Posts by bigb6611

Question to everyone who has successfully installed the 1.6.0 FW : how long did the whole process take?

I am currently upgrading my KPA and after going through the many steps (including what appears to be one or two reboots), it has been stucked at the splash screen for the last 10-15 mins at least... I have somewhere around 600 rigs installed at the moment.

Smelling not so good?

hey!!

Yesterday I finally updated to lastest version and everything seemed to be ok. The gift studio issue seems to be solved. :)))))

ivan91, this is good news. Have you tested with multiple presets? I noticed this issue not happening on all presets.

As nakedzen suggested, turning the clean sense all the way down helps for some presets, but in my case does not always solve it.

Regards

Elantric, thanks for your input. As you mention it, AD/DSP/DA involves dealing with latency sooner or later. I know about latency compensation. But my observations with the KPA, besides the obvious latency induced by the AD conversion, are:

• direct out vs spdif out (git) infers different latency values while recording a dry track
    • re-amping either from spdif input or analog input also infer different latency values

I still haven't tested/experienced the randomness r_u_sirius is referring to, but he has apparently confirmed it with Kemper support.

m. Kemper: if you peek this thread, please take into consideration r_u_sirius' idea of some switch to allow turning on/off this random latency. This would be great! :thumbup:

Cheers guys!

I haven't installed the update yet, but I am very interested in this issue, as I also noticed clipping through spdif (git/stack), specially on the git side of things!

Has anyone noticed any changes regarding this?

Cheers 8)

Elantric, thanks for your response!

I am actually quite familiar with the re-amping process. What striked me though while trying to figure out the best re-amping workflow using the KPA was the latency/offset difference between tapping a clean signal from spdif vs direct out.

As I am sure the Eleven Rack is also an awesome piece of gear, to me the KPA should be a tool on its own as far as re-amping goes. I mean, using it with any decent audio interface should do it, right? The Saffire Pro 24 DSP is working great for me so far.

As r_u_sirius mentioned it, it appears the KPA is inducing some dynamic latency... this might be the source of the observed offset.

It would be cool to have M. Kemper's input on this one! 8)

Thanks again!

Elantric, please forgive me if this seems like a stupid question (hence, I am a pro, but not that much pro!), but how would the use of the Eleven Rack be a solution to the latency issue? ?(

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in, appreciate the info!

r_u_sirius: The "latency switch" you are referring to for reamping/live is a great idea! For me this is a must, as I will have many use cases where I'll be using the Kemper for reamping. I may not be stacking tracks at the moment (dual/quad tracking only), but I'm sure I'm sure a day will come where stacking will needed. BTW, you are using spdif for reamping, right?

Anyone having an opinion/idea/experience on this subject is welcome to chime in!

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Hello KPA users!

On my quest to achieving the best re-amping recipe, I ran into some phasing situations. I would like to share some thoughts and also ask for your opinions.

Here is my setup:

KPA -> SPDIF (Left/Git Studio) -> Audio interface -> Reaper (this records a dry track)
    KPA -> SPDIF (Right/Stack) -> Audio interface -> Reaper (this records a stack track)
    KPA -> Direct out -> Audio interface (instrument input) -> Reaper (this also records a dry track)

So far, so good. Now when I look closer, both dry tracks (spdif and inst. input) are offset by some ~80 samples (the spdif one being late compared to the direct out one).

And then when actually re-amping, using either of the dry tracks, the newly recorded track will typically have an offset of some 475-500 samples compared to the dry track.

I am assuming these offsets are caused by the A/D conversion and the KPA's processing delay, and there is probably some latency induced by my audio interface as well.

Sure I can always use some kind of click recording and realign the tracks when done re-amping. Still, I am surprised by there numbers.

Are all you KPA re-ampers observing pretty much the same behaviour?

BTW, I am currently trying out a Focusrite Saffire 24 DFP Pro which I am using to perform these tests.

All the best

Awesome, this fix will be of interest for me!

Thanks ivan91 for pointing this out and thanks M. Kemper for the awesome product!

Cheers guys!

I just spent a few hours trying to figure out what is going on.

First, I realized after starting this thread that not all presets behave the same way. With some presets, the dry spdif signal is correct (strong signal with no clipping in daw) while some other preset will just clip almost at every note played. I checked the input signal in the KPA. For the presets that are too hot, lowering the clean sense to 0.0 will help, but still the clipping will occur on some heavy palm mutes.

One other thing I noticed is that it seems to be a setting saved in the Amplifier part of the preset. I turned off all stomps, effects, EQ and cabinet, leaving only the Amplifier on and the clipping is still there. On the other hand, turning on everything but the Amplifier resolves the clipping.

My goal is to setup the recipe for dual track recording: rig + DI tracks, so this way I'll have the option to reamp later on.

tenderboy: it really clips on the interface's (spdif) input. I checked the KPA's input to make sure I don't get the red led on the input. For this I need to lower the clean sense as mentioned above.

Thanks for your input guys.

Edit: I have not yet figured out how to lower the input gain on a given track in Reaper, besides setting a plugin to limit the gain, which is not the ideal solution.

Hello people!

I have searched for an answer to this, but not sure I'm getting this right. I have my KPA's spdif output set to Git/Stack. The signal I am getting on the left in Reaper (as per the manual, the pure instrument) is way too hot and clips my DAW's input.

My interface does not have a level trim on the spdif input, so do I have to add a software volume reduction on the channel in the DAW?

Am I missing an ingredient here? As I understand it, there is no way to adjust the spdif output of the KPA, correct?

Cheers!

Hello all,

Can anyone shed some light on this one :

For audio interfaces which only have optical spdif (RME Babyface among others), I understand that a coaxial/optical converter would be needed in order use the Kemper's spdif IO.

But does the use of such a device impact on the clocking? I mean since the Kemper has to be the master clock, would the Babyface still "slave" ok, even though using such a converter device?

All the best,

- ben