Posts by old crow

Took your advice and bought an 802 and it's the best $200. I've spent on gear for this project.
    I can't believe what an improvement it's made to my sound. The h.p. mix is amazing and even the JBL monitors are sounding good.
    The interface does it;s job at converting digital signals from the 'puter into analog. It does an excellant job at that , but don't expect it to be dynamic. If you want dynamics, buy a mixer.

I think you are on the right track w the RCA's but would prob. be real happy w a couple guitar cab's. An open back, for combos and a closed back for stacks. Then perhaps a neutral tube power amp to drive them.
    I just don't think a guitar can sound good thru monitors and the higher end ones will prob. sound worse due to extended range and detailed sound.
    Just my opinion.

I have the 802 and is really good! Never thought you could find so good preamps in that price range. Headphone is also good, and I have the 250 kohm DT 880 pro. Sounds better then plugged directly

Do you also run your interface thru the Mackie ? If so, have you tried running it or anything thru the tape r.c.a. inputs ? I'm just thinking if the interface works thru the tape inputs , it would free up mike / line inputs.
    I'm very pleased to hear your low imp. h.p.'s sound that good thru the Mackie.

I have the 2i2 set to direct out. That's not the problem. The problem is the headphone amp section in the 2i2 sucks.
    I've been looking at the Mackie VLZ 402 mixer and I like what I see.

I'm coming out of the Kemper main rca's w the 2i2 set to line and the gain just about at noon, so as not to clip.
    The 2i2 is known to have low out put to the h.p.'s but the sound isn't even in the ballpark compared to the Kemper h.p. outs.
    It's convenient to only have an interface but I'm thinking I may need to add a mixer...

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which sounds pretty decent to play audio files back from the computer thru my JBL LSR 4326P monitors.
    I also plug the Kemper into the 2i2 but the h.p. vol. is very weak and the tone is just not even close to the sound I get when I plug my AKG K240DF phones directly in the Kemper.
    Should I upgrade my interface or instead, get a small high quality analog mixer ?

Typically I'm not a fan of close miced on axis guitar sounds. They sound a bit too brash for my tastes and many profiles I've tried (stock, user, and commercial) have that sound going on. The quickest cure is to long press the Cabinet soft button and then crank up the Character parameter. I'm not entirely sure what Kemper is exactly modeling here, but to me it really sound like pulling a mic back and even maybe turning it a bit off axis. The high end smooths out and the cabinet resonance comes through sounding more like a full audio portrait of an amp "in the room"...so to speak. Next long press the reverb button and choose either small room or matchbox. Crank up the mix to 100% wet, but turn the time down close to zero, predelay to zero, and the dampening up fairly high. You can now use the bandwidth to "tune" the room you're in and level to control proximity to the amp. Presto, amp in the room in your headphones!

Thank you so much for this post Will. What a great way to improve and personally tune the h.p. sound.
    Do you also set the del. & rev'b balance to zero ?

I agree it'd be a nice feature.
    I hear ya mDan...I use a Focusrite interface and it's nice to jam along w youtube but the h,p, out on the Kemper is sooo much better sounding.

Howdy. You're gonna love this thing.
    I'm in Victoria and got one of the first ones in Canada, online at L. & M.
    The first thing to do is read the manual. It's on the Kemper website.
    Once you get it you'll be in la la land for quite awhile, trying all the different amps w your guitars.

I've owned dozens of vintage tube amps. Fender tweed, blackface, brown and white piggy back. Old Gibsons, Ampegs, Valco, all sold.
    I have one left, it's a Carr Mercury...hardly ever use it but will keep it or something for backup.

My studio monitors are not satisfactory and I'm using similar profiles to what you mentioned. I'm getting perfect sound using AKG
    K240 DF headphones, so I know I should be able to also get good sounds thru small speakers. I think the prob. w studio monitors is the tweeter, the extended range tends to make a guitar sound tinny, So I'm going to try what others here are doing and that is: use a small guitar amp with a aux. input or power amp input. Some members are raving about the cheap little Fender Frontman G15. It would prob. work pretty good for what you want.

If you wouldn't mind sharing a bit more info it would be helpful for others also making this decission now and in the future.
    What style you mostly play and which amp profiles you prefer with the Camper 212.

Guitarnet, I agree...so lets narrow it a wee bit.
    Forget headphones, that's easy to get a good sound.
    That leaves us with studio monitors vs. stage monitors.
    Say for example we're using only combo, open back amp profiles ( for now )
    ....Fender tweeds, Vox's, Valco's....vintage stuff.