Posts by Gizmo

Is this new?

When I go to a thread in the "unread posts" list and go back to the list, the thread disappears.

At first I thought I was going mad, but then I realised what was happening.

Not exactly sure I like it, as sometimes I would go back to an unread thread, but can't do that now.

Agreed Gizmo, although it's not the avatars that're huge; they're not - many forums have much-larger ones.

It's that huge left pane. I'm betting it's one of the first things everybody noticed after the switch.

You said it much better than me Nicky. I tried to use much fewer words to exaggerate the effect HHAHA!

On my 30" monitor running 2048x1280, I only see two posts right now...quite a waste of real estate!

On the other hand, I like the new Unread Posts screen, many more posts before having to do a "next page".

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've had to do that yet with the new layout.

Hi @sixeight
    Tried sending you a PM but I guess you can't get them as a non-registered user.

This is what I use, (adopted from the Kemper MIDI manual) just in case you haven't seen it.

Send this to get the names from current performance:
    byte get_name_syx[] = {0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x33, 0x02, 0x7F, 0x47, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00, 0x01, 0xF7};

where:
    get_name_syx[12] = slot+1;

There are other (more complex) ways to get names that are used by approved developers. You may have some luck if you contact support directly with a brief description of the project you are implementing. Kemper support are a very helpful bunch of folks!

Hope that helps.

Set spdif as the master in your interface settings, then match the sample rates.

Just in case it's not clear, @sambrox means that the KPA should be the master, not the interface.
    I too have used mine into LPX through Focusrite and Presonus interfaces without pops and clicks if the setup is correct.
    And use a decent cable to connect the two.

If you want something that doesn’t require the Spring Reverb preview, Look for an old Ruppert rig named “Surf’s Up”. I think it may have been included in the Factory Content at some point. I’ve used it for several Surf instrumentals that i’ve licensed to music publishers.

What @paults says!
    This rig has been my go-to live surf rig for many years (with slight mods). Great energy and drive. (not for those "Beach Boys" tunes!)

I might be wrong but I think @Cederick was referring to the NUX Cerberus.

Are you sure about this, it has a toggle switch for each output to enable or disable Cab sim. this means you can have CAB sim on both. and in the manual i saw this which refers to the two toggles on the front of the pedal:
    "Independently toggle speaker cabinet simulation on/off for the differentoutputs of PREAMP LIVE"

Since i cannot recreate the problem with my audio interface using a straight coaxial S/PDIF connection i can only assume that it might be caused by the fact that you are using some sort of converter cable to go from S/PDIF to AES/EBU or that your RME interface produces a click as soon as it receives the external clock and switches to it. You could either turn on the devices in a specific order to avoid this or mute the channels in your DAW.

Just happened to me again.
    I go straight from my KPA to SPDIF on my Presonus interface.
    Large scary "spike" happened during startup when KPA switched from startup screen to tuner screen. Sounds like an initialized (empty) profile being played hard for about a second. I actually was watching the KPA screen as this happened.
    My speakers were turned up, and it scared the life out of my cat that was sitting on top of one.

Latest release, no converters

In order to leverage this functionality, you need to load Performances and Slots via control changes # 47-54 instead of bank select and program changes.

Never got this to work Burchard. All I ever get (and just checked it again) is a Performance preselection, then after selecting a slot via CC50-54 the KPA sends back nothing.
    Seems to me though, that it doesn't make much sense to have to do a program change in order to find out what program is currently selected.

As usual though, I know I'm correct much less than I'd like to be ;)

(That table is VERY unclear to me)

Here's an old post of mine from back in March that I think kinda describes what @absrec is looking to do.
    Most things you can get from the KPA via a SYSEX request, but not program number (which will give slot number and perf number)

I’m not at my KPA just now so can’t check what you are trying to do. However, I do know that until I recently go a Remote I was using an RJM Mastermind PBC and everything worked fine. Not only were LEDs working properly but Rig names etc were all showing on the Mastermind screen using two way midi

BTW, you can also

allowing me (us) to light up some proper indicators.

I was short of I/O on my Nano so I just use 3 LEDS to keep track of the 5 slot positions as I select the slot on my board. It's worked just fine for me for a couple of years.
    Just 3 LEDS in a row and I light them like this.... I made 1 and 3 RED and 2 GREEN to help show clearly.

1=Slot 1
    1+2 = Slot 2
    2 = Slot 3
    2+3 = Slot 4
    3 = Slot 5

Here goes, (bear in mind that I discovered these by lots of searches and experimentation, not from any official Kemper docs.

The first one establishes connection with the KPA. It displays a string on the screen and says "connected". You can edit that string to say what you want.

The second results in a huge list of sysex messages from the KPA. Most of them I couldn't figure out.

The third sends a subset, i.e. just an update. It also sends the currently selected program number at the beginning.

You have to send this request at least about every 5 seconds or so, otherwise the KPA loses connection and you have to start again. The KPA pits a message on the screen saying it is disconnected.

Good luck!!!

byte ConnectToKPA[] = {
    0xF0,0x00,0x20,0x33,0x02,0x7F,0x03,0x00,0x7F,0x7F,0x47,0x69,0x7A,0x6D,0x6F,0x27,0x73,
    0x20,0x50,0x65,0x64,0x61,0x6C,0x62,0x6F,0x61,0x72,0x64,0x20,0x00,0xF7};//Connect to and display name on KPA

byte RequestAll[] = {
    0xF0,0x00,0x20,0x33,0x02,0x7F,0x7E,0x00,0x40,0x01,0x37,0x04,0xF7};//Request all data then update

byte RequestUpdate[] = {
    0xF0,0x00,0x20,0x33,0x02,0x7F,0x7E,0x00,0x40,0x01,0x2e,0x04,0xF7};//Request an update only

I searched for a simple method to get slot or program number from the KPA. Asked here a couple of times too.
    I came to the conclusion that it was not possible to do it simply.
    The only way I found was to continually poll the KPA with a request that sends pretty much everything. It returns way more than you will need and you have to do it continually to keep the KPA connected.
    Too much overhead and I decided that I can live without it.

If you are really interested in digging in that deeply I can post the commends.

A harp player friend of mine came up to jam with us at a gig on Saturday.

He pointed to my Toaster and said...

"Oh, you have one of those. My band just cut an album at a Toronto Studio with Nick Blagona, and he had one that we used. Sounded GREAT"

Nick Blagona engineered albums for Chicago, Rainbow, The BeeGees, The Police, Deep Purple and many other big names.

If it's good enough for Nick, it's sure good enough for me!

… and I forgot … in an emergency situation its's much easier to recover your complete setup from a USB stick compared to moving Rigs and Performances around via Rig Manager on a PC or MAC.

Yes, good reminder.
    My USB stick is velcroed into the space on my Toaster for when I do my FULL backups.
    It's always there for those "emergencies" which fortunately I have never had in 6 years.