Posts by djdyer

This question has been bugging me a little too. I was in serach of my ultimate amp and undeceided whether to buy a Cornford, Mesa MkV or Two Rock when I came across the Kemper. I bought the Kemper instead beacuse I felt I could effectively have all 3 for less than the price of one of them, and would have a more convenient home recording set up as well. This was based on the belief that the Kemper is good enough to make an exact copy. So yes well done CK for being the first to achieve this convincingly, but the important point is that I bought the Kemper because of the guitar tone and brand name value created by others. I bought it in the belief that it can create an exact 'copy' of an amp signal path, in the same way that the first tape recorders gave us the ability to make an acceptable copy an LP for the first time - which hit LP sale very hard. Having owned the Kemper for a few months now I still feel it is fully capturing the amps (I only use paid for And44 profiles) and in my mind I am playing the real amps rather than the Kemper. You can not hold back progress, so I guess the amp manufaturers need to get on board by selling official profiles of thier amps and pressing CK to introduce some form of copy protection to prevent them being passed around for free (which might work as they can only be played on a Kemper)

Are the stomp/effect types and settings saved within a rig file, independent of the stomp/effect presets on your KPA? I guess they are, but just want to check. The reason I ask is that I have loaded Maurozo's back up and he has changed the names of most of the stomps/effects presets. I bought an Amp Factory pack and some of those rigs have stomps and effecys added. So I was thinking how do these Amp Factory rigs link to stomp/effect presets that no longer exist on my KPA? I guess the answer is that the stomp/effects in the KPA are part of the operating system, not stand alone files like the rigs. Anyone able to give a full explanation?

Any pros on this forum have advice/opinions on this? I have done some test recordings without stereo effects (only mild reverb) using mono-left out, mono-right out, stereo left-right out and monitor out and frankly could not hear any difference between them. So for me I guess it does not matter very much which KPA output I use. In the absence of stereo effects which KPA output would you use and why?

I think I see the flaw in this myself. An impulse response only works well for a unit that makes a constant alteration to the signal. e.g. a cabinet or reverb unit. It would not be a good method for modelling an amp which alters its response according the level of the input signal. If you could model a complete rig with an IR then we would all have been doing that a long time ago and the Kemper would never have been invented!

It would be useful for reamping a dry guitar track to be able to save a KPA rig as an impulse response. When using 'save as' to save a rig there would be the additional option to save as an impulse response. A 'save all rigs as impulse responses' option would be even better. The impulse response files could then be transferred to a computer through the backup procedure and extracted from the KPA back up file using 7-zip. I would find it useful to have the option be able to reamp within the DAW using an impulse response VST plugin. I am assuming that the KPA rig is basically an impulse response for the whole rig, so adding the option to save as impulse response would not be that difficult. I am also assuming that using an impulse response for the complete rig would give the same quality as reamping through the Kemper. Of course I could be wrong on both counts.

I think the key to answering this question for ourselves is whether the latest white units also have the extra vents. Could someone who has just received a white unit please advise. If only the black units have the extra vents then my guess is that the vents have been added to avoid overheating if the unit is placed in direct sunlight. Seems unlikley, but I can't think of another explanation. If the new white units also have the vents then I am guessing that the manufacturer's own long term tests show it is a wise addition, perhaps linked to development and testing of the optional power amp. There does not appear to be an overheating problem with the early white units as there is no mention of it in this forum, so I don't think owners of those units have too much to worry about. Nevertheless, it would be better that the manufacturer gives a clear explanation of the reasons behind this change to avoid unnecessary speculation and possible demands for a recall from worried owners of the 'pre-vent' models.

Thanks for clarifying that Neonknight. Yes I mean the small square one (USB-B) that is normally used to connect a device to the USB-A port (flat rectanguler one) of a computer. Just wanting to confirm that this is fully wired up and ready to be ativiated in a future firmware update.

Hi. just got my Kemper today. I understand from the forum that there is currenlty no way to connect the Kemper to a laptop thorugh the USB connections for managing the profiles (or anything else), but wondered whether the USB-B port is there so this facility can be added in a future upgrade of the firmware. Anyone know the answer to this one?