Posts by jamesnorth

Parallel path is a good idea thanks guys ... I saw that it was a new feature ...

But it was happening with every single rig. Is that feature a rig or global feature?

michaelmellner yes I did - forgot to mention that. That's generally fixed stuff before!

Hi Guys,

At the studio today I ran 2.3.2 beta and I had a few issues.

What was happening, is that I'd say 95% of the sound coming from the main XLR outs was a "clean amp" sound, and 5% was the "rig" was that I was loading.

Scrolling through the rigs pretty much did nothing, but in the distance I could hear the amp and its effects bleeding through.

I restarted the unit a number of times - turned the power off etc. ...

When I checked the outputs, if I made the main output "Master Mono" or "Master Stereo" it sounded like this. If the output was set to "Master Mod" the amp sound worked correctly ... but of course not the FX.

I downgraded to the 2.2.1 release and it's back to being fine again ... then upgraded to 2.3.2 and it went back to being bad!

So I'm on 2.2.1 - not sure if anyone else has had this issue.

The tone in that performance (and others I've seen recently) from the Metallica boys has been a bit poor.

Probably a combination of the gear they're using and perhaps the fact that they might be losing it a bit? Who knows...

My comments about the audio industry and Macs were more about OS X as an OS for audio use, not about Apple's hardware (and their lack of regular releases).

Windows has made great improvements over the last few years and it's pretty much caught up, I think. It's just that most studios are still mostly on OS X.

For my setup, Cubase with a couple of RME cards, UAD cards, and the plugins I use, OS X is measurably more stable. I know this because I haven't owned a Mac Pro for a while, but I've run OS X on PCs for about 3-4 years now. Out of interest, I compared to WinXP/Vista/Win7 - it would lock up every few days, hang a lot more often and not clear its RAM cache like OS X does. I couldn't deal with it, as it interrupts my workflow with clients too regularly.

I've absolutely no doubt that in many other applications, Windows (and particularly other *NIX systems) smokes OS X.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm certain that most people who own a Kemper use it on Windows because outside of the studio world, Windows is still about 80% in use.

This is why as a studio owner, I'm a bit disappointed that the OS X version will be later than the PC one (and I don't understand why that happens), but I'm very much looking forward to putting it into use.

That's right, I thought his touch remote setup and some of his instruments are run on Windows.

Macs aren't better, that's a crazy discussion, but for busy facilities there is a reliability that has traditionally come from OS X that makes it very commonly used (like Hans and his setup). It's basically just more practical, but often less flexible and more expensive.

Install OS X on your PC to compare over a few weeks if you're open to checking it out. ;)

We're in the minority on the whole, as I'm sure most Kemper users are PC users, but I'm looking forward to its release!

I don't have any numbers or stats, but when it comes to "good studio owners/producers", I can tell you that one of the most successful and famous of this kind is pretty much Windows only. You've heard of Hans Zimmer?

Might wanna check this out:

https://www.apple.com/30-years/1994/

Including the quote "I wouldn't be a composer without the Mac". In addition the walkthrough of his studio on YT features Lion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…L5224B36D3B528287&index=1

He's mainly a composer, so I'm sure he has a PC or two in his network that run a few Virtual Instruments ... but he's always used Cubase on a Mac pretty much.

I've never seen a great producer's studio relying on Windows as their main machine. I'm sure there are some that have Windows boxes, but OS X is definitely still the dominant OS for audio recording in the real world. When I first started out I used Windows because it was cheaper ... but it soon becomes apparent that the uptime/stability just isn't the same.

That said, I'm sure developing random software on PC is much easier because Apple aren't very nice.

Looking forward to the Mac release, but until then, I'll use Virtualbox or something.

I would've thought any digital amp (profiler/modeller) would have some kind of latency between the change of files. I guess it's kind of like opening multiple images in Photoshop or something - the computer has to load the image into the RAM before it can display it.

I'm not sure why you would just assume that a Fractal box will have zero latency when switching patches. Even if it is a little faster, it doesn't sound like that's going to sate you.

Three options:

1) Get better at your switching/footwork so that the gap has minimal musical/performance impact.
    2) See if your assumption is true and try a Fractal, it might be slightly faster. You just won't have the Kemper's sound/features anymore.
    3) Line up 10 amps and 10 pedals on the stage and use analog switching, but half of them will probably give you the same grief.

No solution involving switching rigs is instantaneous. As others have mentioned many real amps react in a similar way.

I'd suggest option 1.

The OP is talking about not liking the tone he is generating with the delay in front of the amp's distortion. This is the solution.

The messy/weird tone mentioned is used a bit, but isn't as common.

Generally the correct way to do delay/reverb is in the loop effects circuit of your amp, not just in line with the FX pedals you're using.

For example, if you pushed your guitar amp into drive mode and had a delay pedal before it ... that would sound pretty messy.

I'm guessing you've only ever use a pedal for distortion and never the amp?

Lokasenna is correct - throw it into the X spot.