Posts by lightbox

Marshall amps are a pretty well served territory on the Kemper Profiler. Lots of them available for free ot commercialy. I can't see reason to have custom made profiles done for a fortune. One thing you really should understand ... Profiler rigs aren't tweaked models, they are spot-on profiles of the mic'ed amp/cab. This alone makes it VERY different to anything you can get from modellers. The most complete collection of Marshall amps and cabs profiles can be found at TheAmpFactory (Ultimate Toolkit Pack1). And if that's still not enough, you will find a lot more Marshall Packs in their Amp Packs or at Soundside or on the Rig Exchange. Only thing I can tell you: Be ready to spend a few extra bucks on good profiles. Don't expect the best of the best right out of the Profiler box.

Regarding your request for totally dry clips ... I doubt you would like them cause they have to sit in the mix and thus might sound strange when listened dry. Nobody has the very same guitars or fingers or monitoring that you have. You will have to try on your own. And my personal guess: It's not to hard to get exactly what you're looking for. AC DC's guitar sound isn't complex enough to overburden the Profiler's capabilities. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

Wow, man. I was confused today. Actually almost shocked. Geraldo, in case you received a PM regarding Carlos' sound ... please forget it!
    I was totally confused about what I suggested to you and what you actually bought and why the sound still doesn't seem to be spot on in your demo and why you're having trouble with noise and hiss. My brain suddenly did a couple of somersaults.

Anyway ... now I understand you didn't buy Armin's Pack but a pack from Andy that I still don't own (was released after my suggestion back in April). Maybe I should get it and check it, but on the other hand I get the Santana sound spot on with Armin's profiles.

Sorry if I caused not only my own confusion.
    Martin

No worries, Alan. :)
    You made me learn something today, not a bad thing on a cold winter evening.
    If you ever feel like exploring new musical territory (in terms of crunch, edge of breakup, ...) you should give it a try, it's amazing. Until then I wish you all the best ... and you're always welcome in this great community, no matter if you own a Profiler. Nice people always welcome here.

Cheers,
    Martin

Well, I held back with my opinion so you can judge first. :)
    But now, since you're asking, here's my thoughts:

Although I can't call myself an amp expert by any means, I think the main issue is the fact that these glorious tubes and circuits don't get much to work when doing 100% clean sounds. I think most of the differences you hear come from the speakers and the way there were mic'ed when profiling. I think there IS a difference to your dry track for sure. Is it a lot different to your wet track with amp sim? No.
    I'm not a high gain type of player either, I LOVE the edge of breakup, crunch, bluesy kind of stuff ... and for this, the Profiler is pure heaven. But to be honest, If I was a 100% clean guitar player, I wouldn't be impressed at all. You can achieve most of the differences by EQing and changing delay and reverb to taste.

So as I said before, it was really interesting for me to do that "job". I learned a lot, just like you it seems. :)
    Will the Profiler be a good investment if you stick with 100% clean? I think it isn't. You don't take advantage of the realism of tube amp grit reproduction. And for a speaker and effects simulation it might be a bit to expensive. I think you're better served with a couple of nice guitars with different character / pickups and a good effects unit for all things reverb, delay, chorus, etc.

Cheers,
    Martin

Ok, I did 10 Reamps for you. I didn't change anything on the rigs I used, not even volume adjustment, apart from the Marshall Bluesbreaker where I switched off the Tremolo stomp. All rigs are commercial rigs from TheAmpFactory, cause I currently don't have many rigs loaded from other sources.

Here's the list of amps/rigs I used:

• 1953 Fender Tweed DeLuxe CLN3
    • 1961 Fender Super C3 Clean3
    • 1961 Fender Twin Clean
    • 1962 Fender Bassman Clean
    • 1963 Fender Vibrolux Clean
    • Carol-Ann OD2 Clean
    • HiWatt David Gilmour Clean
    • Marshall Bluesbreaker Clean3 (Tremolo Off)
    • Soldano 100 Clean
    • TwoRock Custom Reverb Clean2

And here's the download link for all 10 MP3s (320kbps) compressed into 1 zip file:
    http://www.wikpa.org/_files/alan-clean-reamps.zip

Hope this helps you ... wish I had the corresponding backing track so I could have mixed them, hehe.

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: All MP3s have about 16 seconds silence at the beginning cause Alan wants to align them easily to the backing tracks.

No need to get a PRS guitar to play Santana. His signature sound has not been crafted on PRS guitars anyway. Think about the Gibson SG he played at Woodstock or the Gibson L6S or the Yamaha SG-175B he played a lot in the mid 70ies (see videos below). Even a Gibson Les Paul is an instrument he used quite a bit in his career, even on his most successful album Supernatural.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Even the amps weren't so important for his signature sound, he used a Gallien-Krueger GMT 226A at Woodstock, he used Marshall Plexis and (mostly) Mesa Boogie Marks over the years.
    I think the most important things to notice is he doesn't use a lot of Gain, he uses the neck pickup a lot with the tone knob rolled down quite a bit ... and don't forget to add a booster and/or compressor to get lots of sustain. It might help as well to turn down the amp profile's definition parameter a bit.

The rest is trying, listening, adjusting EQ a bit ... and a copy of his fingers, hehe.

You can even record and provide a clean DI track and make us reamp it with a few different profiles/rigs so you can judge on your own, with your own playing.
    There are quite a few users here that have their Profiler setup ready to reamp without much effort. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

That's exactly what I meant. We don't need ONE custom field with ONE value only. We need multiple values (tags). Imho, that's the only way to do it "right".
    And the Profiler needs a method to analyze, store, provide all tags used to easily filter the rigs. Glad I don't have to program this on the toaster though. :)

Imho, a custom user field with one value only wouldn't feel right. If we're asking for more comfort browsing the rigs, there must be an even better solution with multiple entries. This way you could enter a couple of terms like "Rock, Blues, ZZ Top, Gretsch Billy-Bo" and filter by these terms. But that's quite some extra work for Kemper and I'm not sure this will ever happen. But single value fields feel so 90ies when you consider all the massive tagging going on on the web nowadays. :)

Final decision is made. It's going to be a Fender Mustang III v.2.
    I had a chance to try one and even compare it to the Marshall MG101CFX.
    Given the fact that it's not a Kemper and not a DXR10, I think it's great value for money and that he'll have plenty of fun with it, even if it still has some flaws in terms of versatility.

Just a question: Isn't the feel depending on music style as well? I often wonder why only few people state what kind of music they prefer to play. Isn't the feel different when you play bluesy stuff on the edge of breakup compared to thrash metal for example?

You shouldn't worry to much about 44.1kHz vs. 48kHz as long as you have no need to use a specific sample rate.
    The problem is, that lots of professional digital audio gear still uses 48kHz due to ADAT & AES/EBU specs. If you use lots of this kind of gear (like I do), then it's a pain that the Profiler can't be switched to 48kHz (and can't be sync'd to an external clock).
    But if you don't need to follow these specs and if you don't mind to sync your audio interface to the Profiler's S/PDIF, just use 44.1kHz and enjoy. There's no point in doing extra DA/AD conversion and your interface's AD converter won't add fidelity to the audio signal.

Hi Alan,

you clearly stated you ONLY play clean sounds, so you will obviously not make use of many of the Kemper features dedicated to distortion, you'll delete many of the factory rigs shipped with the Profiler. And I think your mind tells you something like "wow, why spend a fortune if I only use 5% of what the Profiler is capable of?" ... and yes, to some degree you're certainly right.
    But on the other hand, if you're looking for some variation in clean sounds, if you like to have choice between amazing clean amps, it's still worth the investment, imho. Even if you decide to buy some of the awesome profile/rig packs and use only 1/4 of the profiles you just bought ... still worth every penny, because for a handful of coins you can get your hands on amps that would cost you tens of thousands bucks/quid/euros in the real world. Even your self-imposed limitation to 100% clean sounds leaves more than enough room for an amazing journey into the world of amp sounds.

Only thing I don't quite get: You're playing at home, bedroom levels, enjoying music. Why the rack version? Why not the beautiful lady's handbag aka toaster aka vintage Profiler? So much more convenient and chique for home use, imho. :)