Posts by theodorkapnas

Not to be a dick, but why are you paying an engineer if you're just intend on using Kemper presets? The whole point of hiring audio engineers is that they are really good with audio and can make it sound better than if you just do it yourself. By all means, try the Kemper, it might sound better than the mic'ed amp. But if you're working with a good engineer who has a vision for the project I'd always recommend giving him a go at dialing in and mic'ing a tone. Then you can profile it and get a profile which is made for you and is adjusted to your specific style and guitar. Everybody wins :)

I have a Fast Track and it works fine. In Pro Tools you can set the device which syncs the session in the session options. It has to be the KPA, otherwise it won't work.

You have to go into Logic's project settings and set the synchronisation to external(I don't have Logic on this computer so I can't check it right now). You also have to make sure that the session's sample rate is 44.1 kHz(not 41k or 46k, I've never heard of them in an audio context).

I don't have the 4038 anymore, but I decided against doing it when I was profiling. The Royers are a lot more rugged, I wouldn't hesitate on using one of them.

The reason that the sax blew the ribbon was because of the gust of air which inevitably comes from a saxophone when you blow it , it probably had nothing to do with SPL. An amp doesn't move air in the same way, but a Recto stack can definitely move some air...

It was a Coles 4038. The guy who owns it has already replaced the ribbon once, he used it on a saxophone(yeah, bad idea).

I'm aware that pure SPL doesn't kill a ribbon, but a cranked Rectifier through a 4x12" cabinet can make a room shake... I'd be confident recording with a ribbon if I could place it properly and had full control of the signal with my guitar, but the profiling signal sometimes gets very loud at lower frequencies...

I could have run the profiling process once and been in the room with the amp to see how it would react to the profiling, but I didn't try that. I was just wondering if any of you guys have experience with profiling with ribbons, and if anybody had run into any trouble.

Hey guys,

Has anybody here done profiling with a ribbon mic? I borrowed one from a friend and wanted to make a profile, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk since the volume became so loud when profiling, especially at low frequencies. Is it safe to profile a moderately loud amp with a ribbon mic without damaging the ribbon?

Guys, how much faster is the rig change time? That has been my biggest problem with the KPA, but I'm flying out to a show with my KPA tomorrow morning and I'm not touching the firmware until I get back... So it'd be great to know if you guys have noticed any differences!

Gain staging is more of a workflow thing for me. The faders have their best resolution around 0dB. If you track everything at -3dBFS the master is going to start clipping like hell very fast, which means that you have to start pulling down faders and lose fader resolution. 24 bit recording has 144 dB of dynamic range, losing 12-18dB of that really doesn't make a difference. In addition to that most AD converters give the least amount of distortion around -12dBFS. Several interfaces have soft clippers which start clipping before the interface actually hits 0dBFS, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you're after. But for me that's generally a bad thing. I find that tracking at -12dBFS peak gives me levels which are a lot easier to work with, and workflow is sooooo important.

Ok, another update here... I've been suspecting that it isn't a MIDI error, and sure enough, today I tried changing between rigs using the browse buttons on the front panel of the KPA. And the changes are not instantaneous while using the front panel either. It might have to do with how many stomps/effects are enabled for every patch, because some patches seem to change faster than others, but I didn't have time to investigate that today(or well, I forgot). Performance Mode will hopefully improve this aspect when it's made available. Right now the lag is annoying the hell out of me. I still love the KPA, and I'll probably still use it live because it's easier than having to change 2-3 pedals per rig change. But it's not ideal.

Ok, I've just tried switching from a JC120 to a Soldano and back...no lag.
    A stupid question: do you guys have volume or wha engaged? If yes please try to remove them and check if the lag is still there. If we find the root cause Support can solve it.....

Cheers. I'll record a clip when I get the Kemper back into the studio, it's currently at our rehearsal space, so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

Maybe it could help if you record a small clip. Strum a chord and press the MIDI button. I am not sure if we all have the same idea about a "lag".

I'm using a FC-50 and sometimes a FCB-1010. There is no difference between these to pedals in my case. I would not call it a "lag" but a (very) short and smooth "morphing" between the sounds. Other guys may call this a lag.

While playing live I like this smooth morphing way more than the immediate switching of my former digital device. But it needs getting used to.

I don't see it as "lag", but I see it as a serious issue, and that's what worries me. Whenever I change patch on my FCB1010 it changes instantly, but there's a 0.5s crossfade which makes it impossible to change smoothly between cleans and high gain patches. If it was a short lag but it changed instantly it would seem like a MIDI issue, but when there's a crossfade/morphing like that it doesn't really seem like a MIDI issue... If I change from a clean patch to a distorted patch, the first transient always disappears since the high gain sound "fades in". I play doom metal, and I often change from playing clean to playing long, distorted chords and vice versa. And when the sound doesn't change instantly the song changes don't work, and the Kemper becomes severely flawed.

I'm worried that this is an issue with the Kemper but that people are disregarding it. When I change between similar-ish patches I'm not bothered by the morphing, but when I go from clean to high gain it annoys the hell out of me. Then again, there are lots of users which seem very knowledgable and say that switching is as effective as with a real amp, so I'm still hoping that there's something wrong with the MIDI switching.

Here's a question to the guys having delay issues with the FCB1010. I'm also having delay issues, but I'm not sure if it only has to do with the Behringer. Whenever I switch the audio volume decreases for a half second, it's as if the sound which I'm changing to fades in over half a second. Is this the same issue that people have been having?

No, never.

My voltage at home sucks pretty bad, to the point where my Digi 003 doesn't work without a power conditioner. There is a decent amount of people having trouble with their KPAs, I'm wondering if it might have something to do with KPAs being very sensitive to voltage surges...

Mine is very simple.....Pro Tools X with an RME Baby face. Have to find a cable to hook it up via SPDIF.

This is the exact setup I'm looking at. I have a Digi 003 and PT8LE, and I don't really like it... The 003 Factory is great with it's faders when I'm in the studio at home, but I don't have a car, so I basically can't use my rig anywhere else. Once I can afford it, hopefully some time next year, I'll get myself an Apogee Symphony, but right now I need something good and portable which has SPDIF and ADAT.