Posts by bigb6611

Hi Ben!

Hey is that profile with the Fredman micing a merged profile? I've been looking for a Cab with V30's miced using the Fredman technique for a while.

Thanks!

Hi @ikertursi,

Unfortunately, I did not make merged profiles for that specific profiling session... I was only experimenting with the technique to see what I could come up with. Besides, the cab used for the given profile is a Marshall with G12T-75 Celestion speakers... I do not have V30s at the moment! :(

Ben

@gibson5413,

Wow, some killer tones there! Very well focused mid range, just the right amount of low/high end.

I went ahead and subscribed to the STL mailing list and got their free EVH 5150III pack - 5 profiles. The raw tones (turn off all FX, reset EQ) are very good, even though very mid pronounced... but this something I usually like. Great tones there also!

So Chad, would you say the Kris Crummett pack is at least on par with the free EVH pack? Or better?

Thanks for pointing these out - I feel these may very well fit my taste... and end my profile quest?

@ashtweth: don't you feel Chad deserves some colds ones as well? :D

Cheers guys,

Ben

IF you like how it sounds in your ENGL 2 x 12, you might want to try to make an impulse of that. If you don't know how to make an impulse response and since your interested in the Cab only, you can use the Kemper to get the cabinet by making two profiles, DI profile and a Studio profile of the same exact setting, then you combine them to get a merged profile. that will include the ENGL 2 x 12 and now you can use your own cabinet with any other profile.

If you're going to use the Kemper to get the Cabinet, you might as well make several mic position. An SM57 at the speaker CAP edge almost touching the grill, will give good results but you can try other positions and see what works best for you.

This is interesting. Are you suggesting making a studio profile with the KPA using the DA profile and the ENGL cab?

So in short, find the right DA profile that sounds killer through your cab, make studio profiles of this setup to capture the cab and then make merged profiles out of all this.

This could be great for live use, right?

Or maybe I got this all wrong... 8|:whistling:

@musicmad, I did try the DI profiles with a cab and indeed, I am getting major artefacts when cranking the presence - it does sound like you said: some kind of loose connection on the audio path.

I went ahead and tried the same with a bunch of DI profiles (RE and well known vendors), and I can reproduce this with quite a few profiles actually. :(

Hey guys!!

Is there a Solo profile as well? I can only see the MG and HG profiles (in both Studio and DI versions).

As @Michael_dk mentioned, I did upload a "solo" profile, but it is from a different profiling session, which I just revisited... and for the sake of me, I cannot figure why I uploaded the profiles from that session with the EQ volume on 4.5!! Go figure... sorry about that. :(

The latest batch is really the LG/HG versions.

Thanks for adding the DI profiles. Is it just me or do they "break" if you crank the presence? Anything above 3 and it sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere in the signal path?

This may very well be true... tbh, I haven't tried pushing the presence that far. Out of curiosity, are you using the DIs with a guitar cab?

Also, as an update: I was trying to profile the amp again, this time using two SM57 (sometimes referred to as the Fredman technique). As expected, this gets rid of some of the hiss/fizzyness, but I did lose a bit of low end.

I just uploaded a new low gain version to the RE, suffixed Fredman. I you guys ever have a minute to give this a try, let me know what you think.

Cheers :thumbup:

Ben

Except the "TH - Mars CM800 1987" which is a exclusive profile of a 1 channel 4 inputs Plexi Marshall (JCM800 1987)
    This amp has only 1 sound..the EQ did basically almost nothing

I just quickly went through the pack - this particular profile is probably my favorite!! Very well focused in the mid/high range, not boomy, just enough low end. Great job on this one.

I like many of the ones profiled with the 1960AV cabinet, especially this one 800, the JVM and the SL100.

Thanks to you and the Kemper team!! :thumbup:

EDIT : for some reason, it seems the cabs on these profiles cannot be merged. I can save them, but when applying one on a given DA profile, I do not get the "Merge" option as I normally do with other cab. I am doing something wrong here?

@Dean_R :

Wow, I sure wasn't expecting this kind of comment - thanks, I am really glad you like the profiles!

I find the last bunch I uploaded (MG/HG variations) are the ones I like best, at the moment at least. The previous ones sound a little dull to me, but in the end this is really a matter of personal taste.

The only thing I did different this time was to take the time and move the microphone (single SM57) and find the right spot on the right speaker, all the while recording a little riff for each. This is a Marshall 4x12, so I did this for each speaker and chose the tone I liked best. The tones I generally like are usually mid focused, so this is what I target when I give a shot at profiling. One thing I realized, and it took a while, is that the amp settings I would use for a live situation are not guaranteed to be the best for profiling. Oh well, trial and error I guess... :/

The guitar used for profiling was indeed a Les Paul with a Suhr DSH in the bridge position! :)

I will happily do some more profiles of the JCM800 and try the what has been suggested here so for, and I will be more than happy to share with the community here. One thing I would also like to do, time permitting, is to demo the profiles in a mix context - to me this is a good test.

Thanks again,

Ben

@suseguitar, thanks for trying out the profiles and for the kind comments!

@dpeters95, @Dean_R, suggestions noted!

BTW, those Michael Schenker settings must be LOUD!! =O

I don't have too much time on my hands, but hopefully I can do some more profiles this week - I shall report back!

Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Ben

Guys, thanks for comments really!!

The Crunch (as well as the Push and Solo) is from an older profiling session. Those (Crunch/Solo) are profiles with a Boss BD-2 in the front of the amp.

The profiles I made this weekend are the ones with the HG/LG suffixes. I am only experimenting with making my own profiles. This time I tried to achieve a real mix cutting tone.

This specific amp does not have a lot of gain on tap. It really needs a pedal in front to get a decent amount of gain.

@john2910, I still have access to the amp, so I could try to do some more. :)

Do you guys have any ideas/suggestions for profiling? Mic position, amps settings, etc?

Cheers

Ben

DA = DI? Yes please :)

Yes, DI profiles... sorry for the confusion! :)

Corresponding DI profiles uploaded to the RE!

BTW, the profiles may be on the bright side. I was trying to get profiles which would really cut through a rock mix. I don't know if it's too much, but I guess this can easily be tamed with some EQing. Also, the higher gain profile has a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal baked in to kick the front of the amp.

Thanks for checking them out. Enjoy! 8)

Ben

Edit: in case anyone is interested, I included the original values for definition and gain parameters, as well as the amp settings used for profiling in the rig tags... this may be useful if you want to revert to the raw profile.

Hey guys, been having fun profiling this 1985 Marshall JCM800 I have handy at the moment. I have uploaded a couple of profiles on the RE. I did make DA profiles also... if anyone cares for those, I could also upload them as well. The profiles are medium-high gain, aimed towards hard/heavy rock. Hope they are useful to someone! :)

Cheers,

Ben

Hey @MetalMauce, thanks for sharing this!

I just downloaded it and gave it a try with a few cabs from Sinmix, Tonehammer and from Till's cablab. Sounds pretty good to me! I am no metalhead, more of a hard rock player... still, getting great tones by turning the gain down just a tad. I'll see if I can hook up a real cab to give this a try also.

Are you planning on doing only high gain, or cover some lower gain territory as well?

Thanks again,

- ben

Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in here... sorry, a little late, was on vacation! 8)

Finn's clip on the OP are great!

I too had the chance to test drive Tim's 6160 profiles. Great, versatile profiles! There is some very unique stuff in there. The profiles with the Celestion Blue speaker are quite interesting and different from what you would expect from this amp. I recorded a short clip (see the ballad clip posted by Tim earlier in this thread). Guitars used were a Tele with CS 51 Nocaster pickups and a LP with a Suhr DSH+ pickup in the bridge. Profiles were used as is on the recording - just rev/delay added at mixing time, no EQing nor tweaking of the profiles.

Thanks for the great work on these Tim.

ben

What do you guys think of this tone:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sounds good here! Can we test drive this one too? :D