Posts by rickbarda

I'd like to anounce my services as a music instructor for those of you who'd be interested in a far more in-depth music program ... no offense meant to those of you into shredding and speed - but for those who may be interested in a more fully rounded lifetime career in music, I offer a complete music course in composition, arrangement, and performance in all styles of popular music from 1890 - present, in all settings from solo guitar or piano up to and including full symphony orchestra ... my backgound consists of Berklee, MI, and Grove School of Music, as well as private study with Joe Pass, Pat Martino, and others ... if anyone's interested, you can reach me at [email protected] .... thx guys ...

No, I think it's really about tone (EQ) - I'd like to sound, in general, as 'fat' as possible, without sacrificing the projection (balanced volume with clarity) of the top strings - at the same time I don't want those 'honky' (550Hz) overtones - and also, those notes around 5th fret, 2nd string need to sound relatively natural (not nasally or like rubber bands) - I'd like the midrange notes to be warm yet not muddied so the inner moving voices are clear - and finally, I'd like the bass notes to be tight (clarity as opposed woofiness), yet warm and full ...

Let's take a vote - am I asking for too much, lol?

:)
    thx

I'm still chasing that elusive 'jazz tone' and would very much appreciate any and all help in this area - I play a D'angelico nys2 or nyl2 both with Kent Armstrong Johnnie Smith pickups - this is the sound I'm looking for:

1) has all 6 strings relatively equal in volume

2) has a very warm round tone, yet with clarity so that inner moving voices aren't muddy

3) has a sound as close to a tube amp as is possible

I've been quite successful achieving any 2 out of 3, lol ... a good starting point for me was using one of the KPA's tube preamp profiles - from there, one would think it would fairly simple be to get what I want, yet so far, I've been unsuccessful ... I'd VERY interested in communicating with other players trying to achieve the same tone and would welcome maybe trading some profiles ... thx in advance to all ...

-Rick

the higher the Q value, the narrower the filter.

for exsample (filter width in octaves = Q value):

0,5 octave = Q 2,871

1 octave = Q 1,414

2 octaves = Q 0,667

4 octaves = Q 0,267

should this be "2 octaves = 0.707 ... 4 octaves = 0.354 ...", etc?

could I request definitive values for 1/6 8ve, 1/4 8ve, 1/3 8ve, 1/2 8ve, etc ?

thx ...

OK ... even if it's not for you, I still think that it'd be a quite welcome addition for most of us who play live ... btw, sorry for the CAPS post - I just wanted to be sure to emphasize the parts of my post to be the most pertinent ... my apologies if your ears are bleedin' :)

1) Yes, my rehearsal studio should be properly configured with baffles etc (you guys aren't married are ya, :) ?), but others in my family might not be in total agreement

2) I never get to rehearse at the venues I play beforehand, and even if I could, the room EQ changes significantly when people start to fill it

3) I don't have a monitor mixer (I play solo jazz chord melody style), and I AM critcal about my tone (dropped $2K on a KPA, didn't I?), so I don't neccesarily trust the FOH dude's ears for what I do ...

4) I'm not compensating for poor speakers/amp - I'm using 2 Clarus II power amps and 2 Raezer's Edge 12" Ext Range cabs and I'm quite happy with the setup

I think it'd be great use this feature to get the KPA 'centered' at home, create my profile, then go to the club, place the sensor mic accordingly, and 'center' the KPA for the audience ... I'd at least be reasonably assured that they were hearing it the way that I wanted them to hear it ....

I agree with all so far - the KPA is perfectly consistent indeed - and Fletcher Munson is also one of the issues that I refer to ... but again, my big issues (other than the F-M curve) are room sizes, shapes, and capacities ... One may not have the opportunity before-hand to adjust EQ before the show PLUS IF I HAVE MIC PLACED AT AN OPTIMAL SPOT IN THE CLUB, I can get a great EQ from WHERE MY EARS NEED TO BE, as opposed to me trying to adjust it from the stage ... I think having the KPA being able to do this would be great! and probably would't be that difficult (?) for CK to implement with the current hardware ....

I'd agree totally regarding recording - but for performance in my apartment, my studio, in a packed (or half-packed) club, at a friend's house, etc, it might be nice to have a semblance of consistency ... this could avoid having one spend a fair amount of time creating a nice profile at home, then being unpleasantly surprised during a performance to discover that's it's not-so-hot onstage ...

Wouldn't it be great if we could have the KPA generate some white/pink noise (or whatever is needed) through the output section, and then have it use a mic and part of the profiling circuitry to determine and generate a fairly flat EQ for the KPA output, not matter what speakers used or what room shape/size that you're playing in? ...

thx Paults

If they were in parallel (THEN mixed together), I could do anything - but they'd be in series, so all voices in the 1st instance would be affected in the second one - I don't need 729 voices lol, just 4 or 5 separately configurable ones! ...

Ideally, I would LOVE to see another 2 voices in the harmonizer (as well as User Scales 3 +4) ... this would allow 3-part, 4- part, and 5-part, as well as 3-part + 4-part with pedal tone (modal stuff) ... right now, as wonderful as the harmonizer is, I can only do 3-part (or 2-part with pedal tone) ... I could rule the world with another 2 voices, lol! ...

I hope CK hears this - it'd be a quantum leap forward if this could be implemented! ...

I'd very much like to have a more extensive discussion with someone very knowledgeable about EQ (also preferably familiar with a 'standard' jazz tone), than forum messaging permits - if anyone's interested, I'd be so appreciative! ... I've owned this unit since the beginning of November and there's so much about it that I really really like - if I could just get my tone dialed in, all would be perfect, lol ...

I'm also interested in hearing from any KPA owners in the Los Angeles area ...

... thx ...

I have an AT2020 mic needing phantom power - I'm using a line 6 toneport UX2 to provide that phantom power. When I attempted to create my 1st profile, I found that the Return Input (or Alternative input) seemed to be not functioning correctly for me - although the analog output (line level signal) of the UX2 is properly adjusted (no clipping, distortion, etc) and sounds great when going directly to the input of my power amp + speakers, when I connect it to the Return Input (or Alternative Input) of my KPA, a sound like a 60 cycle hum noise is generated - none of the original signal content is there at all - just a continuous 60Hz type sound - I've adjusted levels of the reference amp (of the 60Hz sound, lol) to the KPA - no help; I've set the ground loop switches as sugested- no help (I've also switched out the cables too - no help) ... any ideas as to what i might be doing wrong? ... thx ....

PS: I'm using software ver 1.6.0

Update: Strangely enough, the problem seems to have solved itself (?) - I rebooted, then plugged in an alternative audio source (it seemed to work) into the KPA Return Input - then replaced the alternative audio source with the UX2 output into the KPA Return Input and all seems to be well - .... hmmm, strange, weird, and bizarre, lol ....

Thx Guitarnet70 - that's not the prob, though ("All Rigs" was selected) ... I named many of them starting with "..CRB" - and I think the problem might lie somewhere with them try to pass through the Windows OS during the restore process(?) - those double periods might not have been the optimum choice, lol ... In any case, I'm not that concerned about it at this point, and unless this thread may be helpful to someone else, I'm not going to worry about this particular issue any more ...

thx Guitarnet70

delinquent: thx for the info - I'll check out mats nermaks profiles

djazz: thx to you too - I'll be checking out the tills cabs today

GuitarDroid: That sound is a little too bright for me (BTW, very nice playin'!) - but, as you start to roll off the tone knob on the guitar, that starts to get closer to the sound that I'd like (but the prob is that then the top strings start to get weaker volume-wise, and the guitar sounds unbalanced) ... I'd also like for the midrange to be full and warm (maybe a 320Hz or so bump?), as opposed to 'quacky' (less 1.2K or so) ...
    I'm still interested in hearing from any/everybody who has any ideas - thx ....