Posts by steveness

Thanks Tritium for all the pointers. One thing I would say is that I don't use the cab sim on the kemper for the monitor out to my 4x12 (mesa cab) so changing cabinets would only affect the tone I'm sending out to the desk/PA.

Also worth noting that if you edit anything other than the monitor out EQ then you will be changing the tone of the main out to the PA or DAW depending on what you are routing to which might not be what you want to achieve (unless there is something I'm missing here ?).

My initial frustrations were exactly this, I would audition profiles using my Rokit 6's (I know this isn't ideal) then when I got to rehearsals and tried the same patch via my 4x12 the profile would sound pretty crappy when up against the real amps used by the other members of the band. Don't get me wrong, it still sounded good but it didn't sound like a dedicated valve amp and cab combo.

However in a live situation the main out sounded as per my Rokits, so sound out front was great, my monitor mix would sound great but my backline tone would be a bit naff.

It's finding that balance between a good rehearsal sound and a good direct to PA sound hence why I use 2 different profiles now.

My next step is to profile my own rig, afterall thats the tone I'm really happy with. I hope to profile the amp and cab separately so that when I use my Kemper with the same 4x12 with cabs off it "should" sound the same as using my JCM.. well thats the theory :)

EDIT - just reread your 1st post and realise you pretty much said the same thing anyway :)

I've had a similar experience as you with the Kemper, it sounds amazing via my DAW (Cubase, Steinberg UR824 and Rokit 6 monitors), however the same patches I use to record sound distant and mushy when I use a real 4x12 cab in rehearsals. I understand what you are saying when you say its hard to put into words but to me it sounds like the sound is coming from just behind the speaker rather than from the front (if that makes sense??)

I also had issues with nasty feedback when I upped the volume to the point where I was having to have 2 noise gates active.

I can improve it a lot using the monitor out EQ but it always lacked the punch of a real valve amp, however I persisted and kept trying different patches (including sinmix, mbrit etc) to try and find one which sounded good via a 4x12 and eventually found one in the STL "the great wall" pack which instantly sounded great via a real cab. I could palm mute without it feeding back, volume roll off worked as I expected etc... all the things I'd been struggling with when using my recording profiles.

The only problem I have is that I'm not so keen on the sound of this patch via my monitors which would be the tone that gets sent directly to the PA, it sounds a bit harsher than I would like.

I was hoping to try it out at the weekend to see what it sounded like via a PA but sadly my Kemper died and had to be sent back for repair so I had to revert to my trusty JCM800.

I will say that even though my recording patches don't sound so good via my 4x12 I have used them live in the past and they sounded brilliant onstage via the monitors and out front.. therefore it didn't really matter that the sound coming from my cab wasn't quite what I would have wanted.

for now I have a patch I use for rehearsal (the STL patch) and I'm using a sinmix 5150 for home practice, recording and live.

I'm in a similar position to you where I find the main out tone differs a lot to the monitor out tone via a 4x12 which is understandable as the profiled cab will be totally different to the cab I'm using.

One thing I do want to do is get in a studio to profile my JCM800 with my own cab as its been ages since I used it and it sounded mega.. just hope I can capture that tone and use it on my Kemper going forward.. I'm also hoping that if its done correctly it should sound the same via both outputs, after all thats what its designed to do :)

Good luck with your issue, I'm sure you will eventually get the sound you are after, I've had my powered Kemper for 16 Months and I'm sure I will keep searching for the one perfect profile :)

Update: rapid response from Kemper support :)

It looks like the power amp may be faulty and it has to go back for repair via my local dealer.

Cheers
    Steve

Thanks for checking, I figured this might be the case.

I guess I will be using the old faithful on Saturday! (JCM800) unless the Kemper support team and the postal services perform miracles and I can ship it, get it fixed and returned by Saturday.. Kemper support - fancy the challenge ? ;)

Cheers
    Steve

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure that my Power amp section has developed a fault, I've raised a support ticket but I thought I'd throw it out here just in case anyone else has come across this and its a simple fix (I have a gig on Saturday :( )

I upgraded to the latest OS earlier in the week and everything appeared to be fine until I went to use it via my cab, I was getting sound via the monitor out section but nothing via the speaker output.

So far I've done the following:

I've checked my Guitar, cables and cab using my valve head and everything was OK.
    I checked my volume settings and they are all fine
    Checked the power amp was on in the output section - odd thing here is when I disable and re-enable the power amp I hear 2 clicks, almost as if its tripping something inside the Kemper.
    I've performed a system reset (holding down the page buttons when powering up)
    Performed a sys init

and finally I rolled back the OS

I can't say for sure if the power amp stopped working since I upgraded the OS as the last time I used it was a week prior to upgrading, its electronic and things go wrong at anytime so I honestly don't think its related to that.

Any Ideas ?

Cheers
    Steve

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a strange issue with OS 4.0.1

Sometimes when I start my Kemper it loads up the last patch I used but with the cab switched off. I've checked and the patch has the cab on by default (I have the monitor cab disabled by default, but main out it should be on)

I have to hold down the cabinet button and select the right cab for the patch to resolve.

If I reboot the Kemper, the patch will load with the cab on as expected, however if I leave the Kemper off for a few hours then turn it on the cabinet is off again.

I've tried saving the patch with a different name with the cab turned on but it still randomly occurs.

Is this a known issue ? (I've searched the forums and not seen it reported)

Now I know to look out for it, its not a massive issue.

Cheers
    Steve

EDIT - When it boots with the Cabinet off the patch sounds harsh as you would expect without a Cab

Hi Viacroce

nothing was changed on that side of things, one min it was fine, changed to a different patch and I lost all output yet signal was being received OK as the tuner was working. Factory reset fixed it and it hasn't happened since, I've upgraded since this happened to V4.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi all,

I suffered my first Kemper glitch tonight and I'm not sure what caused it.

I have been using the Kemper in rehearsals and Live for about 11 months now, I've not changed anything at all and pretty much use the same 2 patches in rehearsal.

However tonight I changed from one patch to another and lost all output through the speaker cab, I'm not sure if anything was being outputted to the headphones or monitor outs channels as I didn't have anything to test with.

I rebooted the Kemper and it was still the same, however after doing a system reset everything came back.

Has anyone else had the same thing occur ?

edit: I manually changed patches using the frot panel rather than a pedal.

Cheers
    Steve

Just wanted to update this thread to say that the issue wasn't actually related to the firmware as such, I had to return the Kemper to the Factory where the fault was diagnosed as being a faulty flash memory which only showed itself when V3 came out. It's now safley back home and running the latest firmware with no issues so far (with fixed LED's as a bonus !).

I want to take this oppertunity to say a huge thanks to the Kemper Support team, Hans in partcular kept me updated all throughout the process and even replied to emails at the weekend. Superb support from the team all round... I can't praise them enough.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Arne

I uninstalled rig manager again using the add remove software function, then checked in c:\program files\ but there wasn't a kemper folder.

I then re-installed v1.2.3 and this time it worked !... odd, not sure what the problem was 1st time round..

Thanks for the response though.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi,

Actually I've just tried and I get the same issue.

even though I've removed the new version of Rig Manager and installed 1.2.3 its telling me I need to instal v3 firmware on my Kemper..

I presume the uninstall program doesn't clear out everything :(

I'm not sure if you are using a MAC or a PC, but for a PC you can remove RM 1.3.1 from the Add/remove software feature in Windows. Once removed you should be able to install the previous version of Rig Manager.

I've got to do the same later today as I've rolled back to the previous firmware too (V3.0.0 is causing me some bad issues at the moment)

Cheers
    Steve