Posts by lightbox

Clock, as you put in parenthesis, is frequency. Sample Rate is frequency as well, e.g. 44.1kHz. Both have to match throughout the entire chain ... in other words, all participants have to speak the same language. The clock master decides the language to be spoken, all slaves have to follow.

It's not that difficult to understand and Kemper hasn't invented the principles of digital audio. ;-)

i'm in this industry for a very long time and never came across this a single time

Let me put it this way ... it's not unheard of in this and many other industries that (some) publications have clients frequently booking ads and in return they publish articles/reviews to please these clients.

There's many subtle ways to "pay for publicity" other than the direct way. ;)

To say it with Shirley Bassey:

So let me get right to the point
    I don't pop my cork for every man I see
    Hey big spender,
    Spend a little time with me

new interfaces won't come with spdif, only adat optical

There are converters for that

Don't forget to check whether the ADAT optical ports can be switched to optical S/PDIF mode! Even though both are optical, they're not the same and the interface needs to support the S/PDIF mode.

Also check whether the interface supports direct monitoring for the digital inputs, there is some that don't.

As always ... it depends.

With a line level signal and 1m cable length, differences will be negligable (inaudible).

With a weak mic level signal and a 9m+ cable length, things can already be quite different if it's a cheap cable.

In a massively equipped pro studio, cables can make quite a difference due to long total cable runs through various outboard gear in different racks all over the place. In a home studio this isn't typically a major issue.

Just go for quality mid priced cables in the price range of 25-40 Euros for a 3m cable and you should be perfectly fine.

it would be a great opportunity to combine two rigs

Yep, I do understand this and of course I wish we had a Profiler that could run 2 seperate rigs (signal chains). My solution for this was to buy a total of 4 Profilers (2 per studio). Wouldn't mind to get that slightly cheaper and more convenient at the same time. :D

the same amp and cab but with different mics

This might leave you quite underwhelmed, to be honest. The real beauty starts when you have 2 pretty different rigs (as in amps/cabs) which complement each other and do their very own thing (different gain, gain structure, response). This really opens another world of sounds and is so satisfying and rewarding to play and experiment with.

For example, you would be very surprised to hear an old, vintage Selmer Treble'n'Bass 50 amp combined with a crunchy Mesa Boogie V in Mark IIC+ mode. That's where the fun starts. Using 2 microphones on a single amp and having them go into seperate signal chains won't come close at all.

I perfectly understand that it's not so much fun with one Profiler only. You'd have to reamp to get a result. You never have the immediate "feel" of both amps while playing. But at least it's a way to explore and find out if this results in a sound you're craving for. :)

There's no problem profiling an amp/cab with more than one microphone. Just keep in mind that profiling as we know it today has no "time based component". This means, it doesn't make sense to add a room mic to the mix unless you know you only want its color, not its "depth" (natural delay), as part of the resulting profile.

Personally, I always profile using 2 microphones.

Combining 2 rigs is a different story but not terribly difficult either .... as long as you can afford 2 Profilers. Results are insanely great, couldn't live without this option. :)

this just comes across as reflexive defensiveness because it threatens the Kemper

I can fully understand that it can come across like this. But rest assured that I don't mind technological improvements at all, I actually welcome them. I'm in no way trying to defend the Kemper Profiler and I'm not feeling threatened either.

I just generally don't like companies that blow a huge marketing bubble with nothing (yet) to prove what they claim.

We'll see, once the product hits the market. Until then I have nothing to add and let you guys freely express your opinions. ;)

Cheers

Martin

I am allergic to exaggerated claims like ...

"The Quad Cortex is here" ... while it's not here until September earliest

"The most powerful modeler on the planet" ... gimme a break, it's not even here yet. And you as the manufacturer will never provide an objective rating.

This being said, I already dislike what they do / how they do. Will be very hard for them to change my mind. Just because of their attitude in early marketing.

I was just thinking in terms of the most features for the most people, at least on the first release

Chris, you are aware that I'm talking about Rig Manager in the first place? We're way beyond first release, many years actually. ;) And yes, I have complained before about the lack of scaling ... without success.

G, are you running yours at full 3840 x 2160 (-ish) resolution, or do you run at 1920x1080?

Given that G String is on Windows (which is the topic in this thread), he'd have to be pretty hardcore to accept the terribly blurry and awkward Windows system scaling. This would be very hard on his eyes and I would expect G "Eagle" String to turn into G "Mole" String in no time. ;)

I would think if it was 1920 x 1080 that it would be normal size text but very clean due to the high dpi. However, it's running 3840 then couldn't you just change the res to 1920?

On Mac, system scaling is much better but it still doesn't make sense to pay for a 5K display just to restrict yourself to 1920x1080. There's apps that can make very good use of the higher resolutions. Rig Manager certainly isn't one of them though.

Cheers

Martin