Posts by e_del

... but is all that power actually needed?

I'm starting now to experiment with my KPA with a spare EHX Magnum 44 attached to a Celetison GT<something> speaker (no cab simulation), and it seems quite loud already... taking two of them to go stereo should cost less than the mono powered amp solution, and I think should be loud enough for most of giggin' situations...

If i had the chance maybe today I'd buy the rack model, but I'd stay non-powered...

Just started tweaking, but I've to say that perfomance mode + UNO4KEMPER + dual midi cable (bidirectional communication) works perfectly!
    Very useful for comparisons between different amps/settings without having to duplicate the original rig (good for testing integrity)

I just noticed that the 5 performance slot names are not updated, when I press "exit" to save the new settings (that use a different amp of course)
    Is it a known issue?

(temporary link to a display photo)
    https://docs.google.com/file/d…YBuKrelZrd3J1UndrZXc/edit

1) The profiler takes any pedals just fine.

Hi Ingolf, thx for answering.
    I think I miswrote my first question... my point wasn't if the KPA would accept a pedal signal or not, but if the KPA made any difference in terms of responsivenes (thus quality of emulation/profiling) if used with or without internal effects set.

I know it sounds a bit "nerdy", but my idea is that without using internal effects, the "pure" amp simulation could be even better... thus my thought about using the KPA as amp-only simulation, and continuing to use my beloved outboard pedals, wether in front or in the send/return loop ...

Hello everybody,

I don't remember if it was already discussed in detail, but since KPA is an AMP profiler, I wonder if:
    1) does make any difference in terms of amp "feeling" and responsiveness if I use the KPA only for amp simulation, continuing to use my pedals to add the effects I need?
    (placing them before the KPA, like I usually do with regular amps)

2) Using the send/return loop implies a double A/D D/A signal conversion... Could this make preferrable using the inner effects?
    I'm always talking in terms of responsiveness to touch/play, more than sound by itself...

I think it's easy for me to discover.. I just need to try! :)
    But since I'm more tolerant than before to these kind of issues, I'm curious if some hardcore amp tester/player did notice any difference...

I use TOTAL COMMANDER for this. I just click on a .kpabackup file like it was any other directory. This means I don't have to tar/untar. Instead I just backup, delete and then, instead of saving as .tar I go back, up in the directory hirachy and it is done.

Hello fretboardminer,
    I used Commander-like programs a lot in the past, but I forgot to mention now I'm a OSX user, and I wanted to use the tools available by default...
    thx for the suggestion anyway, TC is a very useful program.

although even if I were in WIndows, I'd never like space char in filenames...
    (thinking all the times I by accident renamed a file to "." or " " , in unix :( )

Hello everybody,
    been some time since my last visit here.

At last I had time to upgrade to the latest 2.0.1, and on the fly I took chance to clean up my rigs by doing the Backup/untar/delete/tar move.
    See the thread "too many rigs, need to cleanup." (waiting for some kind of official/unofficial librarian sw appearing... )

Not a big problem, but I'd suggest to modify backup (tar) file naming removing the space between the date and time, maybe using an underscore "_" instead, because it forces to use the double quotes in tar/untar command lines.

e.g.: now is "2013-07-09 09-07-49", could be 2013-07-09_09-07-49

I know, it's a tweak, and I'm lazy, but had 30 sec of confusion, before figuring out what the command line errors came from... could be annoying for some less IT-skilled...
    Nothing necessary, but somewhat useful... :)

Can this be done? I have avoided the FCB due to the A/C cord that plugs into the back. If it can be powered via midi I'll change my mind.

I had one that worked, with a Line6 POD.. then sold everything some years ago.
    I wonder (and just wrote in another forum thread) if the KPA could provide power supply to a modified FCB 1010 (via a full MIDI cable, with all the 5 pins connected)....

just installed the firmware, everything seemingly ok.

now waiting for a dual midi cable to arrive
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261209344565

I once owned a "hacked" FCB1010 controller, that got powered directly via MIDI cable.
    It worked for sure with my line 6 POD (had one, then sold everything).
    Would the KPA be able to power the FCB 1010 this way (via MIDI connectors)?
    I could consider modify my new one, thus eliminating the 220 V cable ...

Hello everybody
    by chance I own a couple of those EHX power amp pedals and I'm wondering what could be the best use I could make (other than selling them and buying a powered speaker)...
    With two pedals I could go either mono or stereo.. any suggestion about speaker brands I could give a try?
    thnks in advance
    Enrico

Hello everybody (forgive my english),
    as far as I can play, KPA is still perfect for me, but I'm just curious...

Reading about the new feature requests, what comes in my mind is that most of (if not all) the requests are about the "secondary" functions, like effects, editor, management sw, looper, power amp, etc...
    Nowadays every box has a gazillion effects, etc, but my opinion is that the big "plus" of the KPA is the profiling algorythm, for the bare amplifier, and only after that come the various "bells and whitles".

Personaly I'd happily sacrifice some effect plugin, if the computing power would be used for a better (and probably CPU intensive) profiling algorythm implementation, so I wonder if at the moment there's some kind of R&D group working to improve the profiling routines, to achieve (if possible) a future better amp/cab profile
    response.
    Or is the one we have now already the best option possible?

(update)
    Maybe my message is not clear enough: I suppose that the various FW updates contain also refinements in the current profiling algorythm.. but I wonder if there is some research for a "new generation" algorythm going on...

There is a third party tag editor in the forum that works also with OSX

very nice! I'll give a try,
    but I think what I need is much simpler than that.
    Having the rig files in a directory, and willing to select only those with a certain attribute, I'm thinking to a grep-like command (for those who speak Unix), so that I can easily manage subsets of files in the directory

something like
    ls | grep [<amp model>|<author>|<cab model>|...]
    so that I can easily move or make a list of the filenames with that precise attribute set...

Correct, .zip will not work

thanks for the reply !
    I'll try ASAP.

I'm also wondering if with some smart "grep" or "cut" terminal command (I'm on OSX) is it possible to extract some info from the rig files, to list them selectively basing e.g. on Author, or Amp Model... the simple filename could be misleading..

Willing to cleanup my KPA, I'm thinking about deleting all my rigs and start adding ordinately the profiles on purpouse.
    I read some other thread in the foum, so please confirm if this is the right way to proceed:

• Full backup on USB drive (it's a zipped file, despite the non .zip file extension)
    • Rename *.zip and Unzip on HD
    • Move all files in the ./rig directory elsewhere
    • Zip of the whole backup tree
    • Rename with the old backup filename
    • Restore to KPA

I should now be able to re-import the rigs I like to try , based on a particular amp profile (at the moment Fender Deluxe, both free and commercial ones), via the ./shared dir, like any other exchanged rig...
    Is this the correct way to go?
    thanks in advance
    Enrico

Hello everybody,
    As the number of available free profiles increase, and the availability of very good cheap commercial ones (well... cheap compared to the amount spent to buy the KPA) I revamp an idea that yet popped out in this other thread : what about a simplified and cheaper KPA player, wtihout the profiling features?

Personally I don't think I'll be able to build better profiles than the ones still available today, because of lack of spare time, and moreover of high quality equipment needed to achieve the best results.
    So I think that many people are like me, mainly end users of what's already available, and a cheaper, simpler version of KPA could also be a big competitor to the new models that sooner or later will come from other brands...

My doubt is that from the hardware point of view it wouldn't be that different from a regular KPA, since all functions are mainly software routines, so there wouldn't be actual building cost difference that could justify a lower street price...
    Anyway, I'm just curiuos about your opinions...

Of course "keep it simple" is the golden rule! :)

Forgive me if I'm oversimplifying, but what comes in mind to me looking at those devices is that it shouldn't be complicated (well.. for people working in that field) to adapt in some way an external device to route MIDI over bluetooth (point-to-point, no need of routers, simpler protocols..)
    Having that available, it could be used from the PC/librarian software, or from the proprietary foot controller in development, or from the upcoming FCB1010 new custom ROM, etc...

And that could be an architecture upgrade for a future KPA II built-in feature...

Making a parallel with PC evolution, in the last 10 years I almost never upgraded mine

As time passes, and technology evolves, it always has been better to buy a "new generation" machine instead.
    I just wondered (and was answered) for how long the current hardware configuration would support firmware upgrades without compromises

Also, after looking to the features requests thread, seems that many of them don't regard the "core business" of the KPA (that is amp emulation/profiling), but the "dressing" of user interface, effects, etc... that I think are great, but I'd be happy to sacrifice if necessary, to advantage e.g. a new core emulation algorithm... there are still plenty of multifx that can be used...

So I think I'll be happy with my unit still for long time, with this configuration :)