Posts by b9788217979d0d8344db4da45919913948c2ac74

Today, I have opened my site where I am offering my Kemper profiles:

RiF's PLACE: www.rifsplace.com

The first profiles are up there, all for € 10 each. Paypal and instant automatic delivery:

• RiF-DR:
      Seeking to re-create the sound of a Dual Rectifier from about 2000 with a Rectifier 4x12 V30/T75 cabinet.
      Several drive pedals were profiled as well (e.g. OD808, 1984 SD-1, 1994 MT-2, 1991 DS-1, Big Muff Pi).
      All modes covered: Modern, Raw, Pushed, Vintage and Clean. 114 Studio Profiles.
      Link to product page with audio and images: www.rifsplace.com/dr.
    • RiF-30th:
      Seeking to re-create the sound of a Marshall 30th Anniversary from 1993 with a Kitty Hawk 4x12 Creamback/Greenback/V30 cabinet.
      Several drive pedals were profiled as well (e.g. OD808, SD-1, MT-2, DS-1, Big Muff Pi).
      All modes/channels covered: Lead, Crunch A/B/C, Clean. 71 Studio Profiles.
      Link to product page with audio and images: www.rifsplace.com/30th
    • RiF-KittyJr:
      Seeking to re-create the sound of a Kitty Hawk Junior Combo from 1984 with Kitty Hawk 4x12 Creamback/Greenback/V30 cabinet.
      Several drive pedals were profiled as well (e.g. OD808, SD-1, MT-2, DS-1, Big Muff Pi).
      Both inputs covered: Overdrive and Normal. 68 Studio Profiles.
      Link to product page with audio and images: www.rifsplace.com/kittyjr

My profiles are all categorized into Amp / Mode or Channel and what I call "Brightness Level". This ranges from A (darker) to B (normal) to C (brighter). This allows you to quickly find the profile you want even if there were 100's in the list. The use of the pedals is clearly labeled in the profile name as well.

Example: The profile "RiF-DR Mod B1 OD V30" is from the "RiF-DR" pack, Modern mode, Brightness Level Normal ("B"), 1st variation, OD808 pedal, V30 speaker

All profiles were made with an SM57 microphone through a BAE 1073 MP preamp. No digital gear (except for the KPA itself) used.

Also check out my blog at www.rifsplace.com/blog for some side-information about the pedals used, how to EQ KPA profiles and such.

I hope you like the profiles.

EDIT: Here are some audio demos (no post-processing on the guitars. Usually bone-dry without any KPA-FX. Some tones - esp. leads - have delay+reverb from the profile, e.g RiF-DR Psh):

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

---

Note that all product and company names used are (registered) brand names or trademarks of respective holders and I am not associated or affiliated with them. The names are solely used to describe the gear used during the profiling process.

I just set up email notifications for this forum, since I seem to be missing a lot of communication.

I was going to release three new songs end of January. But then again, this has been the plan since January ‘17 :)

Please let me know when you have the JCM800 profiles in the works - really looking forward to these

Hey outoftune,

please tell me when your songs are out!

My JCM800 has a bad volume pot (hopefully it's just this) on the boost channel and now sounds like a MS-2 micro amp even when everything is at 10. I have ordered some new ones. So the 800 profiles are a bit "behind the schedule"...

Well feel free to ask for constructive feedback, different ears as they say. Happy Holidays!

Good idea!

Here's where I am currently at. It's not meant to be Savatage's exact tone. I am just trying to squeeze kind of a typical Marshall-type of rock / metal tone (from Tom Morello to Scott Ian, knowing that this spans quite a range) out of my JCM 800 2205.

As I said, I am kind of running in circles around the tone and could need some feedback to find out where I am.

The clip shows the profile in action with my Gibson Les Paul Standard with a Duncan JB in the bridge position, tuned to drop-D. The guitars are bone dry, no fx/eq/reverb/delay on them at all.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Short list of the gear used: Boss SD-1 (from the early-mid 1980's ), Marshall 2205 Ch2 (1987 I think), Mesa 4x12 /w Celestion G12-T75, Shure SM57, Midas 502 preamp, Midas 512 EQ.

EDIT: The clip has been played with the Boss SD-1, but the profile has been made with the Driftwood OD808 pedal.

THE GOAL

Well, my first goal has been to try out my new API 500-rack from MIDAS. 6-slot lunchbox, 502 preamp/filters and 512 parametric EQ. The price just dropped significantly and I couldn't resist :-).

My second goal has been to get close to my favorite metal tones from Unearth, Machine Head, Devildriver and Arch Enemy. All of them used 5150's of some era or in combination with other amps. I tried to get kind of a middle ground tone while referencing the tracks Devildriver: Clouds over California, Unearth: The Great Dividers, Machine Head: Clenching the Fists of Dissent, Arch Enemy: Nemesis.

THE GEAR

So I grabbed my Bugera 6260, which is a 5150 clone, google'd up Machine Head's settings for the Crunch channel (yes, they do use the beefier crunch channel and not the lead channel). Maxon OD808 in front with the usual no-drive, mid-tone, high level setting. Then into my Mesa Rectifier 4x12 with British V30's. Mic'd up with an SM57 into my new MIDAS 502 pre and 512 EQ. The pre has been in TX (transformer)-mode, high- and low-pass-fiters were applied to get rid of excessive highs and very deep lows and some light EQing on the 512 to give it a bit more clarity and sparkle. Power comes from a Furman power conditioner.

BTW, I got this Bugera for €277 brand new back then! Decide for yourself and compare this to your favorite 5150 profile.

THE PROFILE

The profile can be found on the Rig Exchange by searching for "RiF-6260".

USAGE TIPS

• You might want to dial down the mids and up the highs a little for Machine Head's tone.
    • Try to increase the Definition for a crisper, less juicy tone.
    • This tone works great for leads as it is.
    • Turn down the gain. I think the KPA is usually better in dialing in less gain than it is in adding more gain, so I always profile with quite some gain.
    • For quad-tracking, try the combo of this profile with my Dual Recto profile "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 1 57x" (see sound sample.

THE SOUND SAMPLES

Here is a short clip to showcase the profile in action. The guitar has been a Charvel 750XL /w EMG 81 tuned to drop-B. All guitar tracks have been recorded directly from the Kemper's STACK output with no FX applied. PureCabinet off. Even in Pro Tools they are kept bone dry, no EQ, no reverb, no nothing. There's a Waves SSL bus compressor and iZotope Ozone 7's Maximizer (only that module) as a brickwall limiter on the mix bus, that's it.

The clip "KPA - RiF 6260 And DR - Ch3 Quad - Tracked Demo" shows the combo of my Dual Rectifier profile "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 1 57x" (see Rig Exchange as well) with this one in a quad-tracked setup.

THE PICTURES

Bugera 6260:

MIDAS 502 preamp, 512 EQ and Legend 6 lunchbox:

SM57 on V30 speaker , edge of cap:

Maxon OD808:

As always, I appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) from you guys.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Actually I am struggling for 3-4 weeks straight already to get a tone that I want out of my 2205 (with either a new Maxon OD808, a custom Driftwood amps OD808 or 1981 SD-1). I made dozens of profiles and I am feeling that I am running in circles around the tone.

And it's a bit hard to compare the profile to the actual tone from the record, because everything had been drenched in so much reverb in the 1980's...

dbVU and dbFS are just different metering scales, where all analog gear uses dbVU and digital gear can be set to different scales. The default is dbFS mostly, but you need to know what scale the metering is set to.

dbVU = the metering scale we know from cassette tape recorders (remember „VU-meters“?). Set your recording levels so that the meters hover around 0 and all is good. You can go some dB higher „into the red“ where at some time things start to distort gradually. That was easy, right?

Furthermore, the scale defines that you can go up to +18 dB „above zero“. Not without distortion probably.

dbFS = „full scale“. This is the digital scale, where 0 is actually the very top ceiling of what can be represented in a digital format. 0.00001 dB higher in lebvel and you are causing nasty digital distortion because the signal goes beyond the level that can be sampled in the given format, for example 16 bit. I personally consider this scale to be absolutely useless, misleading and the root cause for many bad sounding records. All meters in DAWs default to this scale! And people think that going up to „0“ like on their cassette recorders would be the way to go to get the best signal to noise ratio and whatnot.

But when the dbFS scale was invented, it defined that 0 dbVU is equivalent to -18 dB FS to give you the aforementioned 18 dB of headroom above 0.

So the corrext level is not 0 but -18.

Very few people know this, though.

The world would be a better place if every piece of gear would use the same scale by default: dbVU.

Here‘s a post that I did a few years ago on gearslutz on this topic:

https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…hp?p=7948600&postcount=17

I hope that helps.

If you list the actual gear (audio interface, mixer, DAW software, ...) you have, I can tell you exactly what to do.

Analog input sources like to see actual signal levels of 0dB VU (like going into a console, then to meters on the desk should hover around the „0“ mark).

If you are metering in the digital domain (like in your DAW or some control panel of your audio interface), this will be -18dB FS.

Once you‘ve set your output levels to meet one of those values, you‘re good to have the right levels everywhere.