Posts by Gizmo

Yup, sure. I checked and tried again, Distortion sense is zero...was +0.5
    Made no difference to o/p level....didn't really expect it to.
    Still said that it was a distorted amp...but less worried about that because the profile is ok.

I would say that the Princeton sounds about as loud as being set to 8 or 9 when it's being profiled and it's actually only set to 4.

Are you shure?
    Did you try?
    What position is your Distortion Sense?

Hi all.

Finally decided to profile some of my amps. Very impressed with how close the profile gets to the actually amp.

One thing is bothering me though, the profiling signal seems to beat the heck out of my amp.

For example, I've just profiled a old silverface Princeton Reverb with the volume set at 4. The volume level while profiling is WAY louder than playing a guitar though it, to the point that I'm seriously concerned that it could damage the small 10inch speaker if I try to profile at a higher amp volume setting.

Also, at 4, it should probably be a clean profile, whereas the KPA tells me a distorted profile has been captured.

So is it normal for the profiling signal to really whack the amp hard? There doesn't seem any way to bring this signal down.

Thanks from Ottawa Canada

I just picked up a FM 212 cheap.

So far I'm liking it a lot.
    Not as much variation between rigs as through a FRFR but a nice half way step for me to use at gigs.
    Can't decide if its better with cabs on or off yet...need to hear it in the mix.

I might just mod the top to create a nice shelf for the KPA...can't have it falling off now eh, especially with the amp tilted back.

My old UNO works fine with the Kemper. Volume works and I think Wah does but can't be sure 'cos I dont use it.

I'ld be curious about this also. I came from Eleven Rack to Kemper as well. I can get everything I need To work with older Uno chip, except still cant get WA and volume to work. It worke fine with the Eleven

>"Rig-Doctors"? "Kempists" like dentists - why not?

LOL

>You don't. You tweak for a performance scenario. Adjustments for the gig can be accomplished via Master EQ section and unless you're using reverb for specific effect, bypass it and lock it. The Kemper's master out EQ and the ability to lock down nearly every aspect allows for on the fly global customization the likes I've not experienced in a more affordable modeling unit and are a God-send for live players.

Exactly my point. So in some respects, if playing live and no control of the PA, we are better to refine our rigs for average gear because 9 times out of 10, thats what our FOH is anyway and its all about the sound for the audience.

Anyway, some good input from you guys thanks. I feel like I've vented my frustration a bit and ready to try again with a vengeance!

Big mistake! Two wrongs don't make a right! If you set up your sound on a bad monitor system then you just don't have a neutral reference. And then the flaws and mistakes of a bad FOH only add up to this! So you end up with two wrongs and nothing right.

OK, BUT....!

I would expect that rigs I have purchased, (and many of the free ones) are done well enough to sound at least decent through average gear. (which is what I am listening through).

How on earth is the performing musician expected to tweak a rig for every single PA system they will play through...I think not. Maybe a bit of eq'ing, but when I'm setting up for a gig, the last thing i want to be doing is tweaking.

So I'm not sure where the two wrongs are. I'm trying to refine my rigs through average pro level gear to be played through average pro level gear...why should that cause them to all sound the same? (to me)

Please don't think I'm down on the KPA , I'm definitely not... but I'm still not ready to go and spend another grand on something else quite yet!

Thanks guys, some pearls of wisdom there.

>And I believe I can't stress enough how much of a difference a good loudspeaker system may make.
    Yup, I got that one...but again, my point is that even with mid range stuff such as I have, I should be happy, because let's face it, that's what the audience will be hearing through the FOH.

>If you can borrow someones real amp and profile it,
    Yeah, maybe I SHOULD try and profile my own...I have a good selection of vintage Fender amps and some modern amps...might be a good test for my ears.

>When I had this issue the fix for me was turning down the treble and presence a lot.
    Good point....I'm doing that...maybe I need to do more.

>It may just be that you're fatigued with guitar and need a break and to play some other instruments, I get like that sometimes, there's only so much guitar you can take.
    At first I laughed when I read this but then I started to think...I've been playing for 40 years, currently play live with two bands...been breaking in a new drummer and sax player over the last month....maybe, just maybe, I am a bit guitarred-out and I can't really give it the attention it deserves....good call on this one.

>you will always be comparing with the best moments you had with the previous modeler and seeing it through rose tinted spectacles.
    Another good point. I've had the Rocktron Chameleon, a Pod, Axe 1, 11R. It would be nice to A/B ....but then I also still compare to the real tube amps that I play through most days. I think that's part of the problem. Maybe I should lock them in a cupboard for a while ;)

Anyway, as I have said, I really want to love this. I recognise the clarity and flexibility that the KPA has....maybe subconsciously I don't want to give up my tubes.
    I'm going to persevere!!

Ken

I have to say that I'm still disappointed. I've had the Kemper for about 2 months now...sold my 11r to get it.

I was initially overwhelmed at the number of rigs available so it has taken some time to really listen and tweak (just a little). I play blues, surf and rockabilly...no metal or really heavy stuff, mostly clean with light crunch.

Everything seems to sound the same with just different gain, fx and eq settings...that's what I go to bed thinking.

I'm listening through Samson Resolv monitors but I've tried it through JBL Eons as well. Admittedly not the best gear, but then how much should that really matter. If I'm trying to replace my tube amps for gigging, I can't always assume the FOH speakers are the best either and I don't want to lay out a fortune for a high end coaxial monitor until I'm happier than I am now.

I REALLY want to love this thing as much as I love my Access Virus, (I think CK is a brilliant designer) but so far I'm still waiting for that magic moment.

I've tweaked and tried commercial rigs (all of which sounded way better on the web sites than they do when I play them)...and I'm using pro level guitars.

I know I'll keep pushing and maybe I'll get there...maybe not. Maybe I'm just too wedded to tubes but for now the KPA still sits next to my computer and I still take two tube amps to gigs.

Maybe I need counseling ;)

There has been quite a few threads on this but I could get none of the suggested ways to work on my Mac. The Kemper always ended up with one initialised rig and nothing else.

Then I had a brainwave.

I had been using Stuffit to unpack the kpabackup file. That always worked fine and I could delete as many rigs as I wanted.

Then I used Gui Tar or Better zip to repack the folder (then deleting the .tar extension). This always SEEMED to work but even though the Kemper restored it, it ended up with just one rig and nothing else....until I realsed that I was repacking folders within a folder. So the resulting backup file had a folder in which all the backup folders were stored.

So instead of just dragging the top folder to a new backup file, I simply dragged all the contents.

This worked a treat!

Hope it saves someone else a bit of time!

Probably also applies to a PC

Ken