Posts by greenblob

"option to choose the source of headphone out! All other outs , you can choose, but headphone out is always Master stereo"

Agreed. It would open up the most accessible user output jack for more uses. I'd suggest add it to the "Feature Requests" thread. If you keep the request post clean and concise the Kemper team have traditionally been pretty good at looking into it.

I always thought the simple plastic ethernet connector on the stationary KPA end was good idea as it's kind of break away point.

If you have a rugged locking ethercon style plug on both ends, and something/someone trips over or snags the cable... where will fail? What will break?

I think the battle for honest low end is always a compromise. (not sure what honest low end is, but whatever.. hah)

Imo lightbox advice is spot on. If the room has no other specific treatments, you'll see instant and dramatic audible improvements by hitting the reflection points, but low end will still be a wayward beast, especially at any kind of volume.

Typically the cross over point of your existing speakers/new subwoofer is less important than the room response to low end. Bass traps are surely going to come up, but man they need to be big to work well. The online home theater crowd is an excellent resource for that stuff. Seriously, they are the biggest nerdiest cashed up subwoofer integration dorks you'll ever meet. Its a rabbit hole though.

In short. Imo, keep the volume moderate, listen for what your existing speakers are missing, then very gently add your sub. Does the sub even help? It might, and it might not..

Imo a good backup should be able to be swapped in quickly and easily, and not be a hassle to take to every show. My emergency "baby Kemper" is a simple V1 Atomic Ampi-firebox I bought a few years ago. Lives in the back of the kemper rack and although limited compared to the KPA, sounds great. Pre setup for 3 amp sounds that all respond well to guitar vol knob - clean, OD, and boosted (with delay). Uploaded my most used Kemper IR and matched output volume so the desk is happy. Give it some power, grab the xlr the kemper was using, and the show can go on.

I've never needed to use the AFB in anger. My rack Kemper has never had an issue live. Always nice to know if the KPA did smoke it mid gig for whatever reason though, it wouldnt result in a trainwreck show.

Knobs taped up on AFB because its the gen 1 version. Stupidly... on the gen 1 version the active preset is instantly overwritten if the knobs are moved. To be used in a "backup rig" role I need to know what it will sound like on boot. I believe they added an option for boot to X state on the newer AFB2 which would solve that issue totally. Because of this I couldnt recommend the AFB V1 for a backup nowdays, but the V2 would be worth a look for sure.

For my remote the same "temporary" fluro gaff tape that I slapped on one night 200+ shows ago still makes switching easy and highly visable. Even on a "blackout" stage setting the backlit screen does enough to be able to easily navigate. Simple and effective. No pale green glowy stickers or additional lights needed ime.

Everything is a bit cosmetically beat up from use, but never had a failure on the remote (except for busting the dimmer pot on the back of it. My error. Was an easy fix though).

My setup:

-Kemper XLR (stereo) out to X32 BUS (stereo).

-Berhinger X32 (stereo) XLR out to IEM. (this is a mix of the whole band including my Kemper)

Using this setup my High Gain sounds terrible, I can't understand why it is so different than when I use my Cab.

With some setup clarification it should be pretty easy to nail down what's going on. From what you've said though, it sounds like there might be confusion in switching in/out the Kempers cabinet IR when swapping between a real cab & direct mixer/Iem. Two questions:

- You only mention the Kemper stereo XLR outs so I'm assuming you're running to either a poweramp/4x12 cab --or-- direct to mixer/iems. Not both at once. Is this correct?

- Do you use the same XLR main outs for both output methods? FYI, on an unpowered Kemper its typically better to use the "monitor" output for a real cab (with "Monitor Cab Off" checked) , leaving the main XLRs free for mixer feeds with cab IR's enabled.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the setup!

(And yup, I'm another lefty. Not sure why this thread appealed to us!)

For me it's just one Mission expression pedal that is either wah (wah activate on movement), pitch, or tape stop, depending on the patch. Chucked a spring in it so its always "heel down" when you take your foot of it. Had an issue where it would vibrate on "bouncy" stages and randomly engage whatever it was controlling. Tried tightening the pivots with no constant luck, but in the end the spring fixed that. It's totally beat to hell now, but has continued to do the business for several years. Never tried "morph" functions. Haven't felt the need. I guess the spring would make that challenging!

Oh, and it's on the right hand side even though I'm a lefty guitarist. Started my early playing with a Boss GT-10 (multi-fx floor unit with integrated expression pedal on right hand side) so it's always felt like thats where it should be!

I'm relocating internationally and am taking 16 guitars with me (that's a bit embarrassing to type!) in a mix of air and sea freight. 6 of them are bolt on neck guitars (all U.S fenders of various styles).

Question - Is there any issue taking the necks off the bodies to ship, then reassembling at destination?

I could take 6 guitars with the necks off in the space that 2 with necks on (in cases) would fill. Air freight is space and weight limited, but in this scenario the space constraint is the challenge.

All will need a setup a few weeks after hitting destination (relocating from dry arid climate, to a tropical one) but cant immediately see any big issue shipping "neckless", but hoping to be educated!

I'm bit late to the party (watched a bunch of the Quadcortex vid demos for 1st time today) but man, it does seem impressive. Makes the Kemper look a bit dated in alot of ways, but that is understandable with the long production life of the KPA.

Baffled by the QC's audio drop out that has been in many demos when changing patches though. That's got to be a deal breaker for anything live? Cant wrap my head around why on earth they would released it like that??? Very strange.

*edit* just saw the other posts regarding this being fixed. Still find it strange that it was let out for unsupervised demos this way. Rushed?

Still love my Kemper and use it almost daily, but welcome the new developments and competition.

As others have said, as consumers it only benefits us.

Have a few fuzz pedals and have built several others from rare fancy transistors. They all do their thing into the kemper the same as a physical amp. No need to worry.

From what I have, the biggest surprise was the cheap DOD Carcosa fuzz. It's really great and actually gets the most use. That's saying alot as there are some pretty cool and considerably more expensive fuzz's just sitting in the drawer (Analogman NKT275 & BC108, Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe, D.A.M Meathead, Earthquaker Devices HoofReaper, Zvex Fuzzfactory, original 1960s Maestro Fuzztone, and some others).

Happy fuzz hunting!

With the shift to smaller events that live music has taken this year, I'm trying to find a good way to set my KPA rack up for permanent double duty. Smaller Acoustic guitar shows using the Stereo FX loop, and traditional larger full band Elec gtr things with Mono FX loop.... hopefully without too much screwing about to adapt between them.

Apologies if the description is a bit longwinded... I'm struggling to find an elegant solution :wacko: here we go...

For live elec gtr I have a Digitech Freqout pedal in the mono loop (All on IEMS, no monitors or cabs on stage, quiet) and it does the loud stagey vibe niceley.

Full length acoustic shows used to be rare, so if one came up, I have a dedicated full "KPA Acoustic Stereo" backup that I would load from USB, pull the Mono Frequot from the racks Mono FX loop, slap the TC Mimiq in, and add the extra cables t make the loop stereo. Reverse all that if the next one was normal Elec stuff. Now I'm doing this almost weekly. All pedals are in the rack.

Acoustic events are typically smaller stripped down things, and we've come to rely on the TC Mimiq to add a second "double track" my guitar (with each panned hard left and right in the PA). As I'm the only guitarist this really helps fill it all out and make a lovely natural stereo hole for the lead vocal to sit in. I really want to keep it.

Simply put:

Acoustic gigs - Mono fx loop send > TC Mimiq pedal (Stereo Out)> Stereo Loop Return. (With KPA XLR Outputs set to "Master Stereo", Smaller venue PA running in true stereo, hard panned)

Elec gigs - Mono fx loop send > Digitech Freqout pedal > Mono loop Return. (KPA XLR Outputs set to "Master Mono", PA doing whatever they want with that)

From what I can tell, I'm going to have to physically turn off whatever pedal in the loop I'm not using that night, but is there a better way that avoids having to physically rewire the loop and remember to adjust the KPA Output settings each time?

I know a lot of you guys are amazing at this stuff and think outside of the box, so wanted to ask for help and ideas! Thanks!

Just sharing so if others have an old Remote with screen issues (and it's out of warranty), this might be helpful. Pretty sure mine had taken a hard knock at some point, so user error for sure.

This is not a tutorial or suggested fix in any way. Don't pull your stuff apart unless you are willing to abandon it and put it in a dumpster. :)

After a lot of use (300+ shows, several hundred rehearsals) my Remotes screen developed some issues. Lines appeared on the screen and it was very faded. Messing with the "Contrast" knob on the back of the Remote would erratically (and only temporarily) adjust the image. The knob also felt a bit loose and wobbly, so it was an obvious fix. Its a board mounted 10K Linear pot, so I replaced it with a chassis mount pot of same value. The original actually fell apart when removed the board, so I think it might have taken a substantial hit at some point. Anyway.. Here are some pics of my DIY repair.

Works like a charm now...

(hope the pics are in order!)

Had a pretty nice cabinet sitting around so threw the cone in there. Sounds good and isn't too big. Size comparison to my similar sized 1964 PR and 1949 Supro (Valco).

Would like to try the Kone in a closed back cab, but don't have a 1x12 closed cab laying around. Might dummy up pine backplate for this cab to test out sometime, but the wood is so nice in the current cab it would just be a temporary test..

What do you guys think, worth the effort to try closed back?

Imo, if you use RM alot, fw 6.xx was probably more stable than 7.xx is on average atm.

I don't use RM at all, and have been gigging on the 7.12 beta for ages (haven't seen a need to upgraded past that). If you like to tinker with effects etc though, the stomp/effect selection screen is way better on 7.xx and probably worth the change.

Started in the early 90's with a garage sale acoustic guitar (that my Mum bought me.. thanks Ma!) and it came with an old "Ernie Ball - How to play guitar - Beginner" book. That showed me all the basics like hand position, how to hold pick, etc, and a chord chart of several 1st position major and minor chords..

A few cheesy songs in there too to get you going. No scales or anything like that, just the bare bones so you could strum a tune with some practice.

Was perfect for me! Was enough in that simple 40 page book to keep me busy for the first 6 months.

After that, moved onto tablature books of popular albums (Hal Lenoard books?) and started to learn more complex chords (Eric Clapton MTV Unplugged tab book was good for that ), and then some of the heavier bands I was into (Slayer, Metallica etc) where I found the joy of riffs and began learning the simpler solos (scales! I'd heard of those!)

Then.. musical buddies, garage bands, awful but exciting 1st gigs (friends parties!), etc.

Was learning songs mostly by ear at this point from just rocking along to my CD's (total trial and error, but common patterns were starting to appear) or from just jamming with my mates and mimicking.

We got Internet! Tabs online.. internet lessons... world changed. Random websites teaching basic music theory, scale relationships, common modes etc. Just spent enough time on there to give me new tools to play with.

Wedding bands, pub bands, regular gigging. This was critical. Simply playing a lot did wonders and many things became second nature.

Had my first ever face to face lesson with a real teacher at this point.. and hated it. Just not for me. Could see the benefit of I wanted to learn theory, but I didn't (and still don't to some extent) see the need to deep dive into music theory. Never went back.

Fast forward 20yrs and I'm still visiting the occasional tutorial website, but mostly just playing and figuring things out by trial and error. YouTube is amazing if you get stale and want to learn try a new style/technique , then in few more clicks you can be jamming along to a suitable backing track to practice it.

Wow. Typed a novel. Ha.

Short answer: Playing a lot. ?

Wow mate, cool stuff! Really dig it. I let it auto play the next several Dr Smooth Vibes tracks, and there are lots of great vibes in there.

Impressed by the "Choon" site as well. Hadn't heard of it, but damn... Very slick! Thanks for sharing!