Posts by lightbox

Beyer DT770 : has a known problem: the low ends sometimes crackle in the right earpiece. I didn't believe it, bought one, got the problem and sent it back...

Have been using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for ages (the 80 Ohms version) ... and many of them in different places. Not even once did I have the issue you describe. For me, these are the best headphones, fullstop. And the price is more than sexy for what they deliver.

Cheers,
    Martin

If you watch and listen the Jeff Beck live @ Ronnie Scott's from DVD/BluRay it sounds completely different to the sound the audience heard in the club. That's important to understand. If you play the Kemper (no matter which profile) at home or in your studio, you always listen to the mic'ed amp nicely EQ'ed and finished. That's great. It's just ready to record.
    Now if you're playing on stage, you expect a different sound/feel. You want to have the feel of an unmic'ed amp in the room and you certainly can achieve that as well, at least pretty close. Problem starts if you want to have both at the same time. The sound of a recording of e.g. Jeff Beck AND the amp in the room feel you've been used to on stage. You don't even know how the sound in Ronnie Scott's was and you'll never know. The sound in the club even changes a lot depending on where you sit in the audience, there's not this ONE sound for all.
    Actually, you just have a great recording and you're having trouble to translate this to your on-stage experience. And I think that's a problem you can't solve unless you adapt your expectations. Either you go for the nice blast from a great guitar cab on stage (which will never sound like a recording) or you try e.g. In-Ear monitoring to get the sound that you enjoyed on a recording. Or you just find a way in between that is enjoyable for you (FRFR monitors or combinations). Nobody can tell you what exactly to do. You will have to find out on your own, I fear.

Of course you can always get additional plugins, either by upgrading to the full version or buying 3rd party plugins.
    Actually the upgrade path from Cubase 5 Essential to Cubase 7.5 Artist to Cubase 7.5 will be 458 Euro (199 + 249) total while the direct upgrade from Cubase 5 Essential to Cubase 7.5 would be 499 Euro. ;)

A complete list of included (or not included) features can be found here:
    http://www.steinberg.net/filea…on_chart_-_2013_11_26.pdf

One more thing I have to mention, although it's not in favour of Cubase 7.5:
    I just bought and installed the upgrade from Cubase 7 to Cubase 7.5 and I have some serious trouble with the new version's user interface. Will have to investigate if there's an issue with my graphic card or if there's a serious issue in Cubase 7.5. I will report as soon as possible, in the meantime don't buy/order.
    SOLVED

Regarding the 2 features you would miss (and the others you think you won't miss):

1. DeEsser
    If you plan on doing vocals as well, a DeEsser is essential. You can get lots of third party plugins as well. Some of them are really good and especially helpful when you're not experienced using a DeEsser. One example I would suggest you to watch is the FabFilter Pro-DS. They've produced a great introduction video where you can easily understand what a DeEsser does and how he does it. Sadly this beautiful beast will cost you 149 Euro.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Compared to th Pro-DS, the one that comes with Cubase 7.5 is VERY basic. Not a reason to get the full Cubase just to have this basic filter. But still a DeEsser is something to keep in mind when you plan to record vocals.

2. Voxengo CurveEQ
    This one I would say is a great addition to the Cubase toolset. But it can be bought as a 3rd party plugin as well for 70 Euros (and there are gazillions of other EQ plugins on the market). The benefit of this plugin: CurveEQ enables you to compare and match spectrums visually without the need to get the expensive (but much better) Izotope Ozone. Really nice to have it included in Cubase 7.5, imho. A reason to get the full Cubase? Certainly not.

3. General remarks:
    After some coffee I think it's not necessary to go through all missing features in detail. There's nothing you can't get as 3rd party plugins. It just adds to the overall cost and that should be considered. The additional features you get with Cubase 7.5 certainly aren't the best of the best, but at least you get them and they are usable, some of them are really good imho, like the REVerence or the Multiband Compressor.

Ingolf certainly has a valid point. Cubase IS expensive and since you're not already tied to Cubase, it's not a big problem to switch. I wouldn't recommend the Mac/Logic path, but I certainly can tell that Presonus Studio One is a nice DAW at a more reasonable price. It misses a few advanced features compared to Cubase but that can be helpful because it's easier to learn. I bought Studio One Producer one year ago for a guy in Nepal who didn't have any experience in DAWs ... he quickly learned to use it and as far as I can tell, it looks and feels good. An option you should investigate.

I just read in another thread that you're not planning to buy Cubase but Cubase Artist. I hope you're aware of the differences? In case you're not, here's a list of missing features you might not like:

The Artist version does NOT include:

• Multiband Compressor
    • Vintage Compressor
    • REVerence impulse response based convolution reverb
    • Roomworks algorithmic reverb (but a stripped down SE version)
    • Voxengo CurveEQ
    • DeEsser
    • Studio Chorus
    • 30 band EQ GEQ-30
    • Expander

And this is just a list of the most important missing items in Cubase Artist compared to the "real thing".

Just trying to prevent you from disappointment.
    We've been talking about Cubase all the time, not another stripped down version. This won't save you money because you'll need to get other plugins to do the job.

The "not compatible with ..." remarks are there because many devices require a specific impedance of the pedal. The Profiler accepts high and low impedance pedals, so you don't have to worry about that.
    You don't want to buy active pedals (those with power supply/battery), passive pedals are fine when they are used as controllers.

he's not living near hotel vajra / swayambhunath by any chance? : ) i met a pretty talented young boy there some weeks ago... have fun there anyways!

No, he's not from Dallu, he's living in Kuleshwor. But there are many motivated and ambitious youngsters picking up a guitar if they can afford. Hope you enjoyed your stay near monkey temple. :)

... gab es einmal eine "Delete-Option" im Display des Browser-Modus ...

Die Taste hast du dir richtig gemerkt, aber sie erscheint erst dann, wenn du am BROWSE-Knopf drehst und damit in die Liste der Rigs kommst.

I think the switching noise is a pretty difficult issue for Kemper to solve. The Profiler can't run 2 Profiles at the same time and simply crossfade. So it can only be solved by introducing a buffer that holds a given ammount of the last played audio data while loading the next profile, put some of the next profile's audio data into another buffer, compare the buffers' content and switch at a common zero-crossing in both buffers. Alternatively they could use 2 buffers to make a quick cross-fade. But either way we have the dilemma of additional latency. Another option would be to do a quick fade-out, load the next profile, do a quick fade-in. But this would result in an audible dropout. I have no idea how to solve this switching noise without one of the above ways, but who am I to explain things to CK. :)

And one should take the taste of the nepalese musician also into consideration. Which kind of music does he prefer?

You're right about that. When I met him first time, he was like most young guitar starters. Nirvana's Teen Spirit, Guns'N'Roses Knocking on Heaven's Door, Metallica's Nothing Else Matters. But at the same time, he already "wrote" his own songs without knowing anything about music theory. During my last couple of visits to Nepal I spent a lot of time (actually months) with him, teaching, practicing, listening to a lot of very different music styles, watching concert DVDs, learning some theory ... and for some reason he managed to learn and understand a lot about music quickly. Now his interest is more into John Mayer, Mark Knopfler, Joe Bonamassa, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton and all these guys, I confess that I'm probably the culprit for this. Sure he admires even Hendrix and SRV, although I think he doesn't like the more "sharp as a knife" sounds of them for his own playing. He's absolutely crazy about guitar playing. You might not believe me when I tell you he's playing 6 hours per day minimum, using either the acoustic guitar or the electric guitar with Zoom G3X and headphones.
    And now it's time to give him the right tool to join a band or to play in (limited) public and first of all to get used to using an actual amp. He's still at the beginning of a lifetime's journey into music, we all know what I'm talking about. I just think he's ready now for the next step, and I'm sure the next couple of steps won't be metal. :)

Great, Geraldo. Looking forward to your thoughts. You know my taste a bit and I'm sure you can judge and tell. Especially if you can get some full (fat) and warm sound out of the British models, even at higher volumes.

Thanks Ingolf, good to hear that the Fender sounds are great. How about the "feel" playing at the edge of breakup, control the grit/distortion with playing dynamics? Feels good?

Yes, I agree 100%. Toto has made some GREAT music in the past that will last for decades to come. And I'm 100% sure, Luke is a VERY nice person to deal with. But when it comes to honest, open opinion about good AND bad, it gets pretty difficult to look behind his friendly and noncommittal attitude. :)

Hey gang,

I'm currently planning my next trip to Nepal and I would like to get an amp for a talented young guitar player in Kathmandu. My budget isn't enough to get him a real tube amp (or a Profiler). So I'm looking for the best option of a Solid State (DSP) Combo with plenty of power, good sound and some versatility at a lower price. From reading a few reviews it looks like the Fender Mustang III v2 would be a good choice but since I don't have a chance to try on my own without travelling to a big store ... anyone here who tried it and can give me some advice (or suggest other options)?

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: Something I forgot to specifically ask. I guess that Fender was able to model (their own) Fender sounds in an acceptable way. But how about the Marshall (British) sounds? Are they acceptable as well?

Luke's always Mr. Nice Guy. Everything phantastic, awesome, great, enjoyable when he's talking ... but there's always some "well, honestly I don't care at all" in his face. What he says about the Bogner amps, I wouldn't be surprised if he had said the same stuff about all of his gear in the past. While he's a gifted guitar player, I still consider him an example of pointless paid endorsements.

Well, if the requested sub-forum is meant to be totally off-topic (from pancake recipes to Excel scripting to photography to whatever you can imagine) then I certainly vote against it.
    If, on the other hand, the intention is a sub-forum that remains focussed on music related stuff (even in a broader perspective) then I'm all for it.