Posts by paults

+1
    If this was added as a new feature, the contents of the Folder could be automatically updated each time RM is launched.

A similar suggestion: An automatically updated "My Rigs" folder would be useful, too.

A more open-ended version of the idea:
    Instead of creating the above dedicated folders, there could be User definable auto updated folders. When a Search is done, offer the option of saving the Search results as a new Folder - the new Folder would update the search results when Rig Manager is launched.

Thanks for the Rig compliment!

If that is a clean sound for you, your pickups are not hotter than average - so, no need to calibrate the input. (With my pickups, this profile has some gain). Adding a little Tube Screamer can give you more gain, and that midrange hump that is a TS. Pure Boost works well to give more sensitivity and gain without changing the tone. The Rat (do they call it a Mouse?) is also a good way to add a little more distortion to a Jubilee, if you set it to not add too much brightness along with the grind.

One other thought: Hammering down on the high E string *is* thin and sharp with a Les Paul, if you really spank it. Using gainier rigs can give you that kind of attack, with less pick pressure. Try hitting the string not quite that hard. Enough to get the bark and bite, but not quite enough for it to rattle.

Eriks Legacy rigs are a great basis for that kind of sound. Another Rig Exchange profile that can be used for liquid, singing gain is ACM-JSX C3 MEMO5. I think I pulled the gain back quite a bit, and may have tamed the high end, but you may not need to do that as much as I did.

When I first got my Kemper, I would hear examples of profiles I liked, download them, and then be disappointed because they all had too much gain and sounded buzzy, compared to the clips. And, all the stock rigs had the same issue. Sound familiar?

Your Les Paul likely has a fatter output than many other guitars - my old LP Custom has so much low end it can make anything clip. My other guitars were made in the 80s, or have '80s pickups in them.

Turning the Gain knob down on the Kemper front panel works really well, BUT, you don't want to have to do that with every Rig you try.

There is a really simple good, quick fix. And, it doesn't involve doing anything to your guitar.

First, find a clip or video of someone using a Les Paul and Kemper, with a gain profile that sounds OK to you (it doesn't have the be THE profile, just one that isn't too buzzy).

Load the same profile into your Kemper, and play your Les Paul.

If the profile sounds like it has too much gain, you can adjust the Input section of the Kemper to let your guitar get the same sounds you are hearing in the clips (turn the distortion sense down until the sound is pretty close to what you heard) You can STORE this input setting, and name it. If you decide you want more/less gain, no problem. Just adjust away, and store another INPUT setting.

Here are a couple Rig Exchange profile suggestions that may be what you are looking for (even if you don't change your input settings):

AGL SOME MARSHALL - he included Boosts in the stomps of the rig - try it with them all off, first. But, there is a fat tube screamer here, too. This rig gets darker with louder guitars.

JUBILEE OPEN sm57+C3 - this is one of mine, so it has been Les Paul tested;) If it has too much gain with your guitar, turning the Gain knob down a little will mellow it out.

It looked like he had the selector switch in the bridge position, but it was a fat midrangey sound. So, he probably had at least some of the mid boost turned up on the guitar. Guitars with that circuit in them have a different way of driving amps, than passive strats, even when the knob is at "0".

I think there is an old thread where someone (Don Peterson, maybe) described how to add that kind of sound as a Stomp.

I'll write these words, so the Forum will try to compare this to the old thread, and it will show at the bottom of the page.

Clapton Boost

My guitars are all hotter than vintage output, too. I've had to dial back the gain of some rigs to keep them from squealing, but they still have huge amounts of gain.

Unless you are using profiles created with EMG pickups, you are using more gain than the person who created the profile - not that you shouldn't be, just an observation. If you can dial it back a little, without losing the sound, it may cure the problem.

When you aren't playing, using a kill switch, or turning your guitar down will help.

If it gets in the way of playing, try aiming the cabinet right at your head, so you can still hear if you turn it down a little bit.

Or.....a bigger room, smaller drum sticks, a quieter rehearsal drumset ;)

"So I still want to know the correct path.

To go out of the amp to my passive cabinet is it;

Guitar>KPA>Main Output>Looper input>Looper output>Matrix FR212.

Is that right? I use the main/red output right? "

My UNpowered Kemper does not have a red output.

If you have a powered Kemper, do not use the power amp out into anything other than directly into a passive cabinet.

I can't help with the RC30 questions - I don't use a looper.

For sounds with heavy gating and gain, I think you are on the right track with a post-stack boost. Any substantial volume boost before the amp would likely make the guitar harder to hear, because of the additional distortion it would add.

Are you using a sound engineer? If not, you might need more than a 3db boost, if your solos are to be at a featured volume.

That's no more daft than using something this versatile like a foot controlled mixer fader ;)

It is likely a personal style thing - even with high gain rigs, I use a little less gain for chords, and a little more gain for solos, and the guitar knob is something I can use away from the pedal board. You have your rig set up to use a little less gain for solos (one string is less signal than many). I have friends who NEVER touch the guitar volume knob - I'm always using mine.

Part of what I like best about the Kemper is the organic way it reacts to touch, volume knob changes, pickup selection, and different guitars. AND another part is that it can do hyper gain skull crushing distortion, at the push of a button. :thumbup:

You can add your own tag in one of the comment fields of each rig, to make a custom search term - something like "amp4bass" would keep them separate from the guitar amps.

I have mine in a separate folder in Rig Manager, but tagging them in a common folder would work just as well.