Posts by Neonknight

Well it seems the GT-Pro has all the features you care most about. The Kemper does not meet any of the features you've listed you love about the GT-Pro: no USB audio, no computer editor, no custom/active range CC assignments, and only 8 effects at a time. There...I just saved you $2,000! :thumbup:

Yeah, ive actually been thinking that lately more and more, especially since i got the VST speaker sim plugin. I really like the idea of the KPA though and my ideal preamp would be something very close to the GT-pro, but with the preamp sim of the KPA. You can of course technically combine the two units, but i really dont want to scale up the size of my fairly small rig rather the opposite.

We will see what the future brings, looks like i will stay with my old trusted GT-pro for some time yet. I do get lots of compliments on the sound when playing live, but i do after all use a Mesa 20/20 tube power amp and mic the speaker in the traditional way.

Fair enough, the Kemper clearly isn't a solution for everyone. To be honest, its missing some effects which I use fairly regularly and I've had to supplement the device. Never played the GT-PRO, but I've owned both the Boss GT-10 and GT-100 and the Kemper is a huge, huge step up in the amp tone department from those units especially when running direct, it has nothing to do with tweaking. The Kemper doesn't run 12 effects (it is limited in signal chain flexibility as compared to the GT series as well), so it clearly doesn't meet your example, but I can control the state of 8 effects with a single button push of the FCB by making 2 rigs on the Kemper and switching between them. There are many ways to skin a cat...

Sure as you say, many ways to do things, but many things doesnt seem possible anyway.

The GT-pro is the rack version of the GT-8 with added connectivity like 2 separate stereo outputs, one with both XLR and TS connectors and USB audio IO with computer editor, its really a great unit, thats why i havent found anything that can replace it yet and have used it for 7 years. Many think the GT-8 sounded better than the GT-10, i dont know how the GT-100 is i havent tried it or any of the floor pedals since it hasnt been my thing really.

Wait...what exactly are you guys asking for? Most of what the OP is asking for is possible from almost any MIDI controller on the market, you just need to program it. Rather than worrying about shifting CCs to different effects, program your controller to send whatever messages you want. If your expression pedal is constantly going out of calibration, recalibrate it. So many people have issues simply mapping an FCB1010 to the Kemper, I can't imagine the threads if we had dynamic mapping. I don't mean to be rude, but if dynamic CC mapping is the deal breaker between a Boss GT and the Kemper then I'm betting the OP hasn't played a Kemper...

I have no problems in programming the FCB1010, ive had it for years and im using a freeware editor with graphical interface which is nice.

Unless im wrong since the FCB1010 can only send 2 CC# per pedal and if you want it to send a different CC# for the second press of the pedal for on/off then you can only turn one effect on/off per pedal on the KPA while you can turn on/off up to 12 different effects or change parameters on the GT-pro by just one press of a pedal on the FCB1010 since the GT-pro has 12 different assigns with about 500 different parameters that you can change. Active range can be used for many things, for switching off the wah by just setting the expressionpedal in the toe position, morphing between different sounds/effects. Midi assigns are very powerful.

Personally i still like my GT-pro very much, the problem with it is actually not the ampsims, its the speaker emulator that is poor, but for direct recording i have just recently bought a nice guitar speaker VST plugin, so for the moment im fine.

I have heard both good and crappy tones from both the Kemper and Boss units, i think it has alot to do who is doing the tweaking and with the KPA it is more like a real amp and therefore easier.

I do understand the intention to keep it simple for the user and its a very good intention, but it also may cripple the unit and make people like me not buy it, thats why i agree with the "advanced menu" idea or something like it, maybe with a "set to default" function for the cases where people has gotten lost in the settings.

I highly doubt that i wil be buying any unit that is lacking in advanced functionality, sure for recording it may be fine, just add effects in the DAW, but for live i want to have good midi control.

You can opt to use SPDIF in with the KPA, so using SPDIF in that instance will bypass the KPA's converters completely.

Ahh, so you are not connecting the guitar to the Kemper at all then, but instead connecting the guitar to your interface and from there to SPDIF in and out through SPDIF out back to the interface... i missed that the KPA has a SPDIF input unlike my Boss GT-pro which only has SPDIF out, but the GT-pro has USB audio in/out though.

Well honest misstake on my part, after all i dont own a KPA, might some day though if it ever meets my feature requests (which it doesnt yet).

In addition SPDIF allows you to use your own convertors for bringing the guitar into the Kemper int he first place which allows you to get a higher quality signal in

If you use SPDIF the guitars signal is A/D converted in the Kemper and not in your interface, if you on the other hand use the analog outs of the Kemper then it is converted by your interface BUT also A/D D/A converted by the Kemper (3 conversions in total) which is of course isnt preferable.

I definately do agree that the KPA should be possible to slave to the DAW. Personally i record in 44.1 , but i guess some prefer higher rates and to have options is generally a good thing.

Guitarmania: I believe you are talking about midi assigns ?

Since i dont own a KPA i cant say for sure if it has been implemented, but i have requested this earlier since it to me is an essential function, here is the thread http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…&threadID=6150&highlight=

Both my old Boss VF-1 from about 1999 and my Boss GT-pro (2005) has this function. I have the Behringer FCB1010 (actually two) which i have had many years and you can only have max 2 CC# per pedal and if you want to both switch on and off an effect for example you need to use one of them for switching on and the other for switching it off the second time the same pedal are being pressed.

On the GT-pro you have 12 different assigns that means that you can assign up to 12 different things to one single CC# for example if you should want to, you can also set the active range which means that you can for example have the wah pedal switch off when you put it in the toe position without needing a separate switch on the foot controller.

Focusrite support also recommended me running latency checker, and in the response they said to turn off all devices in device manager. Buggy drivers. LIfe is too short to have separate boot instances ;)

I of course cant speak for the drivers in question, but you are likely to have have problems with any audio interface if you have windows drivers and programs that behave badly which the latency checker shows.

Personally i rather feel that life is to short to constantly have problems with recording and getting clicks and pops recorded instead of it just working as i should using a separate boot option.

Its your choice of course...

I requested this (midi CC assigns) a while ago in this thread that i started http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…&threadID=6150&highlight=, i dont own a KPA (yet at least) but this to me is a essential function and may be a dealbreaker. Its a standard function on Boss/Roland guitar preamps/floorboards and has been for many years, i have it in my Boss GT-pro and Boss VF-1´s.

When speaking of editors for the FCB1010 i recommend this http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm that i have been using for years, it has a graphical interface and its free as well.

Popping is usually caused by drivers and programs that behave badly, here is a link to a program called DPC latency checker that can be used to indicate if there is a problem with drivers http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

For recording using monitoring through the computer which is dependent on not having drivers and antivirus programs and whatnot that causes problems i strongly recommend setting up a dual boot system on your computer with one boot option where you have no network connection (LAN or WLAN) or any other unnecessary connections, hardware and programs installed/running and also no anti-virus or firewall, also there is no need to make windows updates to this boot option since you have no network.

I have been using a separat boot option for years and to me it really is the only way, you can install your copy of windows to more than one boot option to run separate systems. I also recommend that you make a backup of that boot option as soon as you have your system in order with the DAW program installed etc.. so that you can restore it easily if you get problems further on.

I was thinking to buy a one stereo jack to two mono jack y cable, cut away the stereo jack and fix a mono jack to the place of the stereo

Thats what i would do, just connect both the wire that was connected to the ring and the wire that was connected to the tip on the stereo plug to the tip of the mono plug that you are replacing it with and of course the sleeve wire(shield) to sleeve and you should be good to go.

LOL yeah or take a bath with a hairdryer or even better in this case a "toaster" ;)

Having worked in electronics for 25 years being a tech i will likely get most other things you can "throw" at me as well ;)

Yeah, if I might add : You even could get a volume control pot at the Camplifier if the volume control(s) at the KPA are not sufficient for you.

Just remember "Camplifier 290 including volume control and Speakon-1/4" combi sockets" - and you are good to go......once you actually own the KPA.

Tilman

OK, thanks . Im not really in the market for a KPA yet at least, but im keeping up with the development and might get one in the future since the technology really seems like a breakthrough. If i get the current toaster style variant then i definately might get your amp, maybe there is a rack version KPA by then when i might have decided to get a KPA though. This amp solution seems great though since you dont want to carry a separate poweramp if you have this kind of toaster format amp.

If you want this connector type, you get it. Please take a look at post #56. :)

Thanks I know, i actually read the entire thread before i wrote that, it wasnt really the point of my post, it was to point out that it isnt as safe with the speakon connector as was indicated in an earlier post.

The Camplifier 290 is stereo 2x 90 watts at 4 ohms and mono (bridgeable) 180 watts at 8 ohms. Your vintage greenbacks are 8 ohms, right? So the Camplifier is not able to kill your spreaker, because at 8 ohms it´s 2x 50 watts.

My mistake, i misread the specs since all the other amps were 8 ohms, the greenbacks are actually 4x16 ohm speakers (4x12 cab) which makes 8 ohms per side (like you suggested)

Looks good !

I dont own a KPA but if i was and would get a power amp for it it would have to either have a volumecontrol like most poweramps do including my Mesa 20/20 (2x20 Watt tube) for example or be lower than 2x50 watts or it wont get near my vintage 70´s cab with greenbacks since it only takes 2x50 in stereo (modded to stereo by me).

I also conclude that the common speaker connector for guitar is the tele connector (TS) (like it or not) and it wont totally help to avoid plugging in the output of the poweramp to the KPA since the connector in the other end will still be tele since i have yet to see a guitarspeaker with a speakon input.

I think the Thomann price is lowest in Europe but I'm not sure.

Here in Sweden you can actually get it ever so slightly cheaper in local stores than at Thomann and not having to pay for shipping as well, you dont get the standard 3 year Thomann warranty though,i also actually trust Thomann more than any local Swedish store and have been buying pretty much all my music equipment from them since 2006. They are usually cheaper than Swedish stores, but not always by much.

I already have this effect in my 2 old Boss VF-1 units which was released circa 1999 and my Boss GT-pro that got in 2005 which is still my main preamp. Boss/Roland calls it the "Slicer" effect, the VF-1 has for example 20 preset patterns with different modulation, rythmic patterns and also volume swells.

I personally use a basic square pulse modulated slicer effect in one of our songs and therefore i would need this effect if i were to get a KPA sometime in the future, if there were a KPA in rackmount it wouldnt be an absolute must to me with all these built in effects although it is much prefered and sure is nice having all the built in effects, computer editor and great midi that the GT-pro has, thats why i really havent found any real replacement yet. To me there is really nothing wrong otherwise with the toaster format of the KPA, but it really seems geared towards using as a stand alone unit with its mechanical format which to me requires all effects needed built into the KPA.

BTW i use one of the VF-1 units as backup in my rig since it actually can do most of the things the GT-pro can but in a half rack format rather than the 2 unit GT-pro. I use the other one at home for recording.