Posts by lightbox

As I said in another thread, a Leslie does NOT have 2 fixed speeds only.
    The limitation in an un-modded Leslie is only, that you can use 2 speeds while playing. But if you prefer different speeds you can change the belt drive's gear disks or the motor or even mod it to have variable speed.
    Watch the following photo in full size and you'll notice the 3 gear disk mounted on the horn's motor.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi…s/3/3a/Leslie_Speaker.jpg

Cheers,
    Martin

... I'd also appreciate some guidance and advice on the amp factory stuff.

One of the best amps to experience the amazing steaming tube growl that can be reproduced with the Kemper (imho) is the 1968 Orange Matamp from TAF. And if you're interested to experience the Profiler's capabilities to handle dynamics of your right hand with a great, less known amp, then you might want to check the ToneKing Galaxy from TAF. Personally I like the Marshall Bluesbreaker a lot but that's an amp/combo you would probably find on your own if you like this amp's tone. :)

Apart from these 2 (3) suggestions, there's a lot more to discover of course. Lots of choice incl. the well known suspects in Fender and Marshall territory. Just go and listen to the demo clips. They give you a good idea what to expect.

Cheers,
    Martin

I didn't bash the factory rigs at all. I just disagree with viabcroce's opinion, that it's best to learn how to tweak the factory rigs first. Of course it's best to audition the existing content first. Sadly there's very little guidance available to "audition" the factory content unless you start scrolling and noodling through the hundreds of rigs. I preferred the demo clips available for Soundside's and TAF's commercial rigs.

Things have become a bit easier to handle since we have the (sortable) list of factory rigs on wikpa.org though. Now we can see what's hidden behind the sometimes weird rig names. It's easier now to pick a specific rig to try without getting lost in rigs that demo specific effects or amps that we might not be interested in.

The most important thing is to make your first experience with the Profiler an unforgettable wow moment, now matter how you do. If you have a chance to listen to demo clips of specific amps before your Profiler arrives and you seriously fall in love with some of them ... there's nothing wrong to buy and/or download them and go from there.

Just imagine you are in a huge retail store with hundreds of new and vintage amps and you're free to try all of them. There will be a few you want to try first or you're sitting in the corner waiting until someone else stops trying a couple of amps and while listening you think "wow, I have to try this one as well". No matter how you choose, just make sure you find a way to pick what YOU want to hear and try first. There's no point in trying ALL in alphabetical order until after maybe 30 rigs there's one that seems to fit your taste. And there's even less point in trying to tweak a given mediocre rig until you might like it better.

That's pretty much all I tried to say with much less words.

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: I certainly know a few great TAF rig packs I would suggest. But I think it's better to just go and listen to the demo clips available and decide on your own.

As for the profiles, I'd suggest to take your time to understand how the machine works and how you can affect a profile's sound... And also how each of them relates to your guitars.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for, what music style you're playing, which amps you prefer. I haven't been very happy with the factory profiles and I quickly went shopping at TheAmpFactory and I don't regret a cent spent for these rigs.

Keep in mind that a professionally-made profile might ... sound apparently weak or unsatisfaying when you play alone.

And the opposite frequently happens as well. ;)

... no need to rush spending your money IMO :)

No need but not a mistake either, imho. Better to spend some extra money on great profiles/rigs so you can enjoy the Profiler from day 1, than to try to tweak the hell out of the existing stuff on day 1. Make it a fun experience instead of snorkling through the menus for hours. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Is there any 'lag' between what you play and what you hear?

The Profiler's latency is exactly the same like you stepping 1m (3ft) further back from your monitor. I guess you don't care about a specific distance from your monitors, a 3ms latency can't really be felt.

How 'touch responsive' are the Kempers? I've played a long time, and alot of my sound and 'technique' comes from my picking hand, is this reflected while playing the Kemper?

Absolutely yes, no doubt about that! :)

Don't exactly understand what you mean by "natural modulation". If you mean the feel of the tubes, then expect to be blown away by the Profiler.

Cheers,
    Martin

Oh my goodness, today I made a big mistake!
    I setup the Fender Mustang III v2 and played a little bit to get used to it and tweak a few sounds. So far so good.
    Then, out of curiosity, I setup the Profiler and the Yamaha DXR10 as well and played them a bit.
    Now, how the hell can I forget the amazing tone of the Profiler and the DXR10 to enjoy the Mustang? 8|
    Seriously, I shouldn't have done that direct comparison!
    Even a Zoom G3 connected to the Yamaha DXR10 sounds way better than the Mustang. I'm lost, I'm stuck, I've created a big mess in my brain.

Ok, the positive side of things: I'm just so happy and amazed every single day that I own a Profiler (and the DXR10), even after 1 year.
    Just sad, that there's no small and cheaper version of the Profiler so more people can enjoy all this fun.

And now, after all this whining: Back to thinking about what to take to Nepal. Tough decision, again.

Cheers,
    Martin

You mean the demo clips?
    The profiles are 99.99% independent from pickup or guitar used while refining the profile. Just use whatever pickup you like, it will translate well. The profiles aren't "in between" by all means. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Another +1 for the DXR10 here.
    But keep in mind that these can easily blast the brain out of your skull when used in a small or medium sized room at home. If you plan to use them at home only, you'll likely never use the 1100 Watts power you paid for. 8o

Janne, I think you got the point where USB can be a pain. Its implementation can be quite bad for audio streaming purposes. Most laptop USB connections are designed to simply attach storage devices and to connect printers. But audio interfaces are a different story where all kinds of energy saving functionality or limited (below specs) power supply through USB or bad USB port driver design can have an immediate effect on your audio interface experience. Usually Focusrite can't be blamed for these issues and they're having a hard time to find workarounds to make their interfaces work even on badly designed USB ports.

If someone has a choice, I would always recommend Firewire

Only 20 days left until NAMM 2014 and they do have a booth there (Hall A, Booth 6100).
    So I think it's only 2 weeks until we know what's next. Can't imagine them going to NAMM without any news, at least announcements. Last year, news went public 1 week before NAMM 2013 started. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

But I can't get why the editor isn't here in terms of it being a 'basic' for other companies.

Because other companies build modelers where you need to build your tone from a few basic models.
    The Profiler isn't a modeler, so an editor isn't so important. Even less with the great frontpanel to quickly tweak the rigs.
    What we really do need is a librarian tool, not an editor, not an editor, not an editor, not an editor.

Happy new year everybody. :)
    It's been 7 months since we started the wiKPA.org community Wiki and there couldn't be a better day to celebrate more than 100.000 page views. This is great for a special interest site with only limited user base compared to other products with more market share.
    I want to thank all the helpful hands that made (and still continue to make) this a helpful resource! I'm very proud of this great community and the welcoming atmosphere in the Kemper forum. Let's make 2014 another great year for all of us. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

Bass players can only count to 2, they only have 4 strings to add some complexity to their simple world. :D
    So basically if you just take 1 of these DXR10 to your home, he won't even notice because 3 units left is complex enough for a while. :P

Have fun in sound heaven :)