Posts by The_Bass_Ace

Correct. You can multi-track the riff, but it has to be the same thing double/triple tracked. No alternating parts. Cool riff though. Also, you mean you can't share the profile itself or can't share info on who/where it is from? What is "expensive"? That's a relative term to many people.

Strange I didn't read anything on the "contest rules PDF" or on fluffs video saying that both left and right guitars have to be identical...

I'm glad you like my riff :D . well for me expensive is when a profile cost in the 100's€ section and not 10's€ section.
    This metal producer was reluctant when i wanted to share his name .I'll ask him again ;)
    And yes i cannot share the profiles. It was a deal we made. I could only buy his profiles if i didn't share them.

O guess i could share the profile chain:"maxon 808--->dual rectifier--->mesa stiletto cab---->sm57 + Royer 121".

Here's my argument why i think that Kemper >Axefx2: (from a metal players perspective)

I think that kemper sound just as good as a real mic'd up guitar rig and so do some of the world most renowned metal producers:
    The following songs were recorded using kemper on all guitars tracks:

Andy Sneap:
    Amon amarth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAcxbtXUgQ
    ACCEPT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbUXHTWZ9vk

Colin Richardson:
    Trivium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvSXocE6YY
    Carcass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KKYJD09qCk

Jason Suecof:
    Death Angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2x1nqJgkY (you can even see the kemper in the music video :D )
    The Black Dahlia Murder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kCyXLwhN0

Lasse lammert:
    Alestorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55CqLc6IR0

(I can give you evidence that they are really using kemper on all those tracks if someone doesn't believe me.)

I have never heard of a famous metal producer using Axefx2.on a recording. Well maybe for djent...
    Axefx2:
    Deftones:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyHNyWfQRQ
    Periphery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pskj9sbffg

Listening to those music videos i don't think that these professional axefx2 recordings sound like a "real" mic'd up amp. They sound very processed/scooped which off course some people like. Not my cup off tea.

On fractal audios "artist" page they have a lot big names on there but all the big names such as metallica, petrucci, megadeth but they ALL use real real amps on recording. They don't use axefx2's cabsimulator on recordings.
    "Marco Sfogli" who is also on fractals "artist" page didn't use axefx2's cabsimulator for recording guitars for dream theater singer James Labrie's soloproject, he used Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglHt_IWO2o

For me the end result is the most important. It doesn't matter to me if the Axefx2 has a lot more functions/FX's/routing possibilities etc.when the amp/cabsimulation isn't great so the end result won't sound great.
    I've honestly never heard a axefx2 recording that sounded stunning. Please send me a clip if you have honestly.

With the kemper I can have WORLDCLASS mixready guitar sound if i buy the right profile from the right metal producer.It's a dream come true for amature players with zero mixing skills like myself.
    Here's a clip of my expensive profile done by a professional metalproducer in action: https://soundcloud.com/tolszowy/riffsandbeards2
    I dare anyone to find any axefx2 cabsim recording amature or professional with guitar sound as good as in this clip!

After testing the axefx2 and kemper side by side for three days i'm more convinced then ever: Cabsimulation is a LOT better. Sounds more like a real amp thru poweramp and cabinet. Volume knob dynamics are better. And it's a lot cheaper. I think it's a no brainer. 8)

Rant off and good night! :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this clip I used a very expensive profile from a professional studio (that i can't share SORRY ;( )

I think it sounds great it's a profile of "maxon808-->dualrectifier---->mesa stilettocab---->sm57+royer 121"

Enjoy! 8)

Lol These threads always end up so bizarre. Axe FX and Kemper brothers posting from the same user name...I can't wait to see what the next ax2 vs Kemper thread brings.

(younger brother)

Well my brother did create a kemper forum account but he couldn't post anything since this is a "private forum". You have to be a registered user to comment private forums so he just used my kemper forum account. :P

I wonder how much your self admitted bias to the Kemper is influencing your "objective" tests and comparisons of both units ; )

Maybe your brother has some thoughts on this : )

(younger brother)

Haha well i was only joking ^^ . We did those tests together and i have my brothers approval. I honesty believe that we did try to make it fair for both units. We didn't have a lot of time and yes the axefx2 would probably sound better had we put in more time tweaking it. This is the result of about two hours of testing.

IMHO I believe that kemper sounds about 96% accurate when playing through poweramp and cab. 90% for Axefx2.
    Tone knob dynamics: Kemper was 95% accurate. Axefx2 about 85%.
    Cabsimulation: kemper 98% accurate. Axefx2 85% accurate using standard cabsim. Axefx2 using tonematch: 92%.accurate.
    FX: Kemper 85% quality. Axefx2: 95% quality.

This is only my opinion of what i've heard so far. Not really wanting to start a war or anything :whistling:

Hi all, this is "The_Base_Ace's" brother, and axe fx 2 owner (and previously a kemper owner as well!) :) Cute of my brother to start this thread haha

Just a quick background from where I'm coming from. I first purchased the axe fx 2 (mark 1) a couple of years ago and have been a happy axe user since then. I did also buy a kemper , i believe 2 years ago (?) and after a lot of hesitation I ended up selling the kemper. (I did put up the axe for sale first lol). Back then I thought the kemper sounded more like a real amp compared to the axe - I was still very happy with the tunes that the axe could produce though -, but because of several reasons like not owning a real amp (so couldn't profile my own amps), and liking to tweak and having a library of more than 100 amps to choose from in the axe, better FX etc, I still ended up selling the kemper and keeping the axe. My brother has always thought I was an idiot for choosing the axe and is constantly insisting on how much better the kemper is, and how much more "real" amp sounds you can achieve with a good profile in the kemper.

IMHO both the kemper and axe fx are amazing high end products and a wet dream for amateur guitarist like myself, as well as for many professionals.

In my opinion there is no difference in "feel" anymore between the kemper and axe fx 2, or at least the difference is minuscule now. Maybe, and just maybe I would give a slight edge to the kemper still when it comes to pure gain sounds, but this is comparing my brothers profiles created by professional studio engineers and my 5 minutes of tweaking an amp and cab block in the axe fx 2. I honestly don't think I give an honest representation of what the axe fx 2 can achieve tone wise, not by a long shot.

So, about this "shootout" that my brother prepared. I didn't even know these recordings would go up on these forums. My brother used like 1 hour to find a perfect mic position for his kemper profile; I spent between 5-15 min finding what I thought was a decent sound through the 4x 12. I didn't even dive in with my ear to really listen to the sound coming from the 4 x 12, and I only used an amp, and sometimes a boost (od 808) block. For example the 5153 was all knobs at noon. That's it. I didn't even touch the advance parameters, sag, crunch, dynamics, parametric/geometric equalizers etc on any of the sounds you hear. And it still sounds decent. I am 110% sure that if I fiddled more with it, used headphones etc the sound would be better, and not as harsh. For me it was just "yeah this sounds good when I sit in front of the 4x 12, let's try a recording". And my brother with his professional profiles is like "hah, the keepers sounds better !11!1337! told you so" kemper > axe !! :D

So, some people have asked what I did to create the sound. I actually first listened to the kemper, and tried creating something similar sound wise. I just used an amp block (the cab blocks were bypassed since the sound was going through a real cab) and/or a drive block most of the time and just used the basic EQ knobs, bass, treble, gain etc.

TLDR;
    Both units are awesome; the difference in sound quality between the units is in my opinion indistinguishable, or at the very least the difference is very minor now with the latest FW of both units. The sound if very dynamic from both units and responds just like a real amp and cleans up tastefully when you turn down the volume.

PROs and CONs IMHO of both units:
    Axe fx 2: PROS: excellent FX, can get good sound right of the box, "fun" (for me at least) to tweak and to choose from 100 of amps. The amps really feel like real amps with the latest FW.
    CONS: dependant on good IRs the get the "perfect sound" since that easily makes up like 50% of your sound if you go FRFR/direct in. Can be a hassle to go through copious amounts of IR/mic positions/mixes to find that sweetspot that you are happy with. There are good IR included in the axe fx 2 already, but then you are limited to those IR/sounds only.

Kemper PROS: can profile your own amps at home/in the studio to get the exact sound you like (preamp, IR if a included in the profile, and nowadays it can be fully separated AFAIK. Can purchase profiles done by professional studio engineers and have the "perfect" sound right of the bat with no tweaking. You get the full package right away, preamp, IR and you're done, no need to do anything more! Should you choose to do so, you can purchase IR and experiment with that.
    CONS: FX, need to shoot/purchase new profiles (not always, but sometimes) when you change tuning/guitar mics, or maybe taste. AFAIK inferior foot controller and editor; can't record via USB /reamp.

BOTH UNITS ARE OMFFFGG AMAZING WIN!!! I still prefer the axe fx 2 for my needs. Let the bashing begin!! :D:D:D

Best regards Jan.

Nope. As with Michael Britts profiles on the Kemper, these Yek presets on the Axe Fx sound so good that most of the time I dont need to change a thing. And thru my CLR FRFR speaker they really rock! ; )

I asked my brother and he said that XL patches won't work on standard XFX2 which suck IMO. ?(

Do you guys have any request how we should test both units through poweramp and cab?
    Maybee a FX shootout? First use Kempers internal reverb/relay/chorus on cleans and then connect the kemper to the XFX2 and use its FX's?

It's not really possible to compare the two devices since they work so differently. You can never really say that this profile and this model's settings 'should sound identical', and i think it has been long proven that neither unit has a 'signature sound' that you can average out.

What i'm really interested in is the 15 minutes it took to dial up the XFX models.
    Can you have your brother explain in detail, maybe step by step, what he did?

It always seems as if selecting a model and IR, maybe applying a bandpass should do it.
    What's involved in making a good XFX sound?

Since i'm not a axefx guy i have no idea what he was doing. But a lot of pressing buttons and turning knobs. :P
    I'll ask him if he wants to explain in detail...

Don't you think that it's a better idea to create a new unique sound only for the specific poweramp/cab you are using? We could try to use those presets if you want to but i'm not sure that they will work on my brothers Axefx2. He hasn't got the XL model.

Yeah you are absolutely right Paul.

My brother created the Axefx2 patches from scratch. It took him about 15 minutes of dialing for each sound. I myself didn't touch any knobs. I just chose a deadlight studio merged profile and put the cab simulation off.
    Listening in the same room the axefx and kemper sounded almost identical IMO. The new Axefx2 FW has come a long way in improving the feel of the playing. The Axefx2 feels/plays just as good as the kemper now IMO.

Hi fellow guitar nerds! :D

Me and my brother did a quick Kemper vs Axefx2 shootout through a cheap solidstate amp and a mic'd up cabinet.

Chain: Esp ldt with SD JB's-->Axefx2/Kemper-->loop return cheap chinese solidstate amp--->cheap chinese cabinet--->sm57 (sneap position..kind of :P )

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

https://soundcloud.com/tolszow…ough-poweramp-and-cabinet
    00-19 = Axefx2 5150.
    20-37= Kemper 5634+.(deadlight studios: "Peavey 6534+ 1960 C" with cab turned off)
    38-56= Axefx2 TS-5150.
    57-1.15= Kemper TS-5634+.(deadlight studios: "Peavey 6534+ 1960 F" with cab turned off)
    1.16-1.33= Axefx2 5153red100.
    1.34-1.52= Kemper 5153 50w.(deadlight studios: "EVH 5150 III F4" with cab turned off)

The audio quality isn't great but to my ears the kemper sounds a little more smooth and crunchy while the axefx2 sounds more harsh and compressed but the differences is not that big in my opinion. Both units sound great and play great IMO.
    What do you guys think?

Volume knob dynamics test:

both amps had the noise gate of.

First clip is kemper (deadlight studio "Diezel hagen 8 mesa" with cab sim off)
    Second clip is Axefx2 "preamp only tonematch" of the kemper profile i used in the earlier clip.

Axefx2 vs Kemper cabsimulation test:

First clip is Axefx2 with cabsimulation on into my my mixer.
    Second clip is a very expensive kemper profile from a professional studio (that i can't share SORRY! ;()
    Third clip is a Axefx2 tonematch of my studio profile with a litte bit work so it doesn't sond as harsh.

Enjoy! :thumbup: