Posts by barefly

Hi Mark, yes it was fun, with Kemper you have 90% of the sound of a valve combo. But it is a lot easier to bring along . i was almost as fast with building up as the Singers :) . maybe the dxr10 sounds a bit more tight in the bass, and you can use a cab with powerhead or external amp, but i dont have experience with those .

Today first non-rehearsel live gig with dxr12 and mbritt's profiles. i put HP filter on on 100 Hz tot get rid of unwanted low frequenties. I always before played on combo's. With the mbritt profiles the highs and midpunch is very good, but the bass is not so very thight as on a combo. but i guess that is because a celestion V30 simply moves air in a different way than the Yamaha 12 inch (together with the tweeter) does.

Ingolf, Michael, thanx for your feedback about my music ! I highly appreciate you took time to listen to it, and as very qualified musicians comment on it !
    Everday i'm still amazed at how good and inspiring the sounds in the Kemper are. We have come from far since the line6 stuff and the Boss stuff . And i think the community and the Kemper team are great in continiously improving it even further.
    Sorry for being a bit off topic :)

Agree with Guenter, I guess it's taste and time. I remember a year ago nothing could beat the profiles of Andy and Armin. We all like to constantly work on our sound tot improve it. When i listen back tot older songs which i have recorded with Andy/Armin profiles I don't hear that much difference with the newer songs which i made with mbritt's profiles.
    Could it be the Kemper has a kind of sound on its own? Songs on http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtKOpu0kdGLftjKo9To76zw wheels on my heels and nog sorry when tour gone made with mbritt, rest with Andy/Armin. I don't know which profiles exactly, i just dial something in.
    But live I prefer mbritt on my dxr12, matter of taste :)

One night to go trough pack two, they are all very nice. Dumble, diezel and Marshall superlead are great additions to pack 1. And customer service is great from Michael: did something wrong with downloading, wrote an email and within ten minutes Michael replied and helped me out. Thanx for the great work !

I use Yamaha dxr12, but yesterday i was in a rehearsel room with only an old novation keyboard amplifier and your profiles sounded still good. I guess you have found the recipe for profiling a sweet sounding top end for live use. Agree with Paults, don't change the ingredients :)

A while I didn't use the kemper live, I tried to play with it through a dxr 12 but I couldn't get the sound close to my guitar combo's (65 lil' elvis and the valve combo) whatever I tried. Maybe I'm not too good in tweaking as others do get great results I've read on the forum. With the new firmware and these profiles I must say the bottom end and the high end are much more like the real thing and much more pleasant to the ear. Off course a FRFR never can't mimick exactly the radiation and frequency spectrum of a good wooden combo with 12' speaker, but a kemper and dxr12 is more conveniant to bring along instead of two combo's and a bunch of pedals.
    So thanks for the great profiles, I think the top end in your profiles is great for live performance. I hope with the new profiles you keep your focus on the live-playing! For recording your profiles can also be great, but so are the profiles of Armin, Andy and Frans Plaza which I use when recording.

For playing amp-in-the-room with the profiler, make a direct profile and play through a guitar speaker!

That is imo exactly right. It is practically impossible to mimic the experience of the sound of a good amp speaker/cabinet coming to you by a FRFR. The way a guitar cab produces and radiates it sound is just different from a FRFR because these devices are designed differently.
    I think the sound of a good cab (with good speaker of course) can be very pleasing. With comparing my own cab's (65 amp lil elvis combo and 65 amp empire head and 2x12 cab) versus various profiles sent through a FRFR yamaha dxr 12 ) the cabs always sounded more pleasent to me. But maybe I'mjust old fashioned and somewhat prejudiced.
    I regulary go to see bands in smaller venues where there is no need to sent the guitar amp through a PA and at such occasions I often really can enjoy the sound of the guitarist directly from the amp, much more often than when i hear a miked sound trough the PA. When it is possible I also try to play not through the PA myself.
    But when you do have to play trough the PA I guess there is almost no better solution than the Kemper: hassle free and always the same high-quality sound.
    Also for recording it's the best piece of equipment you can buy I guess.

I just wonder how mr Kemper achieved to nail the tube sound so unbelievably well within a digital device. Additive synthesis with the original guitarsound ?, ...just blindly guessing and actually being totaly ignorant on the matter ?( :)

Why try to simulate a 4 speaker cab through a single speaker CLR?

Why not find a cab that sounds great with an amp profile that you like (without the cab simulation)?

In a coverband it can be great to get for example a clean fender champ for a funk-song and to change directly to a mesa 4x12 for a next hard-rocksong. In my experience this is in practice still hard to achieve really good. It's difficult to really blend in all these different amp/cab-profiles with a band-sound, as well as trough the p.a. as (predominantely) on stage. But with a lot of time and effort this can be done I guess.
    But what you can't achieve with a FRFR is the 'sound-experience' what you get from a good cab. A FRFR sounds great: hifi, open, nice dynamics. But a cabinet sounds organic: it's not only the speaker that makes the sound but the whole cab. You can capture the sound of the amp/cab extremely well, but you can't capture the experience of the cab. The feel of the amp is also captured very good.

I changed back from FRFR to cab. My drawbacks now: a) i've got only one cab sound for all my sounds, b) i can't play really soft. But on the plus side a) easy dialing in of sounds and fine tuning during performance, and of course b) a better sound-experience for me (and my bandmates are also pleased). Using the kemper live is still great with a cab: if you use a good cab profile (which matches the one you use) you still have and outstanding signal for the p.a., without the need of miking your cab.

If you are not in a coverband I guess the drawbacks are less severe, I would definatily go for a cab.

For studio use Kemper is definitely the best, no other way to get so good results with so little effort. In my live-bands it is more difficult. I play in two coverbands with pop and rock songs, and one band with stoner-rock music. I only use the kemper for the coverbands, and a tube amp for the stoner band (65 amp lil elvis, cause i only need one good sound). I bought a yamaha dxr12 for monitoring, but it is not so easy to get a good sound. It's obvious the sounds you dial in at rehearsel at home don't translate to a band environment. especially in a rather loud on-stage band it is difficult to get a good sound. I played a couple of times with a band with electronic drums and it was way better because dynamics and sound overall is more 'hifi'. With an acoustic drum and loud bass player i was just dialing and dialing on the kemper + dxr12. Now i changed back to my old orange 2x12 cab and it's way better and much easier to get a good sound. The highs are much more pleasent and that in your face sound is back again. I use an american audio elx 4000 (a lot cheaper then the matrix): way enough power and very tight. Feels like my old koch powertone with damping set at zero.
    I guess i am too used to the sound of the orange :) Changing from a fender twin to a marshall stack live seems great but in practice is very hard to dial in.
    I profiled my own orange cab and placed this cab on all the amp-profiles i use so the audience hear the same as i do trough the p.a.

thanks !! :D
    I used a fender jaguar johnny marr (one rhytm guitar and the solo guitar) and a gibson les paul standard (other rhytm guitar and the third guitar in the chorus).
    The profiles are from andy44: supro on the solo, the rhythm guitars on one side evil robot and the other one friedman crancked (this last one with the gibson and is most distorted).
    The profile in the ridiculous 'country-part' I can't remember, something i dialed in from the presets i believe ?( .
    The bass is trilian from spectrasonic (vst instrument) and the drum smaples from a drumloop cd from joey kramer.
    thanks for you comments ! :thumbup: