Posts by joerch

MadH

I have loaded your wav-files once again into my DAW and although it's subtle, I can definitely detect a difference between them. It's of course only a slight difference and to me most striking when I loop just one phrase of about 2 seconds over and over again while changing between the two wav-files. But there is a difference!
    I have done part 1 of my reamping with FW 1.6, I am now downloading FW 1.5.4 and I will downgrade and reamp again. Can't wait to see (hear that is) the results.

Well, reamping it is then for me. It's a bitch, however, because of downgragding and upgrading the FW versions - I hate that. But okay: I want to find out whether my ears have been deceited (could be) or not.
    A few things though:
    1) I am not really convinced that the Kemper team has addressed this issue (merely) in terms of MatH's reamped test of the different FWs. I mean: Wouldn't you do your own testing, if you were on that team and facing a thread (threat) like this?
    2) If I (and probably others as well) record a DI guitar and then reamp it in the different FW versions, I will make sure that I do this with a profile that doesn't use and stomps and post-amp effects. Then I'll do the same thing with stomps and post-amp effects. I say this because in all of the rigs that I use, I have at least the stomp and / or a reverb activated. It could be that my rigs sound "different", yet there might not be a difference in the profiles (that is the pure profiled amps).

I have to say that I wrote (and still think) that my higher gain lead sounds are better now (to my taste) - more transparent - a bit less of a perhaps unpleasant bite. The clean sounds sound a bit duller than before - could do with some more shine.

The point, however, is not what I like or anybody else might like - we would never agree on "one" sound if we were given the chance to vote for one or the other. The point is that the sound of 1.6 beta and previous versions is audibly different and this is the source of speculation / wild guessing. I guess there's no denying of a slight / mild / more prominent change in sound. Although this might be hard to do, we'll just have to wait and see what the future might bring. After all, we're still discussing a beta version and as at least one user has pointed out before the issue is known to the Kemper team.

Just curious, what is it about the Univibe sound that is missing? I've never played an old Univibe. Closest I've gotten was a Dunlap Rotovibe or emulations from Digitech. As far as emulating a rotary speaker, I think that effect in the Kemper is closer than my "Univibe" experience. For that slower, swooshy Hendrixy thing, I've always just used a phaser. Never thought of a Univibe sounding like a cross between a phaser and vibe as the effects weren't simultaneously available, which is what I thought the Kemper effect was doing.

Number 1: The rhythmic shape of the effect seems to be logarhythmic - I couldn't find a setting that was "groovey" - sorry, it's hard to express what I mean.
    Number 2: To me it sounds "digital" - with artificial highs - and thus it lacks some of the mellow tone charakter of the UniVibe which is smoother and juicier creamier if you like. It's hard to describe in words.

I still suppose that I just don't know what the various parameters do ... This is why I am hoping that someone who could dial in a nice UniVibe tone could put me on the track with a basic setting. And yes, of course I put the stomp effect in front of the amp (in the old vintage fashion).

For a nice demo of what the UniVibe may sound like listen to Pink Floyd's "Breathe" (Dark Side of the Moon) - or watch this video on youtube in which David Gilmour demonstrates the sound of "Breathe" in an interview - I don't expect the stomp to sound exactly the same, but I am sure it must be possible to get the overall character (since my IK Mulitimedia Amplitube plugin does it just fine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-fEmhjOng

Where is the sense of community the internet is supposed to have made possible? There's a public beta FW: Anyone who is interested in testing it, is invited to do so and post his findings. That's what we've done. Now, the people behind the product will do their work to improve the beta FW until they come up with the real thing. If the official 1.6 FW still shows a change in sound, it can be understood that there might be some "disappointed" users. As of now, however, it's a bit early to really complain.
    I'd rather have the chance to try out some of the new features of a beta FW than to have to wait for the official versions to be published. If users don't like it, I'd recommend they don't upgrade to beta versions.

I haven't sat down to listen to the new Phaser Vibe yet, but have you tried one the preset settings? I would start with the one called "PHA Uni Vintage."

Yes, sure (I wrote this in the first post of this thread). That's what is puzzling me: If a stomp effect is supposed to be modeled to sound like a very very well known original, I would suppose that the preset you create should at least remotely remind users of the real thing ... But, no. Not for me at least. The PHA Uni Vintage doesn't sound as a good starting point to dial in a good UniVibe sound.

I was so much looking forward to the UniVibe stomp effect and as of now I am not convinced that I will be able to dial in a typical UniVibe sound. With my previous recording plugin (IK Multimedia Amplitube 3.0) the Uni-Vibe stomp was "on spot". Does anyone have better results? Share some tips? .... The Phase Vibe in the effect preset section doesn't sound like a UniVibe at all.

I have just upgraded to 1.6 beta and I also feel that something has changed about the highs in all of my presets. Yet, with high-gain sounds, I feel that it is a good thing - highs can be very addictive and your ear easily gets used to it and you tend to dial in more highs. At the same time, highs can deceive your ear - more highs tend to be perceived as better. I therefore feel that now especially the high-gains sound a bit more transparent - or clearer as the others call it here.
    Yet, I feel that we should be informed about what has been changed (and why) and what we should do to cope with the changes. In the clean profiles, I feel that the "bite" and "sparkle" has been reduced to a level I will definitely want to readjust. The "old" (before the update) ones were better in my opinion.

The Tone control does not have further impact on values 0.0 to 5.0. It does not go beyond the tone of the original, sonically spoken.
    There is no difference in setting it to 2.0, 0.0 or 5.0, all these values will sound like the original tone control set to max.

Granted, CK - it doesn't matter whether you set to 0 or 2 or 5 - doesn't change the sound anymore. (Yet, it still is not clear to me why there's the possibility to dial in a value that doesn't do anything). What I was trying to communicate to the people who are in doubt of the GreenScreamer is that they shouldn't hesitate to dial in minus values. I find that this is something a musician and a guitarist at that doesn't like to do - probably because MINUS sounds like "loss of something" - and we guitarists tend to not do that. That's my humble thought on the psychology of the value control. - As far as the Greenscreamer is concerned, I am still happy with it, as I was before.

I have (as a new user) also found Robman's profiles and especially the "Cornish G2 50 thru" profile does it for me. It sounds (the way it was imported into my kemper) as if it's just the pedal sound on its own (no wonder really if there's no box attached). Yet, when you choose other cabinets and tweak the EQ and the "Amp's" feautres (the preamp's and pedal's features really) there are some fantastic straight down Gilmour G2 tones at hand.

Isn't this a way of profiling pedals (in a way)? At least distortions or overdrives. All you need (it seems) is a decent preamp and the pedal of your choice. I would even try to do a profile of a pedal on it's own through the kemper (if the machine accepts that). I don't have any Cornish pedals, yet I have the toptone DG-2 and DG-1 - which are a pretty freaking copy of the original Cornish sounds. ... However, as a newbie, I will have to get further acquainted with the kemper.

Thanks for the profiles of Hiwatt-Amps! They all sound pretty damn fine. If I could have 3 wishes, I would love to hear variations of the mic-postion in front of the Fane speakers and a Hiwatt that is on the edge of breaking up (sweetspot). No Hiwatt here for me to try this with, though. Could be something for The Amp Factory?

I have just started with the Kemper and the TubeScreamer was definitely something that I use often with my regular guitar set up. Having read the complaints about the Green Screamer not being usable at all, I was warned. However, I read the hint that the Tone Control in the Green Screamer only sticks to the real Tube Screamer from -5 to 0 (minus 5 to zero). Keeping that in mind and knowing that the real Tube Screamer can deliver some very nasty sounds, I dialed in a nice sound or two or three. It's pretty easy. Yet, when you set the tone control to let's say +2 it's definitely getting awful (why this option is possible at all will stay a secret). Another thing that you all should keep in mind is the quality of the profile you are using. I find (like many others I have read in the forum) that the profile qualities differ a lot. I mean if you use a well meant but not really good sounding profile as the basis of your sound, the Green Screamer will highlight the negative quality of the profiled amp. So make sure that you start off with a good profile (I find that the Princeton profiles done by Tyler are very good for the screamer for blues sounds). Whether you can use the screamer to smoothen a harsh Big Muff, I can't say, because I haven't really tried it yet. But bear in mind, that the 808 isn't really the best option in the real world for that. Most people go for something like a modded BD-2 or a Colorsound clone. So the Green Screamer (and the OD 808 ) might not work. Yet, the Green Screamer itself is almost 100% what I know of my Maxon OD 808, so everything's fine.