Posts by Azazil

Hey Mago , i know what you mean ... I dont want to sound exactly like Merrow i just want to find my road to that way of tone ... the video you saw its a product i wanted to be that way, if you notice i have Active pickups thats why there is no need of hiting or muting the strings diffrently ... thats why Merrow hits the strings harder and mutes strings accordingly to what sound he wants to produce he is using passive pickups wich plays a big role to his tone ... i have passive pickups aswell and baritone 7 string guitars and i can pick as hard as its needed.

Drums and bass plays a big part of his tone aswell i chose diffrent drums intentionaly hehe

If you have or know someone that has DI tracks of his i would be glad to try and mess around with reamping etc but i dont think thats the case...
    I dont want to insult Keith with my bad english so excuse me (KEITH IS AWESOME) if it will sound like it .....Merrow isnt THAT much of a great player himself everything its pretty basic.

He has alot of knowledge about guitar tones thought !!!! in general i think, but about his playing anyone with abit of rythm playing experience can "mimic" him .

So yes thats why his profiles didnt work out for you ... they are profilled with passive pickups and a baritone 26 3/16 scale ... so if you are trying with any hotter / active pickup and a standar guitar scale they will sound crap.

Some "deeper" tricks i've found after my video about Merrow sound if someone is aswell into that tone is.

1) His signature overdrive pedal from Protone pedals adds alot of the mojo in the tone.
    2) Dont compress guitars just sub-eq them
    3) Brutally low action on the guitar in a level that abit of buzzing goes into the recording just a tiny bit.
    4) Material of pick....for me intune picks does the trick.

If i remember correctly i have some samples on soundcloud ...
    Yep found some crappy sloppy playing excuse me

https://soundcloud.com/mariosangel/people-of-the-bog

https://soundcloud.com/mariosangel/pro-tone-pedal

But something is missing ...

Haha yea i love how i made that Les Paul look like ... and she is a beast aswell i have her with me over 10 years and she never betrayed me with anything!

AMAZING informations by all of you in this thread fellas really helpfull stuff in here... wich some i wasnt even aware they exist ! Thank everyone of you ....

Was abit consumed by work and couldnt come and read your answers guys so...

The thing is i can get a insanly good tone for "covers" but that is not my Tone Quest , i am doing covers to get start learning and get the tone of my dreams for my originals ... ( dont know if my english allow's to explain that its like the other way around ... i dont want to achieve a tone to complete covers...)

Anyway .... saldy i cant find any raw DI's for example Keith Merrow's song wich i find its really close to what my ideal rythm tone with some changes ofcours is ....

About drums and bass its okish from me ... i am one of those "freaks" i change strings on my guitar / bass to achieve a good tone in EVERY song ... its abit expensive to do... and i dont know if professionals agree or not on this ... but i have found that INSANLY fresh strings adds that "SOMETHING" to my recordings plus alot of "thickness" ....so yea i do that to achieve the best.

Keep the informations coming fellas its really helpull thread !

Thanks for replying from the bottom of my heart every little helps in my case i think...
    So... i have done what you are saying and thats what exactly i did on my video heart of the sea nymph and i also had a great help from Paul Wardingham mixing and mastering the track if you read the description of the video.

Although the track sounds great and in someone else's ears the tone might be okish/good/great in my ears its not where i want to go with my tone sadly :(

Hello everyone , its my first time making a thread , so ill introduce myself.
    I hope i am not making that thread in the wrong place .. if so please go ahead and move it to a proper place.
    First of all i am sorry for my english i hope i am understandable.
    My name is Marios Aggelopoulos i am from Greece , ive been playing guitar for 15 years now , i am a tone enthusiast and one of the reasons i picked up the guitar was for the tone of guitars/amps/cabs can produce ...
    I've been using tube amps for the most part of my life on the simpliest form of it i love to keep things simple ... plug and play.(You will understand why am saying all this )
    So... i've came across an Kemper few years ago , i was blown away from the sound ... so i bought one imidiatly.
    It was so fun at the start using KPA for all those tones etc for jamming and playing along etc...after certain time i decided that i want to make videos for youtube and start recording covers for certain bands/artists wich i loved their playing and most importantly their TONE , in a mind set/self thinking that if i try and approach my beloved bands/artits tones ill finally understand of how to make my own tone wich always lead me to disaster i was always disapointed even though people and comments and emails and friends who wached my videos etc was saying great things about my tone .... but i am not even close to what my head/ears wants to go with my tone.
    Ill leave the story unfinished about here and start getting into the point .

My favorite and ideal RYTHM tone is Keith Merrow's ... song names : Heart Of The Sea Nymph , People Of The Bog , Braving The Tune etc... you get the picture.
    And my favorite LEAD tone is Paul Wardingham's ...anything from Assimilate Regenarate its good for me.

So... my process is ok lets break down every tiny detail to achieve that tone ... making my research and everything asking them personaly getting all the infos i need , so LETS GO
    The rythm tone i love comes from a 5150 original moded with Randall Iso cab or a Nomades 2x12 with a SM75 most of the times ... through a baritone guitar 26 3/16 scale length with Sentien Nazgul Saymour Duncan.

All check i have everything i need guitar wise and everything lets start dealing with Kemper

Lets try every 5150 profiles thats free and what not on the internet even Keith Merrow's own Profiles ...boom complete failure my guitar is completly lifeless and my guitar Tone completly diffrent way that i want it to be ...
    I got into a evil trip ok my guitar sucks my cable sucks my monitors sucks etc... so i worked my ass off all those years to go buy every top notch gear to reproduce that tone ....boom failure again . (I know its the stupidiest thing you can do )
    (P.S. I know there are alot of the things i am listening when i am listening a record and alot of things that matters for the final sound that comes to my ear and makes me think that THIS is the guitar sound i know i am aware )

Same thing with my lead tone ... i asked researched soldano x88r with Marshal Greenbacks cabinet....you know the resault.

So....how you metal heads try and produce the guitar tones that you love when almost all profiles that you Load dont bring the dynamics etc etc that you'd love and you feel that your guitars are lifeless

Any tips and tricks that you do to achieve certain guitar tones ?
    What you suggest me ?

Guitar videos : https://www.youtube.com/user/AggMarios/videos

Cheers and have fun !

Thank you for your reply NightLight really appriciate it , yes sorry for my "question" 1 its just a statement and what KPA techs can say on this is it true is it not ? its just me no other KPA user had an experience with it ?
    Where i can find how to route my interface from kemper as a stereo i dont have any particular use'age of recording L/R where i can read how to record as stereo ... also what is your experience what you think about that ? how do you record ?
    Also have you tried what am saying ? playing wth kemper just as a head feeding it into an amp ? what was your experience? what would you suggest ? how should i get a good result out of a head and only the head not characteristics from the cab , that method you mentioned is about proffiling the head? feeding the actual real head into a di box ? didnt quite understand the method ... also if u have tried using kemper as a head , are there presets for free for that purpose and only ?

Hello everyone , its my first post so bare with me and my bad english hehe !
    I've own a kemper for almost a year now ive been reading forums and its been a great journey , i am really new to all this i ve been a bedroom player wich was playing dead simple gear wise, amp jack in my guitar and play so all this reading etc etc i might have some insanly stupid question's but as ive seen there are alot of helpfull ppl out there willing to help so ill start shooting questions alot i know they might have been questioned and answered in the past so please quote me or link me to the answer ;)

1)I've been testing latetly re'amping with KPA and i found out that KPA kinda give's abit compressed dry signal to my daw ive done tests A/B with KPA and a countryman DI box and KPA and a custom made DI box in both cases the waveform of KPA seemed abit compressed than the other.I am doing this with SPIDF and clean sense at -12 .

2)Latetly i had for a good amount of time an Randall Iso Cab in my hands wich i really loved with my amp ... so i wanted to ask if someone have used one of these with their KPA and what do i need for so i can use it . i have the simple KPA not the power one ... so i guess for start i need a power-amp ?

3) I have read the manuals etc but i have really got a clear answer what is the best use of "volumes" from my KPA.Should Volume always be at 0 db and play with master volume or the other way around ? does anyone got this 100% ?
    how should i treat main volume monitor volume etc etc should all be same db while moving the master volume ?
    at this momment and i dont know if i am getting 100% of it i have my volume knob at "before picking " and master volume " before picking into my interface is this the best i can do?"

4) Recording well i have recorded alot but again i aint sure if i give my daw the 100% out of kemper i have this question .... kemper gives left and right signal both are in mono while recording i treat those signals like one is this correct ?
    example i give my daw the left and right singal out of my KPA and for example pann them right or left treating it like its 1 singal is that correct ?.

5)Last retarted question's of me i was wondering when i proffile for example my colossus shall i use that profile as an amp head with the cabinet button switched to off "bypassed" or how its called...
    will it be like the same if i feed kpa with this profile to my cabinet will it sound kinda same ? have anyone with powerhead/rack tested this one ?

Thank all of you for your time and for the answers !
    Cheers !

Some video's of mine with Kemper :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqqbXSjObDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPUODc6U5A

Tell me how it sounds and what should i do to improve my tone!

I bought Kemper for Marshal 2203 . egnater rocktron TOL 50 , and Laney VH100r ... i should have checked first the patches i guess
    So if anyone has those patches i even pay or i dont know what else to do to find those or one of those atm i would be satisfied !

I would love an Laney VH100.
    An old Marshall 2203 (not the jcm 800 one ) with an old 70's tube screamer TS-808.
    An modified 5150 ..

my dreams :(