Posts by CUBE

ever heard of Keith Merrow? :D

Yeah, Don, I did. Not sure if I'm getting the point of your question: Undoubtable the KPA is the King in profiling - of course also in profiling the Axe FX - like KM did for instance. But for example try to build up a metal sound from the ground, take those Liquifire/Crunchlabs PUs and shoot it thru the AXE and thru the KPA: You won't beat the Axe in that trial - but of course you can profile the result perfectly with the KPA.
    :D

Or play a heavy lead guitar to a couple of Mesas on the Axe with four 4x12 cabinets - you won't tell me really the KPA is still at the same level?
    I'm doing studio work since nearly 30 years now and played quite a bunch of preamps (ADA, TC, H&K, Zoom, Vox, Marshall, KPA, Axe ...) with nearly every type of pick up (except Gretsch).
    Therefore I found my rule of thumb:
    Clean/Crunch: >>> KPA
    Distortion/Heavy: >>> Axe
    Jazzies >>> try both and take the best
    ... and your recordings will be fine! :thumbup:

As an Axe FX user I learned to love the service of Fractal Audio and supporting users to build a list of compatible hardware for the host engine. For the KPA it would also be nice to have an overview of MIDI-Floorboards, Expression-Pedals, any kind of remote stuff etc. working excellent with the profiler.
    Actually that isn't urgent in the moment but when the performance mode is established it would be nice to have something like such list or tab, for instance with linkable user experiences for the listed hardware.
    Thanx in advance.

Imo the KPA is the perfect machine for single-coils in clean and crunch mode. I play most Fender N3, DiMarzio Areas, Fender P90, Bill Lawrence ScN, Parker Stinger and Squier V Alnicos with the KPA.
    For humbuckers in every mode from clean-jazzy to roughest metal I prefer the Axe FX - for me this machine is unbeaten when using humbuckers - but same is the KPA for single-coil (and stacked sc pu's).

... I had very bad results with upping the gain knob on the KPA (muddy), did you achieve crunch sounds with the gain or with a pedal or booster ? ...

My Fender P90s got a hot outpot and as I plugged the Tele with the P90 in for the previous test I forgot to change the input preset (I made specific input presets for every guitar I got) so I've got an (accidential) crunch made exclusively by (input) gain. :whistling:
    I don't use the KPA-internal distortion pedals often, the more I use the standard boost of the KPA to drive the amp. Sometimes I plug a Blackstar HT-Dual Valve Distortion (Channel 1, slightly set to US-sounding) between guitar and KPA (only for humbuckers). 8)
    I totally agree with you that turning up the KPA gain leeds to desaster, it's way better to decrease gain from a heavy sound to reach excellent crunch or light distortion. 8o

Hi, waraba,
    I just had my basses run through your Dakota.
    For the 4-string (Ibanez), single-coil & humbucker: It's a warm round and defined sound over the whole scale of tones, very common in presence and tone overall the fretboard. It's fun to play that solid standard sound, but I miss a little bit a specific identity. It's (wonderful) neutral.
    For the 5-string (active pickups and preamp): The same as above but it seems to me that unfortunatly the Dakota cannot handle the very low frequencies of the B-String in proper way, tuning down one whole step or more increases the problems, there's only a giant low bubble.
    But anyway - I like this amp alot and it will find it's place in the top row of my KPA for one of my nicest jazz-guitar amps.
    Again thanks a lot - and care for yourself when touching the Dakota, these e-shocks might be dangerous!
    :thumbup:

Hi, waraba,
    I tested your profile just on severals guitars and pickups and I vote the following:
    Attila Zoller Pickups (Jazz Humbuckers): unbelievable fat bass, had to lower it by eq, overall it sounds ok
    Fender N3 Noiseless (stacked humbuckers): really great sound for jazzin' around, I immediately had to jingle a while :thumbup:
    Fender P90 Pickups: the HELL - that is really an unbelievable great and wonderful jazz sound :thumbup: :thumbup: - no matter if clean or crunched, I'll give this combination this night to record!!!!
    With the P90 it jumped into my Top-3 jazz sounds on the KPA with the potential for a true No. 1.
    Many thanx for this "ancient" treasure ...
    Will come up later again when I checked my 4- and 5-string bass "dakotaring" ... 8o

Thanks for your work, but imo the Zoom G3 ist a digital nightmare for a true guitar sound (bought it and sent it back after two days).
    There so much fine real stuff in the rig exchange ...

The login settings of kemper-amps.com and the forum seem to be very special: First I login at the support side of kemper-amps.com. That doesn't mean, that I'm able to download rigs at the rig exchange. ?(
    OK - I login at the rig exchange again and can start downloading. Now I change to the forum site where I'm told that I'm currently not loggged in. ?( ?(
    OK - I login again and be welcomed. I browse through the topics and like to post in a thread - but there's no reply-button, cause I'm currently not logged in. ?( ?( ?(
    OK - I login again and start to post. :!:
    After posting I log out - single click - immediate success! :thumbup:

imo improvement is definitly possible ... (running currently Firefox 18.0.2, problem exists since registering at kemper-amps.com app. 6 month ago).

Thanx in advance for optimizing.

After returning from the sort criteria "Last imported" to "All rigs" in the browser the next rig to show is on right arrow/up arrow the last in my whole collection and on left arrow/down arrow the first. ?(
    I wish I could browse from the last rig shown in the display. imo it doesn't make sense to jump from "Fender Twin" to "65 Amps" when pressing the left arrow one time after changing the sorting criteria for instance. :wacko:
    An optimization would be nice - but this is surely not urgent.