Posts by jamesnorth

I think the discussion is missing one point guys. Most of the sound coming from a guitar and amp comes from the player. As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, if you have different amps responding differently to you, you will play differently.

The playing in this DI comes from the way Alan played with his own amp providing the sound feedback to his ears.

There are stark differences in all clean sounds of the Kemper, but some of the amps need to be pushed by the player more or less (just like in real life). Perhaps with a unit in hand, Alan would feel and hear the difference between all of the profiles that Martin kindly re-amped.

I would definitely buy the Kemper purely based on its replication of clean sounds ... my livelihood depends on it!

I heard one of the best reasons against this in a UAD video:
    A user said if he'd have visual feedback of what he was doing by ear, he might get concerned about applying cuts and boosts that were too extreme, instead of just trusting his ears.

I think I saw the same video.

Trust your ears, seriously. Don't doubt yourself and just go for it! If it sounds good, it is good :)

The Mission's build quality is much higher if you're just after a wah.

The toe switch and second cable on the Mission is not needed if you choose to turn the wah off at toe or heel points, or when stopped. All options available in the Kemper wah.

I have a real wah pedal - Dunlop KH95. I was wondering if there is any advantage of an expression pedal such as the mission engineering expression pedal thats designed for the Kemper over a standard wah pedal? I know you can use the xpression pedal for volume and pitch shifting but I am just wondering if there is any advantage in regards to just the wah functions :?:

Thanks

You can have multiple wah sounds with certain curves/reaction sounds (so effectively a whole bunch of wahs in the same pedal).

There's no tone-sucking as there is in a lot of wahs.

You can tailor how the wah turns on/off (heel/toe/stop).

I can get the Kemper wah to be indistinguishable from my Crybaby and Ibanez wahs.

Yeah I don't think a PC version of the entire Kemper is particularly appropriate ... but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a VST instrument or plugin to control the unit could be released for owners.

I probably need 2-5 amps per project generally and I'd probably do about 100-150 projects per year, so the existing MIDI solution isn't ideal. It would also be useful for live acts who utilise a DAW live as a playback device.

Otherwise, it's just about making notes of settings like outboard hardware.

Anyway, a guy can dream!

You should be able to recall complete rigs for projects. You would just need to send the appropriate patch change number via midi, rather than USB. Just set it up in your DAW, there's a video somewhere on these forums that shows you exactly how to do this.

So I have to manually assign a specific midi number to recall an exact rig? This would mean I'd also have to snapshot that rig? It would also mean I'd run out of patch numbers ... ?

I guess what I'm talking about is being able to have settings stored in a VST plugin/instrument and being able to then bring those settings up on the Kemper. So I would be able to edit things like gain/eq/stomps within a VST interface.

(Much like how plugins work with presets stored as temporary files on the computer).

On every single project, the amp sound(s) I choose are completely different based on the player and their guitar - this would be consistent across all studios, so it should be useful pretty universally.

A VST Instrument or Plugin would be a really fantastic tool for studio users.

I'm not sure if it's been suggested, but it would be fantastic to be able to control the Kemper's settings over LAN or USB and be able to recall amps/rigs/stomps for different projects without making notes.

I would pay $$$.

Just record in analog.

Unless you have converters from 3000 BC, they're going to be fine for the task.

Generally recording at 44.1 is the best option - no sample rate conversion for later in the process. I still work at 48 because it was the highest rate you could get with ADAT (which I still use). I just haven't changed across yet, but at some point I will move to 44.1 and draw a line in the sand with old projects.

I generally will still record the Kemper analog though because I sometimes use a hardware compressor (LA2A/1176) to track with ... and the result is still excellent.