Posts by lightbox

In another thread back in February, I wrote:

I think it would be a good idea to get the most experienced profilers (and44, Armin, ...) and CK together and produce a "Best Practices in Profiling" video series. This investment clearly makes the strengths of the lunchbox much more "accessible" to us. I wouldn't mind to pay some extra to get this in-depth video workshop, but I could imagine that they would go for free as well since they would turn out as brilliant marketing for Kemper and professional profile producers as well.

I think the latest two videos by Bill are a perfect example how helpful and enlighting such videos can be for many if not all of us.
    It's worth to do more, maybe even setup a nicely designed, categorized, searchable microsite for this kind of videos. ;)

As I said before, in forum software with template systems you can manage multiple styles at the same time.
    As an administrator, you can choose the global default style for the whole show and you can set specific styles per subforum to override the user's choice of style where ever you want.
    I'm sure they've set specific style for most but not all subforums.

I detail:
    "Kemper Grey" style set for subforums (boardIDs): 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,26
    No specific override style set for subforums (boardIDs): 16,18,19

PS: Always kind of amazing and funny how it's possible to diagnose things without the opportunity to look inside the 'black box'. :D

Thanks, Joptunes.

I totally understand what you're saying. In terms of sound I slightly lean towards the PRS as well. Just very slightly.
    So the decision would be relatively easy if this Music Man Steve Morse Y2D wouldn't be such an amazing beauty (Honey Roasted) on it's way to get very rare.

Anyway, I think I will ask for one more day so I can sleep one more night until I decide.

Cheers,
    Martin

Big dilemma, I've been offered 2 great guitars but I can afford just one right now. But how to decide? I'm stuck.

First guitar:
    Music Man Steve Morse Y2D Honey Roasted with Floyd Rose

Second guitar:
    Paul Reed Smith 513 Maple 10-Top

Which one would you choose and why? Maybe your answers help me a bit to decide. Thanks.

Something I forgot to mention in my prior post:
    These greatest guitarists of all times can easily get their hands on the rarest and most expensive amps to try, buy, record, gig. It's way more difficult if not impossible for us regular mortals. But now with the Kemper we have a chance to try all these phantasic amps for free or for a small amount of money. I think this kind of "copying" is one of the most important achievements of the KPA. Personally, I'm not a big fan of copying the 100% exact sound of famous guitarists on specific songs/recordings including all effects and rig settings. But if I could get my hands on a set of profiles from a Van Weelden Twinkleland (inspired by Joe Bonamassa), how could I say no just to try and experience on my own?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You started to play guitar because you liked the sound of a guitar, no? Why the heck did you copy another guitarist? Couldn't you have started to play music on a completely new and never heard instrument like a plastocarbonized bungazinga? ;)
    Yes, that comparison isn't perfect. But basically I can judge if I like a specific sound and try to get close to it, while still making my own music. At least that's what I think about it.

I think this idea would break the whole idea of time based sequencing in such kind of software.
    It would require multiple play heads and it would pretty much forbid any "sequencing" of multiple tracks in a visually logic way.

So I really doubt there would be a "timeline" based sequencer to achieve that.
    Maybe a "step tracker" software could layer different tracks with different tempo. But I'm not using this kind of software.

Cheers,
    Martin

My roots are mostly in Bluesrock territory, with some occasional excursions to other, unknown places. :)
    My personal guess is 5 ... five different rigs I always come back playing.
    Highly depends on my mood, the guitar I pick and the actual style of music.
    Which ones? Hmm, let me try to make a ranking.

• Marshall Bluesbreaker Full2 (from TAF amp pack 6)
    • Fender 63 Vibrolux Full (from TAF Vintage & Rare Collection)
    • TwoRock 35 TS+ (from TAF amp pack 2)
    • Soldano 100 Crunch+ (from TAF amp pack 3)
    • Fender 53 Tweed Full (from TAF amp pack 4)

Wow, quite difficult to be honest. Still a few missing that I really like to play every once in a while, like the fabulous Orange Matamp or a couple of different Marshalls. But I think the 5 rigs above are the most important rigs by far ... for me.

The performance rigs are not stored as individual rigs but as Performance files including up to 5 rigs each.
    The Performance files have the suffix *.kipf and don't have "human readable" filenames. Instead the Performances 1 - 125 are stored as 0.kipf - 124.kipf (just to add a bit to the overall confusion, hehe).

There are many ways to benefit from Performance mode ... basically it's up to you how you use it.

Example: You like 1 specific amp for all of your music but you own and use (up to) 5 guitars.
    Create a performance and put your preferred amp's rig in all 5 slots. Now tweak and rename all slots so they fit to the guitar played. At the end you have all of your rigs in one place, simple to use and switch, without the trouble of the extensive list of profiles shown in browse mode. Browse mode can remain your archive or collection of rigs while performance mode is the place where you keep and organize the stuff you regularly use.

I'm not sure of course, but maybe you missed the fact that the rigs in Performance slots are actually stored in these slots, 100% independent of the rigs you keep in browse mode. They are not just links or references to the rigs in browse mode. So this gives you a total of 625 additional rigs to store, on top of the 1,000 rigs you can store in browse mode.

... if i connect to the interface via spdif and the interface to my monitors do i always need to be running Logic to hear sound??

No, you don't. The benefit of direct monitoring, often advertised as "zero latency monitoring".

And no, not all Focusrite interfaces have standalone mixing software, the 2i4 for example doesn't have. But this one has the necessary additional controls on the front panel.