Posts by jamesnorth

A stupid question: what is the problem going analog? If you would mic a real amp would be the same, and the combined latency of KPA and interface is still extremely low (prolly lower than working with 512 as somebody suggested). Agree that it would a plus to have 48kHz, but saying that it otherwise makes it "impossible" to work on the serious stuff is a bit overstated, IMHO.....

Yeah you're right latency is no issue in a studio environment at all - for me it's a few other things ...

• I'm using all 32 analog ins and outs of my interface (pres/outboard/summing etc), but it has an additional SPDIF in/out that I can use. If the Kemper used SPDIF as a slave, I wouldn't have to patch things in and test levels before re-amping or recording. If I could dedicate the SPDIF to this purpose, I could save a fair bit of time.

• In addition, the extra conversion being done slightly changes the sound. If it's SPDIF, it's just digital only. It sounds clearer and the stereo picture is nicer with the native SPDIF connection. It is clearly audible on decent monitors.

Micing an amp does only one A/D conversion to an interface, whereas the Kemper is doing D/A/D if you use its analog output to your interface, and that's the difference between those two. It certainly doesn't make a difference between a great album and a crap album so it's absolutely not a critical issue, but it has a SPDIF output available and it'd be the cleanest and fastest way to work if it was able to be set to slave. :thumbup:

I hope it happens in the near future, because it would mean much less hassle pulling a great sound when re-amping or recording guitar in a busy studio.

The irony for me is that at home I have a Steinberg UR28M interface and nothing clocked to it, so it happily runs along at 44.1 and it sounds great :P

Check to see if your interface has a sample rate adjustment. My apollo has this and all the artifacts are gone.
    Still a native solution would be best ofcourse, but in the meantime maybe your interface can handle the adjustment?

This is idea totally cool for an environment that is not a professional studio locked at a different rate. My studio is at 48khz because of various converters and units that connect to a master clock and unfortunately due the the Kemper being 44.1 only, it can only be used in the analog domain. :(

Typically Macs do go for 48khz, so double check your interface is at 44.1khz. Unfortunately, at the moment, this is the only sample rate that the Kemper runs at.

The sounds you're describing correlate perfectly with a slightly out of sync connection.

I mean Gibson? I'd never have consider them before, but YES SIR

That Gibson Bass Amp sound is amazing on a Strat/Tele ... I guess it's like using a Fender Bassman - if it sounds good, who cares what the plate on the cabinet says :)

well that and the fact that I'm a great fan of rear cab micing, especially with a 121, always behind, never upfront...

Yes, it definitely has the rear cab mic blended sound - it's great. Always much easier to remove bottom end if you don't need it ... than add it if it lacks.

Neve desks are lovely, but realistically they're only going to be owned by educational institutions in the years to come. Large format console ownership is a very slippery slope :)

The way the Kemper works is interesting ... I've actually wondered what would happen if you threw in some other outboard gear. I've considered trying an 1176 in the chain and seeing if it affected how a profile played or reacted dynamically...

To this discussion, I would also probably add that apart from all guitars being different, the person playing the samples is going to make an equally large difference.

In the studio, we say that to change a sound the first thing you do is change the player, then the instrument, then the mic etc etc.

While The Amp Factory's profile might have a Strat playing through a clean amp and it sounds a certain way, your Strat and your playing will almost certainly sound different.

For my playing, I do tweak almost all the profiles from The Amp Factory (and other ones I've downloaded from the Rig Exchange) a little bit. :thumbup:

Thanks James, you are dead on.
    Boutique or not to boutique is not the question, we just want damn fine profiles
    :)
    Neil

Very true! A great player will sound great through this amp :)

There is no such thing as a bad amp.
    its either to your taste or not.

As long as its got inny/outy puts and a speaker to mic!. it can be profiled! :)

I was truly blown away having never done the profiling process myself ... it was actually enjoyable to tag the rig too :) I imagine you have a pretty streamlined process for that, Andy!

Hi Guys,

Not really a boutique or much sort after amp, but a good workhorse for clean players. It's a crisp sounding amp and chimes nicely with a Tele or Strat.

I've done 3 profiles - one totally clean, one with a bit of crunch, and one with more. In my studio, these profiles truly are indistinguishable from the sound of the real amp as I tweaked them a little.

It was done with an SM57 and an API mic pre, rather than the one on the back of the Kemper.

Just search for "Deville" in the Rig Exchange - it seems to be the only one marked as that there.

Hope someone finds a use for them!

The vicious marketing campaign that convinced me to buy a Kemper was my ears ... so I'm offended. My ears are precious, not vicious...

This guy is being pretty offensive to his potential market, by suggesting that A/B forum comparisons correlate with sales.

Vicious, man.

rule no #1 - Never care.. your the one creating the music. its the others that have to deal with it!.
    rule n0 #2 - The more performance you add, the better it will be.
    rule no #3 - The more interest you are in the music and what you do, others will share that with you, this is how you get "intermite" fans.

I say, squeel, squelch, make noises, huff, blow, whistle do what ya gotta do, but as long as you can play (and you can well) - thats the most important thing. - just go with the flow and enjoy it my friend! - FWIW you dont look bad at all. - but I always prefer more "performance" - nothing puts me off in a guitar player than straight emotion.

I totally agree!

I'm not concerned about how I look at all, but when you edit video of yourself doing it, it certainly gives you a new perspective ;)

I do all of my playing these days facing a desk full of rack gear so my audience is a bunch of knobs! :D

Sorry, not buying that story, James. :D

It's the Kemper & the guitar/pickups that made the tone sound so close to Angus...however, the playing was excellent, spot on, superb.

Well if a lesser player the riff with the same guitar and profile, it wouldn't sound as close ;)

I've got an original 66 SG in my studio and you can definitely miss the mark!

Thanks Jean-Jacques!

It's one of those things that I have never really been conscious of .... it's obviously just part of how I play. I'm a big fan of Prince and his playing, and he's a pretty expressive little dude. :)