Posts by HamerJo

Hello Pinhead and welcome to the crew,

For starters, it's hard not to be buried under lots of rigs which offer different sounds, ideas and original recordings in mind when made. The factory rigs had been my major playground for two years before I tried commercial rigs (mostly taf, some soundside). Later on it was M. Britt and M. Wagener who I welcomed for their way of sond shaping.

Since you probably will have more than one guitar my advice after looking back is: Take one guitar, one rig and be bold with the kpa controls. As Ingolf hinted: This kind of quality time will very much help you to decide if the kpa will stay. By the way: If you've got some good backing tracks, as I'm sure you will, try to blend them in. Your guitar will instantly sound better being in it's natural habitat. There's quite a lot of rigs that seem to be dull or not convincing when played on their own.

That should keep you busy for some time. Mind you: Your ears will hear differently at different times. Always give it a second and a third try before you discard a rig. Next thing: Take it to rehearsal and enjoy the sound, the convenience, the flexibility and the open mouths of your band mates.

Tot ziens

Joachim

Interesting read that is guys.

I do own the Trio+ since it was released. The Bassplayer (e.g. R&B!!!) is mostly fantastic, sometimes it's over the top for sure. Good that you have a bass reduce button. And good that there is a looper built in so that you may record the more complex chords that shall not be played according to the manual. Helps a lot. On top of it there is a SD card ready to record you latest 12 ideas. So, when planning for a holiday, pack your tele, put in your Trio+ add headphones or a small 5W tube amp and you're ready to go. You might even reduce the holiday expenses by playin in a club with your axe, the 5w amp and a bit of unplugged singing. Doesn't sound too bad, really.
    After 12 songs you just change the card and then ... .
    Did I mention that there is also a button for the extra liveliness of parts?
    Tried that last summer holidays (well the surplus money wasn't substantial. But you guessed that already, didn't you.)and came back with some nice ideas for the band. I'm not much of a jazz player, but surely it's fun to do it with Trio+.
    I also tried to first make a track on TRIO+ and then better it wit EZ Drummer. Works really cool.
    Only thing that nags me is the unpredictability of what Trio+ will make of my original input strumming. More than once I had a hard time to reproduce the track I found by accident. Very much depends on how quick you play.
    Over all: Very good device.
    It's some money, but it's worth it. In some respects it even can hold a candle to BOSS DR880 my favorite solution when the drummer did oversleep.

Joachim

Thank you Mr. Britt for

(a) the really useable VOX rigs. I bought them yesterday and I can't keep my tele away from them. Good job!
    (b) the considerate remarks you gave to teamjims question. Frankly, not many a rigs seller take the time and the knowledge to reply in depth. I certainly do agree with your point of view. I might add, though that comfort and "easy going" always is a good argument for the Kemper. More than once in live situations I wondered, where the subtelties of my sound, if any, might have vanished in all the sounds around.

Joachim

Hi,
    I experienced the same thing and got rid of it by
    -turning down the compressor a bit (for a start disable it completely); don't forget the compressor you'll see after dialing in the amp section parameters
    - play around with amp parameters esp. cabinet volume (if you've not updated to the latest software that is) they wisely disabled this control). I always forget and always looked there last.
    - turning down the input volume
    - turn off all boosters
    - look at the strings of the guitar: too close to the pus?
    - calibrating both input sense and distortion sense to zero (always a good thing). Especially if your's is a high output axe.
    - lower the local volume
    - look wether the output (led) is overloading

In my opinion the plops are caused by massive digital distortion as a consequence of too much signal power. Some rigs are really bad in this respect and I could not cure it for them. Contact the vendor if possible. The factory rigs - often underrated - should be safe in that respect.
    If you use some signal output changing device in front of the KPA turn it off for a while.
    I am quite sure you will get rid of it - if needs be increase the output volume of the amp. This can be done by using an eq in the power amp section with all parameters zeroed but the volume. Increase it up to 5 dBs. That should help your ears, that otherwise will be missing the treble in your sound.

Hope it'll help
    Greetings
    Joachim

Welcome to the lot and thank you for sharing the profile.

Even though my pic shows my first real guitar it is the second guitar (Am. Strat. 1970s) that gets more attention nowadays.
    If you are interested in profiles of a Peavey Delta Blues with 15" speaker: Before I sold the combo I made some profiles - not that I am good at it - and put them on RE.

Joachim

Well,
    thank you guys.

I really did enjoy the different ways of looking at and listening to the Kemper. The Anderton's video that started it all was made some time ago and yes, it was very instructive and showed me that I made the right decision buying the Kemper.

As for Mr. Chapman I learned that he indeed was able to tell wether it was the Kemper or the tube amp in question. Most people I know cannot do this kind of thing myself included.

I remember that a certain Mr. Chapman did quite an extensive video [ youtube.com/watch?v=wYbul0RlwhQ ] on the subject of AtomicAmps and CLR. Therein he talks with the man behind the modeler. At 4:15 he makes some rather astonishing (given what he said at Anderton's Music on the subject) remarks about the KPA. Obviously he had a rapid change of mind and I was not sure what to believe. Well maybe he just had a bad day.

What did I learn above all things in this area? I trust my own ears and to a certain extent that of my band mates.

Anyway: Me myself and I were not convinced. The KPA is an entirely different animal.

Greetings

Joachim

I got a blonde solid (4 body parts glued together) classic vibe 50 Telecaster.
    Absolutely love it,
    sounds like a Tele (both pus are really good-sounding), feels like a Tele, does not weigh around the neck like a Tele, snores like a Tele when cranked up a bit (No sweat, KPA sees to that). Best of all: It plays like a good crafted Tele. Wether it is up to an original 19XX Tele.? Who knows, I haven't got the money for. There are some very interesting YouTube videos though.

Greetings

Joachim

PS As for disappearing postings: One hit on the wrong key (happens when typing, doesn't it) and all vanishes for good in thin air. Expierenced it more than once. Don't like that behaviour.

Hi,
    glad you brought this up!
    We already talked about this rather unpleasant kind of iniative, though. For me it's the first slot (clean) it copied to the fourth slot in performance 12 which should be rather gainy and most definitely not clean. It did happen as well with other performances. Moreover: It does change not only the name but also the content of the slot.
    Did happen last tuesday when gigging with the Kemper. This "feature" has been there for quite some time. In terms of programming it seems to be caused by a misdirected pointer operation. Well that's where I would look.

Greetings
    Joachim

PS Switching up and down performances wise did help sometimes. But not always.

Tag zusammen,
    so ganz verstehe ich die Diskussion vermutlich nicht. Wenn ich also zu redundant werde, bitte ich um Nachsicht. Ich halte mich nach wie vor an die alte (vielleicht überholte?) Empfehlung das Volume-Poti auf 0dB stehen zu lassen. Beim Morphing erhält das Ausgangsrig per "default eq" (keine Frequenzanpassungen) das EQ-Volume 0dB zugeordnet. Das gemorphte Folgerig enthält an dieser Stelle entweder 3 dB oder - 3dB je nachdem, ob es lauter oder leiser sein soll. Ein einfacher Fußschalterdruck blendet jetzt in der von mir vorher festgelegten Zeit von 0dB auf 3 dB oder auf -3dB über. Geringer Aufwand, einfachste Handhabung, geringe Kosten. Wenn ich das Remote Pedal dabei habe, dann geht das natürlich auch. Das Volumepoti ist dann ja immer noch da und kann ad hoc bedient werden. Solange die Änderung nicht gespeichert wird, und warum sollte sie, bleiben alle Morphing Einstellungen wie sie sind. Dass man alles in das Morphing einbeziehen kann, heißt ja nicht, dass man es muss.
    Des besseren Verständnisses wegen: Ich nutze für alle Formen von Musik machen mit dem Kemper grundsätzlich "Performances".

Gruß
    Joachim

Usually I don't carry the Kemper Remote to the bread and butter rehearsals. I use a BOSS FS-5U footswitch instead to turn morphing on/off in performance mode. That is what I use most times after all. Now strange things happen. Morphing turns on all by itself which is quite inconvenient in the middle of a song. Even if I turn it off as fast as I can manage ... here it comes again. After I while of staring it down and uttering dreadful curses against this wretched footswitch I give in and behave as in pre morphing time.

The footswitch has a polarity switch wich has to be on the right hand side if looked from above. Otherwise it will only turn on.

Anybody out there who has had the same trouble? Or knows what's the matter?

Thank you for reading the request