Posts by Deny

and you will be able to switch other midi gear , through with midi out on KPA

That wouldn't do me any good, I have different rigs that I want to use with the same footswitch, one of them is a 4-space rack with a Marshall JMP-1, Mesa/Boogie Triaxis, G-Major 2 and a custom switcher, I wouldn't want to have to bring the Kemper along just for using the KFC as a MIDI footswitch. Wish they'd included a MIDI out in there, guess I'll have to buy something else.

I don't really care about the looper, although I think it's a bit fishy that it only works with the remote. I'd be really upset if I wanted the looper and could only get it by buying the remote because it:
    1) isn't cheap

2) is proprietary. As phenomenal as the KPA is, it won't last forever and when it's replaced by something else, the remote will become a (once expensive) door stop. Also I have other gear that I need a footswitch for and can't use the KFC because it doesn't have MIDI.

3) only has 5 direct access switches, I need at least 8 plus tap tempo and bank up/down.

Now currently I'm finally happy with rig switching times as it is, using performance mode. IF 3.0 introduces any sort of lag that doesn't happen with the remote as some sort of selling point I am going to be seriously, seriously pissed.

guitar->Banshee->KPA
    vs.
    guitar->KPA->Banshee->KPA

Unless I'm missing something that's more connections, not fewer.

I was talking about the connections with a talk box that requires a power amp and speaker.

Actually my setup is guitar -> KPA -[FX out]-> Banshee / SM57-> Preamp -[FX in]-> KPA

The advantages are: (1) you hear exactly what's going to the FOH from your own monitor; (2) just one (if mono) cable to FOH and no worries about mic levels, monitoring, etc; (3) you can enable and disable the talkbox on a per-patch basis using just your MIDI footswitch, no tap dancing required.

I use a banshee in the kpa fx loop, works flawlessly plus it's less connections to fuss around with :)
    The initial setup isn't very trivial so let me know if you get one and i'll walk you through it.

I agree about Bill Lawrence's pickups being great options.
    Sadly Bill died (last year I think).
    So I don't know if his business exists any longer.

It does, Becky his wife is carrying on with the business.

I like my DiMarzio Areas a lot better than the SCNs that came with my AmDlx, but you have to wire them right to have positions 2 and 4 sounding like true single coils - the secret is using a superswitch to tap the hum cancelling coil of each pickup when they're in parallel. Also if you want hum cancelling in those positions you need either a RWRP middle pickup or revert it yourself, electrically (invert the wires) and magnetically (use a strong neodymium magnet to reverse the polepieces polarity). DiMarzio has these schematics available as PDFs, not sure if at their website but they'll send you one if you email them and ask.

Last night I started playing my Ibanez UV777PBK through the profiles, they sound very good with humbuckers as well, only I felt a clean sense adjustment to -4.0 made it sound better with higher output pickups, whereas with my Tele the default 0.0 setting worked perfectly.

Mike, what are your thoughts about pickup output and clean sense? I know much has been discussed on the subject around here, but I'd like to know the opinion of someone as knowledgeable as you obviously are. Here's my beef: most amps don't have anything similar to a clean sense control; often you plug your strat and it sounds great, then you plug your superstrat with EMGs and it still sounds great, often without having to turn any knobs. Do you feel when making a profile with the KPA, it will sound its best with a guitar with an output level similar to the one that was originally used for refining the profile, and at the clean sense setting the profile was taken at?

HA! VESmedic (won't quote the entire message, it's rather large): I'm so glad to realize I'm not crazy for thinking many profiles available from the exchange, factory profiles and even some commercial profiles are way too bright for (loud) live use! I too make an effort to tweak out the excess brightness but for some reason often end up feeling they're either too bright or muffled when I shave that top end off, as if originally the high frequency emphasis was out of place or something. In any case Mike's profiles seem to be the answer to that problem, I can only imagine how hard he's worked in order to deliver the right frequency content in his profile pack, I'd risk guessing his profiles are "pre-produced" to deliver punchy record-like tones taken at the amp sweet spot for live use, which is exactly what I've been looking for.

guenterhaas: to each their own of course, I figure it's hard to please everyone, but the profiles sound fine through my DXR10. Maybe they'll get a bit too dark with a guitar equipped with very hot humbuckers, but you can always lower the profile gain and clean sense. Can't say anything about how it sounds through in ears though, I hate those things with a passion :p

Just bought these as well, thought a little feedback in this thread was in order: I thought they're simply awesome, best cleans I've ever heard from my KPA, great mid gain and lead tones, and the 3rd Power + Klon profile is to die for :love:

BTW I'm running my KPA into a Yamaha DXR10.

It may very well be so, nevertheless I have to wonder, if you have the ability to radically change your profile for the better just by playing with mic distance and position, why not create a good and faithful profile to begin with? Also from my experience profiling and tweaking, I trust the profiling capability of the KPA better than its ability to tweak profiles without sounding and/or feeling somewhat artificial, to my ears at least. That's why I always audition profiles with every parameter (except gain and definition, for the aforementioned reasons) reset to their default values. If it doesn't sound good then, I will not use it, period. Maybe I'm at a loss, but that's how I've decided to select which profiles stay at my KPA and which will be deleted.

Ha, thanks for the replies guys, love that song, now I'm thinking I should listen to more stuff from XTC, I used to think of them as one hit wonders but have been reading so much praise for Andy's songwriting I'll definitely give them another listen :)

Ingolf, the more I think about that intro tone the more I agree that it sounds like a Tele with bridge pickup selected, tone knob rolled down maybe halfway, compressor, a bit of chorus and a cleanish Fender combo, and I think I have just the Super Reverb profile for the job ;)

On a related note, I'm seriously considering cracking my DXR10 open and trying to figure out if I can mod it to lower the power on the midrange/treble driver. I'll let you DXR10 owners know how that goes if I don't end up frying the thing :p

Personally I like to know how much effort the person who did the profile made to get it right in the first place, I usually discard profiles that are heavily tweaked. As much as I'm into the KPA, which is state-of-the-art technology, I'm still coming from good old tube amps and I guess old habits die hard, "purism" being one of them :)

Interesting, seems those guitars were used just for the video:

"Andy Partridge's approach to gear is as irreverent as his philosophy: "Most of my guitars have been phenomenally crap, like a Futurama guitar I had painted leopard skin. I had a Singapore guitar called a Sway Lee Goldentone - one of those really badly made guitars that as you go down the fretboard towards the nut end it gets wider! I had a homemade Flying V that was four times too thick. It was like a couple of railway slivers joined at the hip. I did White Music and Go 2 with a 1975 Ibanez Artist. I've recently brought it back from the dead, and I played it mostly on Nonsuch - plus my usual Squier Telecaster, my main guitar since 1983".

Source: excerpt from Guitar Player, not available online anymore, but quoted here: http://forums.vintageamps.com/viewtopic.php?p=487780

Note: "Nonsuch" is the album to which "The ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" belongs to.

And it continues:

Andy's amp is a Session 70 ("the cheapest thing in the shop"), although in the studio he covets Dave's 40-watt 1963 Fender Super Reverb. "I'm pretty much compression crazy", he admits, "putting the compression before the amp. You can crank it up and get a smoother shape. On this record, I recorded a lot of echoes as part of the rhythm. There's some E-bow on 'The Ugly Underneath' - that high, spooky, dissonant orchestral stuff. My acoustic is a Martin D-35. I don't really have a head for gear. I mean, I've written albums on 5-string guitars because I was too lazy to put another string on! Dave is the real equipment guy. You and him can talk dirty about guitars.

I'm gonna try that tomorrow :)

Come to think of it, probably the only parameters that can't have their original values tracked back are amp definition and amp gain, aren't they? Tube shape as far as my experience is always profiled at 3.3. So these are the ones that when changed and stored would trigger the "profile modified" flag permanently.

Question: do any of these wonderful toys allow the user to program it to send a MIDI message when *leaving* a particular preset?

Say I have programmed IA switches 1, 2 and 3 to send program changes 10, 20 and 30 respectively, but switch 2 also has an "exit" SysEx message assigned to it.

If I press switch 1, it sends pch #10
    If I press switch 2, it sends pch #20
    If I press switch 3, it sends pch #30 and then also sends the SysEx message associated with switch 2.

Possible?

Here's an idea: now that "undo" is working, this means that the KPA maintains and knows the original parameter values of a profile that's being edited. So what if when the user presses "store", the KPA compares the edited values with the original ones and if parameters in the amp or cab block have been edited (including amp gain), it then sets a permanent flag indicating that the profile is no longer original as profiled?

I can see that ideally there would be a reset option that would take all relevant parameters to their original values, but that would have the side effect of making profiles bigger because the original values would have to be stored with the profile, and thus affecting maximum number of profiles in the KPA, load times and startup time. A permanent "non-original" flag occupies just one bit, and it's quite possible that there's one available somewhere in the rig structure already.

The purpose of this permanent "amp edited" flag would be to indicate if the profile's gain, amp block or cab parameters have been altered since it was created. For some users (myself included) it's important to know if a profile was done right to start with just by using the amp's settings, mic position and maybe a bit of EQ, or if it was taken in such a way that needed modifications later in order to sound good.