Posts by Myramyd

I ordered mine last week on Monday and it arrived here on Friday. Considering how long the wait was when they first came out that's pretty darn good, and that is faster than Sweetwater or Musicians Friend can deliver where I live with their free ground shipping. The Kemper facility is in Colorado and I'm only a state away but it did take them a few days to fulfill the order.

But I ordered the expression pedals for it from Sweetwater about 10 minutes before the Remote and they won't get here until Tuesday. The Remote is free ground shipping (as with Sweetwater).

I've had mine for 2.5 years as well but just waited for them to get a stable stock and any software bugs worked out first. ;)

Sorry I didn't see that you had replied to this. I should have followed up my original post. Yes, holding down the rig button was the solution I got from Kemper support as well and that worked right away thankfully. I was in the same boat as you. I hadn't heard of that particular fix before then--either that or I forgot about it since I hadn't had any issues in over two years!

Luckily we are all able to keep on playing!
    John

Well, the last thing I did was rearrange my performances in Rig Manager (everything was fine while I was doing that). I shut it all down, then when I got to the gig and I started up the KPA the error came up. I just rebooted it 3 times (got the error on the first two) and it worked and I got through the gig. So I thought all was okay, but then I started it up today and it came up again. I do wonder if Rig Manager caused a rig to get corrupted or something. I probably should have mentioned this in the support email but just thought of it now.

I did get through to support and got a ticket (#KA00106729).

J

EDIT: Sorry--I meant to put this in the Troubleshooting Forum. I don't know how to move it there!

Hello,

I have the fun ***A SOFTWARE ERROR OCCURRED*** "death" screen on my KPA for the last several days. I have tried to contact Kemper support via their email form but it comes back as undeliverable.

It says:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: [email protected] SMTP error from remote mail server after 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable 550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record

Is there another way to contact support? Haven't had any problems in the 2 years I've had it, other than the first KPA I was sent had hardware issues. I'm assuming Kemper support still exists other than the phone number in Germany?

If anyone can let me know how I contact them. I have a photo and backup ready to go. I didn't see any other threads where people are having a hard time contacting them.

Thanks,

J

Mine does the same thing (I have the FCB1010 so it's not related to the Remote) and it is very problematic at gigs.

I've also had a LOT of weird things happen since installing 3.2.1. It is the most buggy update I've had in the last 2 years. Had several things happen at the last two gigs, including a Firmware crash on startup. Unfortunately I did not have time to take photos or write anything down since I was in the middle of a gig. It was the first time after gigging with the KPA for 2 years that I was worried I needed a backup device for the gig.

But, this bug has been happening to me for a while. I hope they can track some of this stuff down.

J

This has never happened to me at a gig but happens often at rehearsal--100% of the time it is because of the power outlet that I'm plugging into. They are very loose where we rehearse and all it takes it a tiny vibration from the universe to shut the power off for a split second, which results in a reboot. Not enough to shut off or restart any of my other gear but the KPA is pretty sensitive.

I recall back in the early days of this forum guys were talking about only certain UPS systems being stable enough for the KPA. If I understood correctly, since you are essentially plugging into battery that is backed up by mains power that battery needs to supply a constant level of electricity and only the more expensive types of UPS will do this. The more common ones aren't stable enough.

I've never used one but you might research old posts on this forum where they were talking about the different UPS. That could be a concern if you are always using one that isn't ideal for the KPA.

J

Younger guys use Spring Reverb WAY more than any other type. Indie Rock, Shoegaze, Psych Rock, Punk, Folk--even Country uses Spring Reverb. There are a lot of bands over the last 10 years that crank the amp spring verb AND add a Holy Grail pedal in front of it for serious Spring madness.

I think the main reason they didn't think of adding it is that the Kemper team came from synth programming (re: Access Virus), Spring Reverb isn't real common in synth programming or in the genres that the Virus is used in. It's mostly used for guitars playing non-dance/electronic music unless you are being creative.

J

I know--even though it's not perfect the Boss Feedback/Sustainer effect (the pedal and also found on the GT series MFX) would be a great addition to the KPA. That is one effect I do miss for the reasons you mention.

Other than that I have to walk over and stick my guitar in the singer's wedge to get any actual feedback. ;)

Maybe we can put this in the Feature Requests board.

J

Please tell me this is real and not just a dream (won't be able to try it until later today--stuck at work). I'm in 3 cover bands and have about 100 performances that I have rearrange by clicking the up/down buttons approx. 400 times before each gig.

If we really can use Rig Manager to organize/save Performance Mode setlists I will genuinely start CRYING!!!! I will drive directly to a liquor store and get a bottle of champagne!

J

We have been asking for this since day one. The last thing I was told was "there is already a preset for Spring Reverb." Which is like someone telling me you can make a Les Paul sound just like a Strat with the right EQ settings. At this point I'm not really sure the KPA team understands why we need it or want it so bad. Yet, it's one of the oldest and first effects to ever be included in a guitar amp, so it's an absolute staple for many genres.

As a long time user, I would say that the lack of a true Spring Reverb is perhaps the only real flaw or downside to the KPA. I've never heard any evidence that it's being worked on or of any plans to add it. The requests for it have only been met with resistance the past several years.

J

This is the best forum thread on the topic for getting starting points on what the famous dudes used:

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…=randy%2Brhoads#post57545

I will tell you the SRV tone is hard to nail because no one is SRV but him! For one he varied the settings a bit, both live and in the studio. But he mostly used 2 TS pedals into a Fender Twin and/or clean Marshall combo amp early on. Then a little later live he would use the same pedals into a Fender Twin and Marshall Plexi, then the last album in the studio he used, literally, a wall of amps simultaneously most of which were Fender Bassman amps cranked. I think that was his best tone but it's impossible to replicate unless you want to chain several KPAs together.

I play Pride & Joy live and I would say that's the profile I'm never happy with. I've changed it a few dozen times trying to get it right. It's really hard since you can't use two amps together but I've gotten closest with the 2 TS pedals (one adds drive and one is a clean boost only) and either a Twin or JTM45 profile set with some grit.

Good luck!
    J

Agreed, not to make a pun but I find the KPA Compressor to be "limiting."

It takes a lot of trial and error to get the kind of results I'm used to, coming from a studio background it's very limited in options and from a guitar comp pedal background, the functions don't correlate that well to the pedals I'm used to either without some real tweaking. I can get a decent clean comp sound with it but it's not very user-friendly to me. You basically have to fly blind and twist parameters until it gets somewhere that you want to go.

Ideally it would be nice to have this one and a more "studio" type compressor to choose from. Mainly to have one that could be used post-amp more like a studio comp would be. I used to do this with great affect/effect using my older processors (Line6, Digitech, Roland, etc.) on some lead and clean sounds.

J

Looks awesome! Can't wait for all the complete details!

Just to add more to the speculation--theoretically the Remote could store data for the Looper separately from the KPA. Since the signal has already been converted to digital (data) inside the KPA, it could route and store it in the Remote's RAM via the CAT5. The Remote itself doesn't need to do any A/D or D/A conversion since it's already done when the signal enters or leaves the KPA. But there could be roundtrip latency if that data is large in size. It may downsample the bit rate or sample rate beforehand to get around that latency however.

Not saying that's what it will do but that could be a possibility.

J

I'm really hoping it will be around $400 or less USD. Anything more than that will be a budget breaker for most of us average musicians. The KPA is/was already sky high for us price-wise, not that it's not worth it. I was lucky to get mine earlier before it jumped up. For a dedicated foot controller (only usable with the KPA) it's hard to justify paying more than that, even if it's cool. If it's really around $600-750+ I'm not sure I would ever pay that. Otherwise if it's reasonably priced somewhere below that I would get one right away.

J