heat sink issue or failed solder joint or something. It works until it heats up, then the weirdness starts. Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Dave

I use my KRK Rokit 8's in my studio and they sound fine for what I do. Not to hi-jack the thread, but since we are on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of gigging speakers (powered FRFR) I can use with the KPA that are small and light weight? I play jazz so mostly clean sounds at lower volumes (for example the Rokit 8's are more than loud enough but too bulky and fragile for gigging) It would be great if someone made a single powered stereo cabinet that was small and light.

After many years I am the proud owner of a failed MOTU 828 mk2. Mine has the same rebooting issue that upon searching forums many others have had. MOTU will fix it for $100 but I am ready to move onto something better.

I started my search with the various MOTU, Focusrite, RME, Apogee etc. items and ran across the SPL Crimson and the Audient IP22 (both fairly reasonable in price). The SPL Crimson appears to use the same quality preamps as the SPL Gainstation. It looks very cool in that it is an interface, preamp, converter and monitor controller all in one with ability to connect an iPhone/ipad etc.. What do you think about this SPL Crimson and/or do you have any other recommendations?

I don't record anything much other than myself with classical guitars and jazz guitar etc. through the Kemper and probably via SPDIF. Any drums I use are all from Logic and loops etc. and if I need to do more, I've got local studios and friends with gear.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is making a purchase and what you are looking at.

Wow. Thank You very much for pointing this out. I love reverb and especially Lexicon verbs. I will figure this out and load them into Space Designer today. Will we ever be able to use these reverbs in the KPA? I know about the IR tool and all, but isn't that just for cabinets?

Thanks for letting us know. I use the KPA with clean profiles mostly since I play/study jazz and I found many apps for iphone that are great for travel as someone suggested. Fender Amplitube, for example is very good for use while on vacation. I downloaded Jamup XT a while back but didn't like it as much as Amplitube due to the amp model. I will try Bias later when I get home, but I think I am going to like it better than Amplitube by the looks of it. I love the looper for practicing. It is impressive how good these things are sounding now.

Problem solved. I searched the internet and found that I could do a "Reset" of the MOTU 828mkii by disconnecting the firewire cable, pressing Setup, then Select, then Value. It reset it to the factory defaults. Now, no more pops and no more shutting down SPDIF every minute or so. Somehow it got corrupted. It may or may not have anything to do with the software I installed. Noting here for my future searches or if anyone else has an older MOTUI product.

I recently installed a program called iReal Pro to my Mac. It is like Band in a Box where it plays an automatic backing track for you. At first, no sound could be heard. I contacted them and they sent me a different version. Then, everything seemed to work. However, know I am having this problem:

* After playing for a few minutes, I hear a loud "pop" and
    * Left and right volumes go to zero
    * Panning is Centered on both channels
    * and are panned to the center.

It is as though a MIDI type command is being sent via SPDIF every few minutes telling my iMac to do this. I deleted their program and it still does this. I'm not sure who/what is the culprit here: the KPA, the MOTU 828mk ii, the iMac with the latest OSX or what. Does anyone have any advice? I am working with the software folks on this. There was something mentioned about "sandboxing", does anyone know what that means?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

He is a perfect candidate for the AF2 forum. Thanks to us smugs he sold his KPA here. There is nothing wrong with either, to each his own, but as several have stated, the AF owner is rude himself and that is enough to not get my support. What he experienced here is nothing. Having said that, I have tried both and the KPA gives me warm clean jazz tones vs. thin, tinny clean tones on the AF. I get better cleans through Fender Amplitube through headphones than the AF. Maybe that has changed but if it ain't broke why fix it.

Everyone just calm down. What you are experiencing is Microsoft Windows frustrations and has nothing to do with the KPA. Once the Mac version is released it will all be fine. . . . . . . Had to say this!